What's new

PIF: 1918 Pocket Edition Gillette Old Type

Wow thank you so much! I am thrilled to have won this amazing piece of history but it will never mean as much to me as it will to our German friend @JAHE , who will make this a family heirloom to pass on to his son. I would feel guilty every time that I used it. Please send it to him where hopefully this razor will get another 103 years of use.
Well, that was unexpected! @JAHE, send me your friend's address whenever you're ready. This razor is really headed off on an adventure now! Thanks, @South Dakota Guy, that was a very kind gesture.

--Nick
Thank you @nicked78 for your very generous Pif! I will turn 60 next month and regrettably I don’t have a son to pass that razor on to. I could enjoy it for the years that I have left that God grants me and then I don’t know what would become of it. I will be happier knowing it will be cherished long after I am gone. Thank you again.

Genlemen,
I'm sitting here in my kitchen, heading off in a hurry to work in the early morning - and I'm speechless. What a heartwarming gesture this is. That's totally unbelievable!

All I can say right now is THANK YOU SO MUCH @nicked78 for the opportunity to participate in your VERY generous PIF and offering me a second chance to win it.

Now, THANK YOU SO MUCH @South Dakota Guy for your unbelievable gesture, too.

Even if I had to express my thankfulness in the words of my mother language I'd have a hard time to do it properly, because I'm absolutely blown away and overwelmed by your decision to pass this razor on to me in and to give me the opportunity to make it a heirloom razor for my little son. So pls accept my simple "THANK YOU SO MUCH " for the time being.

May both of you be even more blessed than I am today.

Last edited:
Well there had to be a consolation prize! :lol1: (I'll probably be banned for life for treating a FOCS that way!) @South Dakota Guy knows this razor has a faulty corner on one side, but he'll get one good side with which to try a slant and an open comb for the first time!! Big things and great experiences are headed his way! We're just having some fun with this now. Why not? Life's good.

Well there had to be a consolation prize! :lol1: (I'll probably be banned for life for treating a FOCS that way!) @South Dakota Guy knows this razor has a faulty corner on one side, but he'll get one good side with which to try a slant and an open comb for the first time!! Big things and great experiences are headed his way! We're just having some fun with this now. Why not? Life's good.
The compensation prize is such a cool move @nicked78.
In case this particular FOCS doesn't provide proper shaves to you @South Dakota Guy just let me know. I'll fix the faulty corner issue then 😉

Thank you @ all fine folks at B&B for the great spirit I was allowed to experience today. It's a pure joy to be here...!

Last edited:
I just wanted to thank @nicked78 and share my first experience with the Fatip Lo Storto he generously gifted to me.

Razor Fatip Lo Storto OC
Blade Personna Chrome Platinum-Israel
Brush PAA Peregrino
Soap Arko
Toner Lucky Tiger
AS Pinaud Clubman

Excellent shave today with a razor gifted to me by @nicked78 . This was my first shave with a slant razor and my first shave with an open comb. I used a steep angle and I was rewarded with an irritation free DFS. To be honest I was a little scared that this razor might be too aggressive but the steep angle tames them all!

I just wanted to thank @nicked78 and share my first experience with the Fatip Lo Storto he generously gifted to me.

Razor Fatip Lo Storto OC
Blade Personna Chrome Platinum-Israel
Brush PAA Peregrino
Soap Arko
Toner Lucky Tiger
AS Pinaud Clubman

Excellent shave today with a razor gifted to me by @nicked78 . This was my first shave with a slant razor and my first shave with an open comb. I used a steep angle and I was rewarded with an irritation free DFS. To be honest I was a little scared that this razor might be too aggressive but the steep angle tames them all!

That is so great to hear! Boy, YMMV strikes again because I just couldn't go steep with that one at all.

Welcome to the fun worlds of slants and open combs all at once. I wish you many more good shaves with the FOCS!

Dear @nicked78 and @South Dakota Guy !
I just wanted to let you guys know that Nick's parcel made its way safe and sound through the recent hurricane to the US East Coast. As agreed with Nick, my friend will keep the soap sample as a small surprise.

So I may take the opportunity to thank you again, in the name of my friend, in the same of my son and last but not least in my own name!

As soon as the razor hits german ground I'm going to post a review of the first shave with it. Unfortunately, It won't be possible earlier than January 2022.

THANK YOU!

That is so great to hear! Boy, YMMV strikes again because I just couldn't go steep with that one at all.

Welcome to the fun worlds of slants and open combs all at once. I wish you many more good shaves with the FOCS!
I will make sure to do some shaves for Slantember and post them in that thread. Do you have anymore slants or did you send me your one and only?

As soon as the razor hits german ground I'm going to post a review of the first shave with it. Unfortunately, It won't be possible earlier than January 2022.
It's been waiting over a century to find its way to you; what's a few more months? :thumbup: Great to hear it made it through the storm. Hope everyone out that way did the same.

