What's new

*PICS* The difference between Pure, Best and Silvertip Badger.....

Hi Joel, thank you very much for this excellent informative review. What is the knot size of the brushes you have tested?

I am currently looking for a new badger brush. Some months ago, I bought a Plisson budget shaving set including a brush, a stand, a mug and a soap. The brush s... as after a few uses, the handle has separated from the hair :sad:
I will try to find the best badger at a C&E French store or else order it online - there are enough websites recommended in this thread :w00t:

some epoxy will render that good as new

Very informative nice to see the different types. i have a art of shaving brush which i brought i new York, which i am very pleased with i believe it is a best bristle $ 40 i think.

Cheers Viper 51

Newbie question I guess... often I see brushes described as "Super Badger" or "Finest Badger" (B&BE for example) rather than 'pure', 'best', or 'Silvertip'.

What do those terms indicate? Are there any other terms besides those, and where might they fit?

I like those photos of shaving equipment in close proximity of fine alcoholic spirits. I think I might be missing an ancillary nuance of wet shaving. I think I need to find a way to move the shaving place next to the liquor cabinet or the liquor cabinet into the bathroom. :biggrin:

And I wonder if Sue can concoct a eau de single malt scotch shaving soap.:lol:

Please, for safetys sake, shave THEN imbibe! :)

Newbie question I guess... often I see brushes described as "Super Badger" or "Finest Badger" (B&BE for example) rather than 'pure', 'best', or 'Silvertip'.

What do those terms indicate? Are there any other terms besides those, and where might they fit?

Totally depends on the maker, brand, source, or marketing fella in charge of detailing what the hair is.

For some (a la Rooney) Finest it is their top range - above their silvertip and "super silvertip" (whatever the beans that is). Other brands however mark finest as below silvertip.

Super badger is typically in between best and silvertip.

In the case of the BBE - finest means, the finest hair you're going to get (unbleached) for under $100. No marketing b/s, or silly titles. The whole "finest, best, super" etc is largely hogwash and utterly meaningless to badger farms - however on the same token the cryptic numbering/lettering grades they rate badger with aren't particularly enlightening either.

Nice comparison of different brushes, Joel. I have also tried the three different brushes belonging to the M-P brand from Germany and agree on most of what you said allready. I use the best badger on a daily basis, the pure badger for travel and the silver tipp when I want to pamper myself (to enjoy the soft brush caressing my face, usually sundays and holidays when shaving is a more relaxed ritual). There is yet one more thing that I noticed that you perhaps did not mention and that is that the silver tip produces the most amount of lather but it seems to remain in the brush, delivering less to the face. The pure badger on the other hand produces less but lets it flow over to the face easily and the best badger lies in between. I agree with you that the best badger is the "best" compromise.

Thank you for the very informative run down on the brushes! I hope to shoot for the middle of the pack here. That silvertip is beautiful.

Excellent job Joel. I currently own a EJ Chatsworth Silvertip badger brush, is it going to be worth purchasing a "Best" badger brush?.

Thanks

Thanks for the comparison. I see the same attributes with my C&E Best and Muhle Pinsel Silvertip brushes. The C&E Best does everything just right, as does the MP but with a more luxurious feel to the skin. I could have been perfectly happy with just my C&E, but at $45 I couldn't turn down the MP (turned out to be an awesome little brush).

Thank you very much Joel. The GF is buying me a brush for Hannukah. I consulted this thread before going with the EJ Super, from this site. I was glad to find a horn handle. I love the look. :001_rolle

Top Bottom