What's new

Pictures: Should we reintroduce this?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
One of those might make an EXCELLENT Arko holder! Squish it down, maybe leave the lid propped up a bit....make me feel like I've gone to my happy place!

Edit: Oh! A red one would be perfect for that application!

Reactions: bjm
I really, really like this idea. For some, it might be the fancy sample soap container. I admit to being that person. Would I be willing to scrape my newly purchased bowl and put in this one? I could be tempted but unless that other tub was loaded to the rim, I would probably use the original tub. For a while.

Which gets me to another thought. When I'm getting lower in a tub, would I scrape it and put it in this bowl? I strangely think I absolutely would, maybe at the 1/2 or 1/3d level? Clear out that plastic tub for something you love, and put it in a container that shows you love it. "Put it in a container that shows you love it" sounds like the idea for this product? Maybe? With many makers putting money into lid/container design, I can see why abandoning the tub might be more problematic for some.

For SV soaps, I think this is a brilliant idea flat out. But, that may or may not be a small market size? Would I pull out my soaps of Opuntia and Desert Vetiver? I would if it would also be easy to label the container in some way. I am not opposed to my own masking tape, but that might distract from the artful look.

I guarantee if you made one, I would buy at least one. If that's what you want to know, you got it. If you want a consumer to buy more than one, I don't know. FTR, I love my bowl :)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a wood "bowl' that came with the Arlington D R Harris soap. It looks cheap to me. I'd gladly buy a CC soap locker, (esp if it's in the larger size to accommodate the SV 90mm pucks) and ditch the wood "bowl". I don't have any SV soaps yet but they are sure cheaper when you order just the puck. I know, with many of the soaps I now have, most of them are available wrapped in plastic or in a container at a much higher cost. A CC soap locker would have paid for itself by now. I'd probably end up with a few CC soap lockers... they look cool... and have a closeable lid.

I just found out about your soap locker from a previous thread. My wallet was grateful that you no longer carried them, as I'd be hard pressed not to buy one. If you were to sell them at $29.95 again, my wallet would be that much lighter.

Incidentally, what does the interior of the locker look like? Oddly enough, one of my preferred designs is the bowl that Tabac uses. The inside of the bowl allows any water to drain to the sides and bottom of the bowl (and also makes it possible to pour out the excess water). If your locker also had that design, someone would have to physically stop me from throwing my money at you! 😁

Last edited:
Incidentally, what does the interior of the locker look like? Oddly enough, one of my preferred designs is the bowl that Tabac uses. The inside of the bowl allows any water to drain to the sides and bottom of the bowl (and also makes it possible to pour out the excess water). If your locker also had that design, someone would have to physically stop me from throwing my money at you! 😁

The interior bottom of ours does not have that shape. Instead, it is a smoothly sloping interior. We do have prototypes already underway and will likely have a couple slightly different. When they are in hand here (maybe two weeks) I will post pics and see what everyone thinks.

Can you post a pic of the interior of a Tabac bowl here so I can see what it is you mention? Sometimes the written word is hard for me to visualize.

Can you post a pic of the interior of a Tabac bowl here so I can see what it is you mention?
Here it goes
5D35186B-48F3-46C1-8C92-E6AA2126D667.jpeg

If the soap locker has the ridges like the Tabac would be nice, but it’s not essencial for me.

I would buy a CC soap locker, but is important to fit D.R.Harris and SV refills.

I like the concept of scoop the soap to avoid contaminatio, however it’s really annoying to scoop a bit of soap and pressing into a bowl with my fingers. A soap locker can solve this problem, as I could transfer only a portion and the soap and brush load directly from the soap locker. This way I can rotate more soaps and avoid the probability of spoil a entire tube.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
If my Tabac bowl was empty of its puk, I would take a delicious photo of it for the Captain, but alas, its still got the original puk in it, so I can not show the inside bottom of the Tabac bowl lol. But Tabac is a quality soap, gotta love that sweet sweet tallow. Yes sir! 😁

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
In a Tabac jar, there are four approx. .25 inch wide by .25 inch thick raised areas placed 90 degrees apart around the circumference.
The raised areas are on the sides only, and do not extend significantly onto the bottom of the jar.
The outside diameter of a puck of Tabac soap is only slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the jar.
When the puck is placed into the jar and seated properly, the raised "ridges" displace the soap, and the soap is held firmly in place. There is no "space" to speak of under the puck of soap, above the bottom of the jar.
The purpose of the ridges are clearly to hold the soap in position so that brush swirling does not cause the puck, lubricated by water, to spin in the jar.
I use Tabac a LOT. I can see no effective way that these ridges would permit any more water drainage than if they were not present.
In any case, even if there were some space under the soap, the puck swells and becomes "one" with the wall of the jar, and there is no clear path for water to drain anyway.
As the puck softens with water exposure seeping down to the bottom, the puck would eventually be pushed down to the bottom anyway, closing up any potential reservoir that would tend to collect water.
While it is certainly possible to create such ridges in a hand thrown pot, the increased labor and thus increased cost to do so would not be something I would be willing to pay more for.

Here is a 3024x4032 picture of the ridges, with the picture gamma corrected to increase visibility in the white milk glass jar.

