What's new

*PICS* Simpson Major - Super *PICS*

Major on left - T&H ebony turnback on right...
full

full

full

full

full

While it is big coin for the Simpson Major, it is really something you have to see/feel in person to understand. The threads are hand lathed in the handle/brush and no two fit a like. The brush in packed VERY dense... think a mini-chubby. The fit and finish on this brush simply embarasses the T&H, and the "globe" like bulbous base right under the knot is turned to perfection... really looks gorgeous in person. I once said the T&H turnback was damn near impossible to crush as the case was so thick... well this major is about 2X thicker... honestly - this sucker could REALLY take a pounding - far sturdier than would be needed for any reasonable or practical purpose. Overall - it is an incredibly nice brush - to which I can confidently state, it is the finest quality brush (fit, finish, materials, craftsmanship, sturdiness) I have ever experienced. Really an amazing piece. The T&H ebony turnback.... has just been sold.

Last edited by a moderator:
joel said:
Overall - it is an incredibly nice brush - to which I can confidently state, it is the finest quality brush (fit, finish, materials, craftsmanship, sturdiness) I have ever experienced. Really an amazing piece.

That is until our new B&B brush hits the scene. :biggrin:

Joel,
Thanks for the pictures. I've been considering the major for awhile now and this is making it difficult to resist. Do you happen to know the know size and bristle height?
Thanks,
Jeff

jmhAZ said:
Joel,
Thanks for the pictures. I've been considering the major for awhile now and this is making it difficult to resist. Do you happen to know the know size and bristle height?
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,
It is about a 19/20mm knot - but it is a tremendously dense knot of badger hair and upon its first use, I expect a considerable bloom. The bristle height is about 40mm.

This brush would be outstanding for hard soaps as well as shaving creams.

I will be traveling from Thursday - Monday, so the Major will get a fair amount of use over the next few days, so I'll update the thread and let you know what I think after I have used it a few times.

I keep going back and forth on whether or not I want a travel brush. The Major is sexy as can be, but I don't think I'd be happy with the size. I've grown to like big brushes and I have a plastic peanut butter jar that is a good size for my 24mm brush. However I think I'll probably weaken one day and buy a Major.

Actually, the only thing embarrassing in those pictures is the Major. Having used both of these it’s plain to see the Major is just too small for most men. If you don’t believe me buy them both yourself and give them a whirl. Look at how the turnback towers over the Major. Look at the bristle length of each brush. The turnback is not a big brush. Compare the Major to the Wee Scott in the other pictures. It’s almost as tiny. If you’re a 90 lb weakling that has the face of a chicken the Major is the perfect brush. The fit and finish of these two products is almost equal. The turnback is hand turned as well and the label will last a heck of a lot longer on the T&H. The Simpson label, if not laquered will rub off in a very short time. Some have reported that it has rubbed off with the first shave. As for strength of the casing well, they’ll both take a licking with the nod going to the Simpson. But it’s overkill, in both instances. How many people will drop their brush where a Sherman tank can run over it?

The bristles are very excellent in both as T&H insist Vulfix put the highest grade bristle short of true silvertip in their private label brushes. And Simpson’s, well we all know that Simpson’s quality can be terribly inconsistent especially when it comes to the super end bristles. IF you get the high end super bristles they will be no better than what Vulfix consistently delivers for T&H’s exacting standards. If not, well, I think you get the picture.

As for price well, that Major is approximately $140.00 and the turnback can be had for $105.00 (sometimes $80.00 if it’s on sale. Even in Best badger the Major is about $110.00. This is why Simpsons hardly sells any of these. When consistently better quality can be had at a 33% cheaper price why would most guys go for the Simpson? Name recognition? Don’t get seduced by that. Without question the turnback is the superior product and value. Rest assured it will last a lifetime and will more consistently whip the pants off that Major any day. Just my 2 ¢.

Chris

EL Alamein said:
The bristles are very excellent in both as T&H insist Vulfix put the highest grade bristle short of true silvertip in their private label brushes. And Simpson’s, well we all know that Simpson’s quality can be terribly inconsistent especially when it comes to the super end bristles. IF you get the high end super bristles they will be no better than what Vulfix consistently delivers for T&H’s exacting standards. If not, well, I think you get the picture.

Chris

Chris,
Where are you getting this "inside" information? Vulfix directly told me ALL of their "super" badger brushes are bleached, and the ONLY - I repeat ONLY "silvertip" brushes they make are sold under the vulfix label and are only available from vulfix direct.

