What's new

*PICS* The difference between Pure, Best and Silvertip Badger.....

Perfectly explained!! I've been working with a Pure Badger from TAOS (my first), all the while looking for that ideal Silvertip. Very glad I read this post first, saved me some serious cash. With regards to the C&E Best: "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. It is SO choice." Thanks Joel!!

That Edwin Jagger brush,is it the same as these?
http://www.gents.co.uk/products/Edwin-Jagger-Shave-Kit-Ebony.htm
http://www.gents.co.uk/products/edwin-jagger-shave-kit-ivory.htm

I just got into wetshaving and got all my gear this week. I got that kit plus a Merkur 38C (Barbers Pole) from classicshaving. Been watching some instruction videos on youtube as well and I've tried it twice now with very good results. First I didn't have the brush or soap, they did a huuge difference in the shave.

All in all I am very happy with my setup.

Very good explanation, extremely informative.

What about the difference between SilverTip and Super Badger ? Are they they same of different, and if different, which one is of higher "quality" ?

David

Very good explanation, extremely informative.

What about the difference between SilverTip and Super Badger ? Are they they same of different, and if different, which one is of higher "quality" ?

David

Silvertip is of higher quality than super. There are only a few manufacturers who use "super" and most I wouldn't buy a brush from anyways :biggrin:

Thanks Joel for the reply. I have a C&E (made by E Jagger of course), Super Badger. While it is fairly large (almost too big), the badger hair feels great, much more luxurious that the Plisson Pure badgers I use as well. Although most of the time I do use the Plisson as its more of an "everyday" type brush in my book. I'm just wondering how that Super badger compares to a SilverTip, which I don't own currently, but may try if the opportunity arises.

Great forum, by the way. My wife thinks I'm a bit of a nut already with this wet shaving hobby, but she indulges my pastime as it ultimately does result in a smooth shaved, nice smelling hubby.

David

Great review!

I just started wetshaving and am using an HD and a $20 pure badger brush.
I can't wait to try out a best or silvertip brush!

Very nice job on the thread.

I'm amazed how in every other area YMMV is the only truth, but when it comes to brushes almost everyone agrees that the $35 C&E Best Badger Brush is an exceptional brush and a great value. C&E should start a rumor that they are discontinuing them and their sales would triple overnight. :001_rolle

Joel et al,

Thanks for all the info. I honestly think I have learned more about small rodent hair than I ever would have thought I would. :drool:

Looks like a trip to the local mall on Monday and a stop at C&E for the Best. Razor and strop are on the way, so if all goes well, the wifey will have a smooth hubby soon.:biggrin:

Hi Joel, thank you very much for this excellent informative review. What is the knot size of the brushes you have tested?

I am currently looking for a new badger brush. Some months ago, I bought a Plisson budget shaving set including a brush, a stand, a mug and a soap. The brush s... as after a few uses, the handle has separated from the hair :sad:
I will try to find the best badger at a C&E French store or else order it online - there are enough websites recommended in this thread :w00t:

You can by an Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush online at The English Shaving Company (theenglishshavingcompany.com) for $35.00. You can buy in $ and they with ship it at a total cost of about $43.00. I just bought one.

Top Bottom