What's new

PIF: 1918 Pocket Edition Gillette Old Type

I'm really grateful for B&B. In January, I won a PIF from @HDSledge of a 1918 Pocket Edition (501) Gillette Old Type razor, case, and blade holder. The date code is H958875, which puts it very near the end of that year's run. In other words, probably right at the end of World War I. I've used it several times, and always felt I'd PIF it along when I was ready. I would be happy to see it bring some joy to another person's life, as it did to mine. Well, here it is, for your consideration as a PIF:

tempImage4MjN3z.jpg
tempImageteO27V.jpg

To make it more fun, I'll include a new, unused sample of Stirling Gin and Tonic on the Rocks soap,
and I've put a sampler of five different blades in the holder:

tempImageIvD8T5.jpg
tempImagebEv4hq.jpg

Here's a picture of the case exterior:

tempImageT62bzt.jpg

This is not an easy razor to shave with, in my opinion, but my technique is still improving. I probably related more to this razor for its historic significance than its shaving characteristics. That being said, I found that it taught me more about finding a shallow angle. In addition, it also opened up the whole world of vintage razors. I wouldn't have delved into Techs, NEW's, and the like, without having a chance to try this first from a trustworthy source. The razor is clean and sanitized.

To enter, just say "I'm in." CONUS only, please. If you feel so moved, you might share what interests you in the set. I'll leave this open until Wednesday, August 18, and then draw a random winner.

Good luck, and thanks for being a part of B&B!

I am in. I haven’t entered a Pif in a while. What intrigues me most is that this razor is over a hundred years old. I have never shaved with an open comb razor either. I love the basket weave pattern of that case. Early in my shaving journey I bought a few vintage Gillett razors and initial shave results were less than good. I feel that my shaving technique has improved quite a bit and I would enjoy testing myself with a razor that my grandfather might have used as a young man. Good luck to the winner!

I'm in, please.

I am based in Germany but I have a very close friend who lives in the US. We'll meet later this year again (around Christmas time) and he surely would receive the parcel for me and bring it over the pond in case I'm lucky enough to win this marvelous looking peace of history. If this breaks your PIF rules I"ll withdraw, for sure.

I saw the former PIF issued by @HDSledge but couldn't enter in since I took part in the annual sabbatical. The former PIF closed on January 1st so unfortunately I didn't have the chance to enter in in good time without breaking the sabbatical rules.
Maybe I'll get a second chance now...

My son was born in 2018, so a 1918 razor would make a perfect gift for him as some kind Brothers suggested over here...

In addition I love open comb razors and I don't have issues to shave with a more aggressive one (until I'd pass it on...)...

Good luck to all participants who say "I'm in" - the recipient will be truly blessed.

Thank you @nicked78 for this very generous PIF.

Last edited:
I am in. I haven’t entered a Pif in a while. What intrigues me most is that this razor is over a hundred years old. I have never shaved with an open comb razor either. I love the basket weave pattern of that case. Early in my shaving journey I bought a few vintage Gillett razors and initial shave results were less than good. I feel that my shaving technique has improved quite a bit and I would enjoy testing myself with a razor that my grandfather might have used as a young man. Good luck to the winner!
Welcome aboard!
I’m in. I’m interested because I’m still very new to the wet shaving scene and very excited about trying new things. I still haven’t tried a soap yet; only creams.
Welcome to the scene! Stirling is a great first soap to try (also a great 159th soap to try...). It's fairly soft and very easy to lather.
I'm in, please.

I am based in Germany but I have a very close friend who lives in the US. We'll meet later this year again (around Christmas time) and he surely would receive the parcel for me and bring it over the pond in case I'm lucky enough to win this marvelous looking peace of history. If this breaks your PIF rules I"ll withdraw, for sure.

I saw the former PIF issued by @HDSledge but couldn't enter in since I took part in the annual sabbatical. The former PIF closed on January 1st so unfortunately I didn't have the chance to enter in in good time without breaking the sabbatical rules.
Maybe I'll get a second chance now...

My son was born in 2018, so a 1918 razor would make a perfect gift for him as some kind Brothers suggested over here...
In addition I love open comb razors and I don't have issues to shave with a more aggressive one (until I'd pass it on...)...

Good luck to all participants who say "I'm in" - the recipient will be truly blessed.

Thank you @nicked78 for this very generous PIF.
No worries, you're in! It's funny how close you were to entering back in December.

Top Bottom