What's new

Pierre La Lune Impressions

In my experience, the feel is very hard and smooth and with a bit of water, the razor seems to skate for a bit but then will dig in. Under the tap it slows the razor down a lot then will quickly develop a firm grip rather quickly.
That's exactly how mine is behaving. When it digs in it feels like when a coticule is getting muddy from auto slurry and the razor tries to bite in. When i put oil on mine it was almost exactly like oil on a lapped translucent.

Hey guys just posting as i am still testing but awesome results thus far and easy razor refresh
My stone 8x3 2.5
Removed sticker and use both sides, one side ive slurry few time but butter smooth surface
Side where I removed sticker ( [emoji287]), moon is surprisingly best side, never have slurry just glass on two tone velvet plate
This is my fav side as silky glass, stone used thus far finisher only
Glad to have her in line up as creates smooth thuri like edge with sharpness that can be dialed in,,,,
I only do 16x strokes only , glycerin water, changing, rinsing every 5 strokes

Just reporting as I purchased out of curiosity and stone historical factors

Please note,,, in stilk testing but above yields awesome results and comfortable edge

Please also note that not all stones in same name equal,,,

Took chance up front went big and received what appears a choice slab, of this type natural
It appears was choice cut, no marks imperfections etc,,, while at first holding stone was not happy that side with sticker had blemish, but what an smooth butter side
Just reporting
proxy.php

proxy.php
Did it seem that the slurry picked up keenness a lot without the dulling effect of coticules? It seemed to speed up my purple one to put it almost on par with the black one. I understand why they are called la lune, they behave and have feedback unlike any other natural stone ive used. Like a weird mix of soft clay, stone, fired ceramic and hard rubber. If there were no chips taken out of mine i would guess maybe if asked if it could be synthetic or a reconstituted stone from ground abrasive minerals like novaculite. Pretty neat stuff.

I first thought these things are some kind of alien rock so being called "moon stones" is quite fitting. I can easily see how these would be a favorite for barbers, professional knife sharpeners and those whose use extremely fine tools needing highly refined edges.

First day i played with them i didn't care for them really at all and was ready to try to sell them to recoup the small pittance i paid for them, being unknown as to what they are to both me and the seller. I tried them dry and with water and dry with a pocket knife. Got sharper fast in 2 or 3 strokes but after that it just ate my edge. I left them sit for a couple days.

Yesterday lap them some and try to smooth the chips and cracks between layers in them, will do a proper job of lapping later. I read they are actually oil stones.... GREAT! I know many hate them but i love oil stones and i am meticulous about cleaning and degreasing them(lww lives in sg). I oiled up the "blue" one(looks black) couple smooth, light strokes with a knife ive never been able to get super sharp and it's popping hairs. Insanity. I shaved off an edge that i over honed a little and the edge degraded but it was still plenty sharp and smooth. I can image 4 or 5 super light strokes after a coticule finish dry or on oil would be insanely sharp and smooth. Im going to try it tonight, I'm at home sick from work today so i got time. I can rest and hone simultaneously, i swear! These knives were on a fine/hard washita, semi-translucent vintage smiths white hard then the moon rocks and they got a crazy polish on the bevel. 20210809_101010.jpg20210809_100847.jpg

I first thought these things are some kind of alien rock so being called "moon stones" is quite fitting. I can easily see how these would be a favorite for barbers, professional knife sharpeners and those whose use extremely fine tools needing highly refined edges.

First day i played with them i didn't care for them really at all and was ready to try to sell them to recoup the small pittance i paid for them, being unknown as to what they are to both me and the seller. I tried them dry and with water and dry with a pocket knife. Got sharper fast in 2 or 3 strokes but after that it just ate my edge. I left them sit for a couple days.

