What's new

Pictures: Should we reintroduce this?

Some years ago we had a line of soap lockers in many colors. The Gunmetal color was always the top seller. I thought I would survey and see if this is an item that there is interest in. The price back then was $29.95. No idea if that price can be adhered to or not. For the sake of this survey let's say the price remains the same.

The functional aspect is for a croap style soap to be removed from it's plastic container and impressed into this one. Secondly, many hard soaps will fit as well.

So what do you think? Would you buy one?

IMG_6974.jpeg

IMG_6973.jpeg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I would buy one. I have a few soaps that could use a classier home. Is this something I could lather the soap from?

Probably not as I don’t like the feeling of possibly breaking something that is somewhat expensive and nice. (Broke a glass butter dish once; than went to stainless steel.) Rather than croap or solid soap the appeal to me would be getting soaps packaged like Stirling sample/refills and Mike’s Natural refills and skipping the unnecessary hard plastic container. I like old school reusable milk and soda bottles.

What is the inside dimension? The reason I ask is because there has been quite a bit of interest in something large enough for SV pucks which measure 3.54", I think.

I just checked.. their replacement pucks are 90mm so the 3.54" is correct.

Their selection, though two of them are out of stock: https://www.saponificiovaresino.com/svstore/en/categoria/shaving/accessories/bowls/

These are hand made and so will vary slightly. Right now we do not have any, I just wanted to gauge interest at this point. The ones we had before are like this one in the picture. They measure generally 3 1/2" wide X 2" deep.

I should add that one of the appeals of this for me is that even though it is breakable, it is something that is going to be set off to the side like a brain bowl and not moved around. I don't own any lather bowls that aren't plastic because I am prone to knocking them on the floor. This would be a nice way to finally have a Captain's product. But if it isn't popular enough to make, I will stick with my crystal PTE jars.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
These are hand made and so will vary slightly. Right now we do not have any, I just wanted to gauge interest at this point. The ones we had before are like this one in the picture. They measure generally 3 1/2" wide X 2" deep.
Since they are handmade, you might consider increasing the diameter a bit to accommodate the larger 90mm soaps out there, say an internal diameter of 3.75". People here have been lamenting that none are available that are both deep and wide enough. I think you'd sell quite a few of them here alone.

Just a suggestion.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello Scott! 🙂

Hmm, I don't personally have a use for such a thing. Having said that however, people who have mug soaps or Stirling sample puks, could use something like that for sure!

What I'm most interested in, is getting my first copper bowl at some point.

Since they are handmade, you might consider increasing the diameter a bit to accommodate the larger 90mm soaps out there, say an internal diameter of 3.75". People here have been lamenting that none are available that are both deep and wide enough. I think you'd sell quite a few of them here alone.

Just a suggestion.
Very good feedback, thank you.

Even if we started making them it would be at least a couple of months. It is surprising how many iterations an item needs to go through before there is any consistency. With hand made goods by nature varying, it needs to be tightly dialed in before being release. Otherwise they fluctuate more than customers will accept and this is understandable.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Very good feedback, thank you.

Even if we started making them it would be at least a couple of months. It is surprising how many iterations an item needs to go through before there is any consistency. With hand made goods by nature varying, it needs to be tightly dialed in before being release. Otherwise they fluctuate more than customers will accept and this is understandable.

And thats one of the reasons why I believe in you Scott, because you have set standards, and you make sure that they are met. We all understand, and agree, that there will be some variation, with hand crafted pottery. Having said that however, major deviations, is not acceptable, so I am just glad that you are on it dude, much respect!

I was reading one of your posts, and I was amazed when you said that, depending on the exact location of the scuttle in the kiln, greatly effects how the glaze job, when it comes out when fired. There's clearly lots to know, and lots of ways things can go wrong. But you always stay on task, and make sure that the potter follows your set standards.

Thank you Scott!

I load my brushes from soap lockers that I have and it works great. Then you move to a Captain's Choice lather bowl or scuttle and life is good!
I bloom a little bit of hot water on top of the the soap (although this depends on which soap I’m using) and then start to build a lather in the container. When I have enough to build a good lather with I transfer it to my Captain Choice bowl and build it out from there. So I guess I’m saying yes I’d buy it if it’s harder than a “croap” but it doesn’t need to be a puck either.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I bloom a little bit of hot water on top of the the soap (although this depends on which soap I’m using) and then start to build a lather in the container. When I have enough to build a good lather with I transfer it to my Captain Choice bowl and build it out from there. So I guess I’m saying yes I’d buy it if it’s harder than a “croap” but it doesn’t need to be a puck either.
Good answer.

Top Bottom