What's new

[Picture] Ingrown hairs from ATG 1st pass accident

ingrown.jpg
ingrown.jpg
Hello, shaved against the grain accidentally. Minding my beard map, instead of going XTG basically not following beard map, I forgot my beard map orientation and went directly ATG.

My Dermatologist gave me hydrocortisone cream and reccomended laser hair removal.

My question is... If I keep the area clean and not inflamed, will it resolve on it's own???
I made sure all of my shave equipment was clean so I doubt any infection will result unless of course it's unpredictable.
proxy.php

Attachments

• ingrown2.jpg
    ingrown2.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 19
hard to say. don't these usually form under skin "bumps" that result in infections (regardless of equipment) that eventually release the trapped hair. I've also seen some folks very very carefully try to release them physically.

hope it gets better quickly.

Looks like you did the right thing in seeing a Dermatologist. I rarely go against the grain anymore as a bbs is not worth it for me. I hope it heals up OK for you.

hard to say. don't these usually form under skin "bumps" that result in infections (regardless of equipment) that eventually release the trapped hair. I've also seen some folks very very carefully try to release them physically.

hope it gets better quickly.

It may, but using my reasoning, this is what happens: When you shave ATG (especially accidentally), there may be some weight of the bar that is pushing your skin down. Skin is flexible. What happens is, the razor cuts the hair and makes the hair itself super sharp, and it cuts the hair below the level of the skin. When the razor leaves the region, the skin springs back up, and the pore encloses around the hair follicle. The sharp hair then irritates the skin from under the surface. So when you do ATG, literally DO NOT DO ANY PRESSURE, and do not stretch the skin. That's why some people also recommend cold water DURING a shave because it'll contract your skin and tighten up your pores.

Itching, touching, etc will result in an infection. In fact it has a high chance of becoming infected as it is, though if I avoid touching it and since I practiced a ridiculously sterile shave ritual, my body should be able to control it. I do dab Dickinson Witch Hazel 14% once-twice daily to control the skin bacteria and reduce inflammation. It can infect if the hair follicle produces its own oil, becoming stagnant, but lets hope the best. If it was infected it would be peeling intensely, pus, etc.
I read that a black man with a FULL NECK of ingrown hairs had them resolve by themselves after a month. Since my hairs don't curl and grow straight, it can resolve on its own. I'll update but my dermatologist wants to do laser hair removal, while I want to see if it will resolve in 4 months. I have a dermatology appointment in two weeks and I'll ask my doctor if she herself recommends the laser hair removal, or if it will go away on its own.

Thanks for the responses you both.

Top Bottom