Yesterday lap them some and try to smooth the chips and cracks between layers in them, will do a proper job of lapping later. I read they are actually oil stones.... GREAT! I know many hate them but i love oil stones and i am meticulous about cleaning and degreasing them(lww lives in sg). I oiled up the "blue" one(looks black) couple smooth, light strokes with a knife ive never been able to get super sharp and it's popping hairs. Insanity. I shaved off an edge that i over honed a little and the edge degraded but it was still plenty sharp and smooth. I can image 4 or 5 super light strokes after a coticule finish dry or on oil would be insanely sharp and smooth. Im going to try it tonight, I'm at home sick from work today so i got time. I can rest and hone simultaneously, i swear! These knives were on a fine/hard washita, semi-translucent vintage smiths white hard then the moon rocks and they got a crazy polish on the bevel. View attachment 1309205View attachment 1309206

What impressed me the most about the stones was the speed they could bring an edge up.

What impressed me the most about the stones was the speed they could bring an edge up.
Yeah but at the same time without being overly aggressive as to cause chipping, which was a concern. When i saw how quickly it was eating steel off my kershaw pocket knife(which I've never been able to get sharp as i wanted) i was afraid it would chew a razor up and spit it out. The "blue" one is especially fast and fine. I really lucked into the stones especially for what i got them at. My first mystery stones turned out to be a 8x2x1 nearly pure white hard/fine washita and a fine India, both really old, both a win. This go around 3 moon stones. Ive been pretty happy playing mystery hone. Between tools, knives(so many knives), my sons swords and my razors i think i can find a place for just about anything.

Im setting up shave tests for 8k synth> blue la lune, coticule>blue la lune, veinette>hybrid layer dry, ark progression, and i got some old rock nat combo coticule coming in the mail and im going to finish it with an old norton hs-4 translucent(labeled hard) slip stone or my big primitive cut trans or primitive>hs-4. Should be interesting i haven't done 4 razors at once in a shave test like this before. I play with slurrying the lunes and see if i can do a dulled razor all the way up to finished, like with a coticule, at some point too. Should be fun.

With the veinette+lat i got a razor far sharper than i though possible on coticules alone. After stropping not only was it tree-topping throwing up a cloud of hair tips but when i say my thumb on the edge it was actually bitting in like a synth does. I think im going to buy a big lat around christmas. Beautiful finisher and after i tried finishing it dry i'll never do it any other way. It gets so much sharper that stropping on water only, just has to completely dry first.

20210807_160430.jpg20210807_130203.jpg20210809_142710.jpg

This thread been quiet
User report
Tried lune which has been sitting as been shaving testing new jnat and blk ark ( awesome edges)

After several shaves on other stones re tried la lune

Lite slurry using atoma 400, 16 x water only on dedicated stone side

Flip stone over, 16 x, water glycerin, finish water only

Shave results, extremely sharp efficient and extremely comfortable

La lune easily refreshed my edge

Edge kinda feels thuri, ark, jnat all in one

Edge achievement comfort and most notable was no irritation sfter the shave and skin feels clean and smooth and comfortable
Just reporting
proxy.php

proxy.php

Just finished a J. Rodgers Sheffield 5/8th's
Bevel reset w/1 layer Kapton tape on 2K Naniwa SS
Mid-range on Naniwa 4K Hayabusa and 8K Fugi
Two dozen or so laps on a large vintage Dark blue La-Lune with H2O and a couple drops of dish soap, HHT excellent.
Shave very nice and smooth, virtually no alum sting and BBS.
I will shave a couple more times like it is and then go back to the Fugi 8K and finish with the new La-Lune to compare shaving quality & experience.

Just finished a J. Rodgers Sheffield 5/8th's
Bevel reset w/1 layer Kapton tape on 2K Naniwa SS
Mid-range on Naniwa 4K Hayabusa and 8K Fugi
Two dozen or so laps on a large vintage Dark blue La-Lune with H2O and a couple drops of dish soap, HHT excellent.
Shave very nice and smooth, virtually no alum sting and BBS.
I will shave a couple more times like it is and then go back to the Fugi 8K and finish with the new La-Lune to compare shaving quality & experience.
It's insane how few strokes you need for that stone to really kick it up. My black one has ruined me on pocket knives.

