What's new

Pictures - how a copper lather bowl is made

Production is under way, one copper lather bowl at a time. We are hopeful that these will be available for our (very patient!) customers in October.

Each bowl starts as a flat sheet of copper and is manually worked into a bowl shape. As you can see there is a lot of hammering and flames involved! But in the end, you get one beautiful lather bowl that has no compare.

Here is the process, roughly in sequence.

First, a special hammer is used that has dimples on it. When the copper is struck it leaves behind the "hammered" look that is so appealing.

20180906_152918.jpg

Next, the hammered flat round sheet of copper is heated over an open flame until it is almost translucent.

20180906_150914.jpg

The bowl is formed. This picture shows the lip of the bowl being rolled over.

IMG_4418.JPG

We are getting there. More hammered finish added to the side.

IMG_4351.jpeg

Next it is time to first make our company logo that goes onto the outside of the bowl. But this is more than our logo. Importantly it serves as a thumb rest to give you a more secure grip on the bowl when it is wet.

As you can see it is a separate piece of copper that will be cut into a round shape and then soldered onto the outside of the bowl.

IMG_4422.JPG
IMG_4424.JPG

Now it is time to stamp our name onto the bottom.

IMG_4427.JPG
IMG_4430.JPG

Time for more flames so that the shiny bowl has just the right look to it that The Captain is after.

IMG_4354.jpeg

And here is the finished bowl!

IMG_4436.JPG

Sweet looking bowl and great photo essay! I think one of those copper bowls would look great on my sink next to my blue ceramic CC bowl. One for lathering and one for hand soap? Work with me here; I need an excuse.

Thanks guys, for you kind comments. This has been a six month project, getting it just right and I am convinced we have really nailed it.

When and where will these be available?

Just today I heard from the factory and we are looking at the first part of October if things keep moving along. Since they are hand made there is no hurrying up the process but I see that as a good thing. Each will share much in common with our ceramic lather bowls in that no two are exactly the same. Each will be a real keepsake for its owner and no fear of it breaking!

Are the bowls sold out?

The initial twenty sold out in three days on a pre-order list, that may be what you are thinking of. We upped our order to be sure and have some for our store. Frankly, once they arrive I see putting in another order again since there is a lead time involved.

In the meantime I have some music to get us by because - believe me - it is killing me, this waiting:

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yup! That’s what I recall now. The initial 20. I should have jumped on one of those for the auction.

Top Bottom