20220529_154703.jpg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
In a Tabac jar, there are four approx. .25 inch wide by .25 inch thick raised areas placed 90 degrees apart around the circumference.
The raised areas are on the sides only, and do not extend significantly onto the bottom of the jar.
The outside diameter of a puck of Tabac soap is only slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the jar.
When the puck is placed into the jar and seated properly, the raised "ridges" displace the soap, and the soap is held firmly in place. There is no "space" to speak of under the puck of soap, above the bottom of the jar.
The purpose of the ridges are clearly to hold the soap in position so that brush swirling does not cause the puck, lubricated by water, to spin in the jar.
I use Tabac a LOT. I can see no effective way that these ridges would permit any more water drainage than if they were not present.
In any case, even if there were some space under the soap, the puck swells and becomes "one" with the wall of the jar, and there is no clear path for water to drain anyway.
As the puck softens with water exposure seeping down to the bottom, the puck would eventually be pushed down to the bottom anyway, closing up any potential reservoir that would tend to collect water.
While it is certainly possible to create such ridges in a hand thrown pot, the increased labor and thus increased cost to do so would not be something I would be willing to pay more for.

Here is a 3024x4032 picture of the ridges, with the picture gamma corrected to increase visibility in the white milk glass jar.

View attachment 1463861

Isn't Phil amazing? He came through when I wasn't able to. Of course, it helps to have multiple Tabac bowls, so you always have one in an empty state, I am sure hehe. Thanks for sharing Phil, love it! :thumbup:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Isn't Phil amazing? He came through when I wasn't able to. Of course, it helps to have multiple Tabac bowls, so you always have one in an empty state, I am sure hehe. Thanks for sharing Phil, love it! :thumbup:
That jar is one of my reserve that I bought when Tabac changed from tallow to vegetable based formulas, so it was easy to pop the new puck out and grab a photo.

In addition to what other posters have mentioned above, the Tabac bowl also has a dome/convex shape at the bottom. This forces any water in the bowl to drain to the sides, away from the soap.
The interior bottom of ours does not have that shape. Instead, it is a smoothly sloping interior. We do have prototypes already underway and will likely have a couple slightly different. When they are in hand here (maybe two weeks) I will post pics and see what everyone thinks.

Can you post a pic of the interior of a Tabac bowl here so I can see what it is you mention? Sometimes the written word is hard for me to visualize.
In addition to what other posters have mentioned above, the Tabac bowl also has a dome/convex shape at the bottom. This forces any water in the bowl to drain to the sides, away from the soap. The notches on the aides of the bowl help hold the soap in place and also helps maintain a gap between the soap and the sides of the bowl. This means any excess water can be poured out without wetting the sides/bottom of the soap.
3A4F84D0-4DFA-478E-B4C0-E3B953E8802C.jpeg

Here's a shot of bottom of the bowl. It helps show off the dome shape better.

201A6F7A-8F86-42AA-9EBA-8C933384390C.jpeg

If you look closely, you can see there's a gap between the soap and the sides of the bowl.

0B606E57-90EC-44EB-B30C-C125436116A9.jpeg

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
In addition to what other posters have mentioned above, the Tabac bowl also has a dome/convex shape at the bottom. This forces any water in the bowl to drain to the sides, away from the soap.

In addition to what other posters have mentioned above, the Tabac bowl also has a dome/convex shape at the bottom. This forces any water in the bowl to drain to the sides, away from the soap. The notches on the aides of the bowl help hold the soap in place and also helps maintain a gap between the soap and the sides of the bowl. This means any excess water can be poured out without wetting the sides/bottom of the soap.
View attachment 1464080

View attachment 1464081

If you look closely, you can see there's a gap between the soap and the sides of the bowl.

View attachment 1464090
If you use that soap frequently, the puck swells and that gap disappears.
If you use it infrequently enough to allow the puck to dry, water drainage isn't an issue.

View attachment 1464080

View attachment 1464081

View attachment 1464090

AH! Thanks for the pictures, they tell the story. Not sure what is possible to be done with hand thrown pottery and each little feature adds time which means expense. It does help to have more info like this, much appreciated.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Scot,

I am looking forward to seeing the results of your potters' efforts in the coming weeks. I'm sure you'll end up with an improved product even though your previous soap lockers were so good.

I'll be ordering one as soon as you work out the details and get the final products released.

and btw, I just love the Aquamarine shaving bowl for my car keys. I hope Phil and I started a trend

Scot,

I am looking forward to seeing the results of your potters' efforts in the coming weeks. I'm sure you'll end up with an improved product even though your previous soap lockers were so good.

I'll be ordering one as soon as you work out the details and get the final products released.

and btw, I just love the Aquamarine shaving bowl for my car keys. I hope Phil and I started a trend

That is a good one and we can only hope. I have received emails detailing a tug of war ensuing with the better half once a box is opened with one of our lather bowls inside.

If you use that soap frequently, the puck swells and that gap disappears.
If you use it infrequently enough to allow the puck to dry, water drainage isn't an issue.
I shave about every 2-3 days (my bears grows slowly) so my puck is usually dry. I also (now) hold my puck in my off hand when making lather. But I tried blooming the soap in the bowl before lathering before; I appreciated how any excess water was drawn away from the soap.

Of course, other folks may have different experiences with their Tabac bowls. It's another part of the whole YMMV aspect of shaving. 🙂

AH! Thanks for the pictures, they tell the story. Not sure what is possible to be done with hand thrown pottery and each little feature adds time which means expense. It does help to have more info like this, much appreciated.
No worries! You make great products. TBH, even if you don't include a notch and/or the dome, I'll probably buy a soap locker anyway. It'll probably end up holding loose soap pucks when I shave. 🙂

Would this be able to hold a Mitchell Wool Fat puck (8cm in diameter)?

Nice looking soap container @Captain Pre-Capsize! I guess a Copper one would be out of the question as it would be in too much liquid contact for a longer period of time, right? Or could the inside be enamelled?

Guido

Top Bottom