What's new

pictures not loading

garyg

B&B membership has its percs

Won't load completely - I've noticed this a couple times recently

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It also happens to me, I think because my primitive rural DSL internet is pretty slow. Certain posts have, say, six absolutely HUGE pics, well over the recommended 60K - 100K for forums. Kills my computer and anything else running the bandwidth.

Maybe a size limit when uploading image attachments would help.

I have Cox Gigablast and the photo above loaded instantly. I guess Doug and Jim are right: it's your broadband speed.

I have noted that when I visit my brother-in-law his internet speed is much slower. I have to refresh the page once or twice to get some pics.

The images load for me just fine but I'm on an enterprise level, hard-wired connection. That being said, I will point out the images in the post linked to above are full-resolution .jpg's (3000 x 4000 pixels) with a file-size of 4MB each, give or take.

Resizing them to 600x800 pixels, which is plenty big for any forum posting, really, brings the file-size down to under 300KB.

Last edited:
I’m on Cox Ultimate @ 500MBps and the page with photos loaded instantly. Have you run an Ookla Speedtest on your connection? I’m getting 302Mbps which is down from my usual 350Mbps.

53969558-8DDF-46FF-8197-D802E42050C8.png

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When uploading pics on B&B, some forget that many others may not have GB/sec bandwidth. In the Philippines, we consider anything over about 20kB/sec lightening fast.

When attaching pictures, I first reduce their size to a few hundred kB and then only attach thumbnails. I wish some others were as considerate.

Perhaps the admin could incorporate an automatic picture resizer in the board's software.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
i think this already exists as an easy enough choice to resize, people may not realize it or know how to use it.
To the best of my knowledge, the software on which B&B runs does not automatically resize large picture files.

There are many programmes available (many for free) that will resize a picture files down to your predetermined size with just one or two mouse clicks.

There are a few threads in B&B that I would enjoy reading but rarely do so due to most of their posts containing picture files of the multiple megabite size, particularly in the SR section.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Remember that residential neighborhood cable and phone networks are engineered to handle traffic based on usage algorithms that are not in sync with the current situation. With so many people working from home and then staying home instead of going out, the networks are really saturated right now - definitely slows speeds. Most of the larger cable companies in the USA are doing 'node splits' to augment the bandwidth going into residential areas, but it is a slow (and expensive) process.

Unless you are in a rural area served by a small telco or 'mom & pop' cable company, things should eventually speed back up.

Top Bottom