What's new

PIF: 1918 Pocket Edition Gillette Old Type

Gentlemen,

It took a little eternity, but finally my friend in I have met here in Germany and he had a little something in his luggage for me... 😉

I haven't shaved with the Old Type to date, but I already have scheduled the shave for the upcoming weekend. When I received the set I gave it a very cautiously executed cleaning/polish - since I didn't want to ruin the plating but bring it's ancient charme (even better) back to life.

Before I'll show you the pictures, I'd like to take the opportunity to say THANK YOU @nicked78 and @South Dakota Guy for your generosity.

This goes out to you in my name and in the name of my son, who will inherit the set as soon as his shaving journey starts... okay, as soon as he's experienced enough to shave with such a razor 😉 😀

Unfortunately, I forgot to take my own picture in beforehand, so I dare to repost one of Nick's pictures.

Before:
View attachment 1495444

After:
View attachment 1495431
View attachment 1495432
I'd say in this condition it should stand the test of time for another century 😀

I'll post my initial thoughts after the debut shave, as promised.

Thanks so much again, Gents! 😀
Finally! I am pleased that you finally received it. I am looking forward to your shave report.

20220731_094858-01.jpeg

Today I had the debut shave with this beautiful razor. I loaded a Shark Super Stainless, it was their seventh outing. It's been the final day of shark week, that's why I chose the blade.

The shave was a "middle of the road" one... I guess the worn blade was the reason for the mediocre shaving comfort I had today. The shave was not overly smooth, not overly rough either, but there was some tugginess (but it didn't bother me too badly).
She provides a good dose of blade feel, but it didn't feel menacing... perhaps in the ballpark of Fatip's Grande Mk I Open Comb, perhaps a tad less.
Nevertheless, it' s been an effective shave: only 2 passes and touchups made for an almost BBS result (one day worth of growth). The combo of the vintage razor and the modern blade performed well in this aspect. But I'd dare to say the level of performance would have even been increased with a fresh blade...

I definitely need more shaves with her to judge her adaequately. But she's a nimble and very maneuverable razor, thanks to the flat razor head. 👍

Overall, I really enjoyed the shave. Shaving with such a piece of history is special. During the shave my thoughts derailed and I wondered who shaved with this razor in the last 103 years... and under which circumstances these shaves might have taken place...?
Unfortunately, I'll never know.

I'll include her into my rotation and pamper her adaequately, so that I'll be able to hand her over to my son in good condition! Thanks again, my friends, for giving me the opportunity to do so...😀

Happy shaves!

Top Bottom