What's new

Pictures of new product - tell me your opinion

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'll add this.
I'm a face lather guy, not a bowl lather guy, but...
I've been eyeballing several of your lather bowls because they are cool and very design conscious.
I am going to get some for other purposes:
Coin bowl, to keep my dresser valet coin free.
A key bowl to keep the vehicle keys in. My wife misplaces keys, and this would solve that.
I sometimes make my own soap, and I like big rounds, the problem - no decent container to hold them.
There are dozens of uses for these besides their original intended purpose.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'll add this.
I'm a face lather guy, not a bowl lather guy, but...
I've been eyeballing several of your lather bowls because they are cool and very design conscious.
I am going to get some for other purposes:
Coin bowl, to keep my dresser valet coin free.
A key bowl to keep the vehicle keys in. My wife misplaces keys, and this would solve that.
I sometimes make my own soap, and I like big rounds, the problem - no decent container to hold them.
There are dozens of uses for these besides their original intended purpose.
Phil,

What a great idea. I really want the CC's aquamarine copper bowl but I have a perfect bowl for lathering. If I put a round piece of soft leather or felt in the bottom, it would be perfect for my car keys. As it is, I lay them on top of a butcher block we have in our dining room so I always know where they are..... it would go perfect there.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil,

What a great idea. I really want the CC's aquamarine copper bowl but I have a perfect bowl for lathering. If I put a round piece of soft leather or felt in the bottom, it would be perfect for my car keys. As it is, I lay them on top of a butcher block we have in our dining room so I always know where they are..... it would go perfect there.
Done!

Image1.jpg

Scott, I'm good on lather bowls for now so I won't be buying another one any time soon.

Personally, I tend to prefer your Seaworthy bowls over your Classic bowls. I like the way they have that upward slant at the base, making it easier to secure the bowl in my hand. As such, I'd score the Seaworthy bowls higher by giving them each a 0.5 point bonus.

I really like how the exterior of the black(?)/blue(?) and white bowls look, but I'm not fond of how the interiors look. The huge splotches i side are not as appealing to me. If they were just random crackles of black/blue instead of the splotches, I think that'd be more attractive.

In terms of scoring, the exterior of the bowls is about an 8 but the interiors are about a 4.

The green bowls look pretty standard. They're neither hit out of the ballpark attractive, nor are they swing and a miss unappealing. They're solid 6.5, IMHO. In all honesty, I think you already offer better looking bowls than the green ones.

The green rounded one could tempt me but I’d need one without the logo. This is the main reason that I don’t have one of these yet. The logo is too loud for me. A small subtle stamp would be better.

I am a scuttle/Bowl lather guy. 7 on the green, 9 for the speckled. The latter reminds me of a Robin's egg. Very nice color and pattern.

Any consideration to giving Scuttles a try Cap'n?

Actually we have a pretty popular line of scuttles in our store. They were introduced about six months ago or so.

It was a burden, a real burden, but during development I was forced - oh, the agony - to buy a number of scuttles to try out. :biggrin1: Marketing research, yes deductible marketing research is what they call it (cough, cough...)

My ranking:

Green - 8/10
Speckled - 3/10

I think the speckled look might be nice in other colors. The blue and white makes me think of bird eggs.

While I'm thinking about it. Why doesn't anyone make a lather bowl where the top lip curves in to keep the lather from creeping up and over the sides? Maybe it's been tried and it doesn't work like I think it would.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My ranking:

Green - 8/10
Speckled - 3/10

I think the speckled look might be nice in other colors. The blue and white makes me think of bird eggs.

While I'm thinking about it. Why doesn't anyone make a lather bowl where the top lip curves in to keep the lather from creeping up and over the sides? Maybe it's been tried and it doesn't work like I think it would.
I have a lipped bowl that keeps the lather in the bowl.... any splatters end up on the rim... I love rimmed soup bowls. That's probably what attracted me to a lipped shaving bowl... Scot might consider that for a new product line if he so chooses... though CC already has an amazing product line... you can only make so many.

The ones with the rim curving in might interfere with the brush movement.. at least, that's why I would shy away from them. Some of the experimental bowls Scot had were like that, if I recall correctly. I would think you'd have to hold your brush at an inward angle. I guess that wouldn't be such a big deal. I like the hmmmm freedom of holding a brush at any angle, perhaps.

Actually there is a company that has an item like that - Captain's Choice. :biggrin1:

Here is a pic from our site. This was the original design and that trait is an important one.

IMG_6188.jpg

I like the greenish one on the left. The only way I would keep the one on the right is if it were a gift. It is a personal preference, and my preference is a hard no. However, I have come to personally understand that your lather bowls work great.

I'll be frank. I don't like either one. My kitchen was a similar color green before I painted it, so that could skew my opinion. Just imagine a whole room painted that color. The blotchy one is just too much. I'd like if it was more of a marble streaky look like the white bowl in your prototypes sale thread.

Seafoam-ish green: 2
I'm not a fan of it. It looks like an artificially relic'd version of a decent color, and I'm not into that at all.

Speckled: 7
I wholeheartedly agree with the robin's egg and Holstein cow comments, and to me, those are compliments!

I don't know if there's a market for it, but it would be interesting to see the speckled one with a black base and neon green/orange/pink speckles, like one of those blacklight posters my mom used to have.

That being said, I wouldn't buy a ceramic lather bowl. I'm way more into your copper bowls!

Here is a test version of Prairie Style in a scuttle. With any new glaze it does take time and effort to ensure the glaze works both for the lather bowls as well as scuttles. Secondly, there is the issue of consistency. Is the glaze temperamental depending on where an item is located inside the kiln? So more variables than I care to list.

image.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Here is a test version of Prairie Style in a scuttle. With any new glaze it does take time and effort to ensure the glaze works both for the lather bowls as well as scuttles. Secondly, there is the issue of consistency. Is the glaze temperamental depending on where an item is located inside the kiln? So more variables than I care to list.

View attachment 1457518
That actually looks better than the bowl.

Top Bottom