No doubt! I have a handful of examples and they all provide excellent edges with little work on most of the steel I have used them on.

My jaw literally dropped the the first time I did about 7 or 8 strokes on my black one. It took my knife from very easily shaving arm hair to tree topping and shaving facial hair.

I've had one of these a while now and I've been very impressed with the la lune . The edges are as sharp as 12k naniwa and a tad smoother.

I've used it after the coticule and the la lune definitely improved sharper edge but extremely smooth.
I've used with water glycerin and water with a tad of hand soap which I liked .

so my impression of the la lune are very good indeed

I've had one of these a while now and I've been very impressed with the la lune . The edges are as sharp as 12k naniwa and a tad smoother.

I've used it after the coticule and the la lune definitely improved sharper edge but extremely smooth.
I've used with water glycerin and water with a tad of hand soap which I liked .

so my impression of the la lune are very good indeed

How would you compare the La Lune edge with the Les Lat hybrid side.

It's that long since I actually used the hybrid side I couldn't say . I do have a small Les lat and I haven't got round to using it yet?

when I did use the Les lat side some years ago I have to say the edges were sharper than your normal coticule but at times could be a little crisp. So I what did back then was a thew strokes on the la grosse jaune which did the trick .

nowerdays days I don't do dilucot I always finish on the 8k naniwa or Norton as a bench mark . Then I use a coticule with water .

I'm sure I will try the hybrid coticule at some point .

Reactions: Wid
I have a couple of Les Lats and I find that the La Lune stones that I have deliver an edge just as keen as the Les Lats but the La Lune edges are smoother and require much less work in general.

I have a couple of Les Lats and I find that the La Lune stones that I have deliver an edge just as keen as the Les Lats but the La Lune edges are smoother and require much less work in general.

Hey Frank, how do french razors do on the La Lune, say a Le Grelot? ;-)

If you do a search for a thread called " La Lune Special Stone...Anybody got one?" started by hig789 on March 25 2012
My reports start on page 8 using La Lune on a LeGrelot #193
The thread is in this section of the forum about three pages back.

Early testing////
I own both la lune and les lat
While only 3 shaves in les lat,, im liking edges better and think les lat edges vastly better than lune
Both great edges but les lat in different and better
2 shaves in coti side , superb edge
One shave with hybrid side also phenomenal
My initial impressions

Reactions: Wid
Early testing////
I own both la lune and les lat
While only 3 shaves in les lat,, im liking edges better and think les lat edges vastly better than lune
Both great edges but les lat in different and better
2 shaves in coti side , superb edge
One shave with hybrid side also phenomenal
My initial impressions
I feel like the les latneuses makes the edge feel for like an ark than a coticule(why I love them, ark/coti love child) and la lunes edge is more like a thuri and I don't just think it's the level of keenness I think they reshape the bevel into a similar shape. I can feel it in my fingertips and on my face. I think getting a loupe and microscope and comparing those 4 stones all on the same razor and see how the bevel is reshaped would make a really interesting thread. I kinda stumbled across both of those stones, the lunes were "mystery slates".

I just snagged my fifth? Or sixth? Vintage La lune. I've been trying to like them for 12 years. Never got an edge out of one that would make me put away a coticule, much less a Thuri. Les Lat's (A good, usable one that isn't covered in edge-damaging flaws) are much better. But maybe this one will change my mind.

I just snagged my fifth? Or sixth? Vintage La lune. I've been trying to like them for 12 years. Never got an edge out of one that would make me put away a coticule, much less a Thuri. Les Lat's (A good, usable one that isn't covered in edge-damaging flaws) are much better. But maybe this one will change my mind.
I use mine with knives mostly. The purple ones just sit on a shell but the 1x1x6.5 black one is great for bumping sharpness on pocket knives. I've finished razors on them a few times and they definitely sharpen the edge but I'm not that impressed with the edge it gives, even though keen. I agree a les latneuses is lightyears better. It's like a mix between a coticule and an ark, that's a hard combo to beat.

Top Bottom