What's new

Pics: Slant VS Classic

Everything has been said about these two fine razors, but for those hesitating between them, here are some close-up photographs.

The Classic and the Slant have the same length, but the latter has a thicker handle (the same as the Hefty Classic). Their mechanisms are also different: you have to unscrew the whole handle of the Classic when the Slant has an independent, rotating device at the end of its handle.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The main difference is obviously in the head part of the Slant which is, as the name suggests, slanted. The other main difference that you must be wary of is the blade exposure. The Slant Bar, as evidenced by the photographs, is far more aggressive:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

If you want more photographs, don’t hesitate. I’ll provide more.

Wow that's really helpful, I was planning to pick up a slantbar at the weekend. One thing I can't get my head around, are both sides identical or do they slant in opposite directions. I.e. is there any difference to how the two sides shave, can you use either side and swap sides while shaving, or is one side more vicious than the other?

Iwan said:
Wow that's really helpful, I was planning to pick up a slantbar at the weekend. One thing I can't get my head around, are both sides identical or do they slant in opposite directions. I.e. is there any difference to how the two sides shave, can you use either side and swap sides while shaving, or is one side more vicious than the other?
The two sides shave the same. The right end of the head is always lower than the left.

Lyrt said:
The two sides shave the same. The right end of the head is always lower than the left.

Ah that's great, thanks. I wondered if there was a 'left' and a 'right' side for the left and right sides of the face respectively. If it's the same both sides then I can carry on switching sides during the shave and rinsing off every other stroke.

I got a WWII French bakelite slant razor, and it does slant in different directions, depending on the side of the razor you address: up left to down right on one side, down left to up right on the other. This is because the blade is not twisted, as it is in the Merkur slant bar: it just lies flat along a slanted plane.

I haven't shaved with it yet because it uses little rectangular studs to hold the razor where other razors have round studs. The rectangular studs don't fit any of the blades I currently have...

Iwan said:

The razor is diagonally symmetrical so the cap can go on either way round. There's no difference in the shave on either side of the razor.

Top Bottom