Do you have anymore slants or did you send me your one and only?
I've still got my first slant, a Razorock German 37--highly recommended as a first slant razor, and really wonderful with a Kai blade in it! The barber pole handle it came with has also been fun to use on other razor heads (as I happened to do today with my Blackbird!) A win all around. Enjoy your Slantember journeys!

I've still got my first slant, a Razorock German 37--highly recommended as a first slant razor, and really wonderful with a Kai blade in it! The barber pole handle it came with has also been fun to use on other razor heads (as I happened to do today with my Blackbird!) A win all around. Enjoy your Slantember journeys!
I just used the FOCS again this morning. It was a really nice BBS shave, no drama. I even used the side you thought didn't clamp the blade well. I didn't notice a difference. Thanks again for that razor and enjoy your Slantembers as well!

Just a follow up to everyone, @JAHE sent me a German care package to show his thanks! What a nice member! I love this forum!

Irisch Moos.jpg

That's great news, Glen!
I'm glad you finally got your parcel, too.
You guys were awesome @South Dakota Guy @nicked78
Enjoy! 😀

The razor is still with my friend in the US, he unfortunately had to postpone his journey to Germany due to the ongoing Covid mess.

But: postponed is not abandoned! 😉 I'll post a review as soon as I can 😀

In the meantime, pls stay safe everyone & thank you all for being part of such a great community!

Last edited:
That's great news, Glen!
I'm glad you finally got your parcel, too.
You guys were awesome @South Dakota Guy @nicked78
Enjoy! 😀

The razor is still with my friend in the US, he unfortunately had to postpone his journey to Germany due to the ongoing Covid mess.

But: postponed is not abandoned! 😉 I'll post a review as soon as I can 😀

In the meantime, pls stay safe everyone & thank you all for being part of such a great community!
My curiosity was getting the best of me, so thank you for the report! I had figured that Omicron was responsible for the patina forming on this PIF! 😁 In the end, it is only a razor; it's more important that your friend gets to make the trip and see you. It will all work out in the end. Cheers!

Gentlemen,

It took a little eternity, but finally my friend in I have met here in Germany and he had a little something in his luggage for me... 😉

I haven't shaved with the Old Type to date, but I already have scheduled the shave for the upcoming weekend. When I received the set I gave it a very cautiously executed cleaning/polish - since I didn't want to ruin the plating but bring it's ancient charme (even better) back to life.

Before I'll show you the pictures, I'd like to take the opportunity to say THANK YOU @nicked78 and @South Dakota Guy for your generosity.

This goes out to you in my name and in the name of my son, who will inherit the set as soon as his shaving journey starts... okay, as soon as he's experienced enough to shave with such a razor 😉 😀

Unfortunately, I forgot to take my own picture in beforehand, so I dare to repost one of Nick's pictures.

Before:
tempImage4MjN3z-01.jpeg

After:
20220728_121517-01-01.jpeg

20220728_122644-01.jpeg

I'd say in this condition it should stand the test of time for another century 😀

I'll post my initial thoughts after the debut shave, as promised.

Thanks so much again, Gents! 😀

Last edited:
I'm in! Thanks for the chance.

I'm interested because that's one of the three Gillette razors I'm after. The other two are a new short comb and a 40's superspeed.
I still need an old type, but I have since this thread started acquired a New SC and a 53 superspeed (which is a 40's style I believe).

That set cleaned up very nicely. Good job and happy shaves.

Gentlemen,

It took a little eternity, but finally my friend in I have met here in Germany and he had a little something in his luggage for me... 😉

I haven't shaved with the Old Type to date, but I already have scheduled the shave for the upcoming weekend. When I received the set I gave it a very cautiously executed cleaning/polish - since I didn't want to ruin the plating but bring it's ancient charme (even better) back to life.

Before I'll show you the pictures, I'd like to take the opportunity to say THANK YOU @nicked78 and @South Dakota Guy for your generosity.

This goes out to you in my name and in the name of my son, who will inherit the set as soon as his shaving journey starts... okay, as soon as he's experienced enough to shave with such a razor 😉 😀

Unfortunately, I forgot to take my own picture in beforehand, so I dare to repost one of Nick's pictures.

Before:
View attachment 1495444

After:
View attachment 1495431
View attachment 1495432
I'd say in this condition it should stand the test of time for another century 😀

I'll post my initial thoughts after the debut shave, as promised.

Thanks so much again, Gents! 😀
Amazing! I'm so glad to hear it found its way to you, as did your good friend. It looks terrific due to a wonderful polishing job. I'm curious how you did it! And really looking forward to the shave report. (I hear sharks like aggressive razors with teeth!). Thanks for letting us see the results, @JAHE. May you and your son enjoy a great razor and piece of history.

Top Bottom