As for your other comments.... hey.... some people like Ford, and other Chevy - but you are the first fella I have EVER heard of who has owned both of those turnbacks, and preferred the vulfix. For what it is worth - it is also important to point out - the pictures of the major are PRE bloom, and it is an incredibly dense brush.... so chances are it'll be a heck of a lot bigger once bloomed. If you look at DrP's photo below of the Major next to the vulfix, and other brushes - it sure doesn't look unreasonably small, but hey - again, Ford's and Chevy's - to each their own, if you prefer the vulfix, more power to ya! One thing I ALWAYS smile about.... "simpsons bristle inconsistency." Guys LOVE to go on and on about the bristle "inconsistency" of Simpson being so negative as some high and mighty power dubbed the "two" colored brush superior to the "three" colored brush.... well - the bottom line is, the vast majority of simpson supers... are three colored. It is a natural product, and there will be variances.... but there seems to be from time to time Simpson shaving brushes with the "two" colored bristle color. What I find so odd - is that instead of people viewing this as a GOOD thing IE: Wow - it is too cool that once in awhile someone gets a truly special, original simpson. Instead it is "Why didn't I get one of the 2 colored ones that some random guys say are better?" Would you be happier if there were no more 2 tiered and they were all the 3 banded? I am sure simpson could do this.....
proxy.php

Yes, Joel, people have their preferences and I respect them. I'm just pointing out that the quality and value in this comparison, without question, has to go to the T&H turnback. I see you disagree, and I respect that. I just would like to point out why I think the way I do. For those left with any questions I suggest they try them personally and keep the one they like best.

The turnback is made by Vulfix for T&H. It's not silvertip (at least not true silvertip as in HMW like Plisson makes). It's a Super grade bristle just like the Major. Forget coloring, that’s a gimmick. Bristles are more properly judged by properties like softness and resiliency (e.g. Plisson sells a European gray that has the same properties as their HMW by their own admission, only the color is different). When most people talk about Simpson’s varying quality it has to do with the bristle characteristics. A good chunk of the time you get guys complaining that the bristles don’t feel right for the kind of money they spent. And they’re right. I mean sometimes you get one that’s clearly Best badger not Super, but you’re paying super prices. If you pay Super prices you want that soft resilient bristle not the Best grade which is a little stiffer and not quite as soft. In contrast Vulfix consistently produces Super grade turnbacks for T&H. I mean you, yourself gave the turnback a 10 out of 10 because you were so impressed. And rightfully so, it’s a darn good brush and anyone would be hard pressed to beat it.

Density does count for something but I didn’t experience any difference between the two. Look at Dr. P’s pic, it looks like they’re the same when bloomed with the turnback having longer bristles (which will naturally splay out a tad more). So there you have it. Essentially the turnback has to get the nod because it delivers just about everything the Major does but more consistently and for less money. Some people may disagree and that’s fine by me. I think they’re a little seduced by the name thing but that’s just my humble opinion. To each his own.

All the best,
Chris

EL Alamein said:
Yes, Joel, people have their preferences and I respect them. I'm just pointing out that the quality and value in this comparison, without question, has to go to the T&H turnback. I see you disagree, and I respect that. I just would like to point out why I think the way I do. For those left with any questions I suggest they try them personally and keep the one they like best.

The turnback is made by Vulfix for T&H. It's not silvertip (at least not true silvertip as in HMW like Plisson makes). It's a Super grade bristle just like the Major. Forget coloring, that’s a gimmick. Bristles are more properly judged by properties like softness and resiliency (e.g. Plisson sells a European gray that has the same properties as their HMW by their own admission, only the color is different). When most people talk about Simpson’s varying quality it has to do with the bristle characteristics. A good chunk of the time you get guys complaining that the bristles don’t feel right for the kind of money they spent. And they’re right. I mean sometimes you get one that’s clearly Best badger not Super, but you’re paying super prices. If you pay Super prices you want that soft resilient bristle not the Best grade which is a little stiffer and not quite as soft. In contrast Vulfix consistently produces Super grade turnbacks for T&H. I mean you, yourself gave the turnback a 10 out of 10 because you were so impressed. And rightfully so, it’s a darn good brush and anyone would be hard pressed to beat it.

Density does count for something but I didn’t experience any difference between the two. Look at Dr. P’s pic, it looks like they’re the same when bloomed with the turnback having longer bristles (which will naturally splay out a tad more). So there you have it. Essentially the turnback has to get the nod because it delivers just about everything the Major does but more consistently and for less money. Some people may disagree and that’s fine by me. I think they’re a little seduced by the name thing but that’s just my humble opinion. To each his own.

All the best,
Chris

Chris,
Just to clear the air - I think we agree... well somewhat. I gave the T&H turnback a 10 out of 10, months ago.... and if I reviewed it today... I would STILL give it a 10 out of 10! It is a SUPERB shaving brush... period - end of story, and truth be told, a travel brush should ideally be as cheap as possible as the tendency to lose/damage the brush is much greater, and most fellas don't travel all that much (myself included) - and so the extra money spent is not effectively spent. WITHOUT question the T&H is a better deal, and offers WAY more value, and WAY more bang for the buck.... period. If I were to review the Major (which I will in time - as I have planned on reviewing ALL of my brushes and submitting ALL of the reviews into the review system) I would NOT give the Major a 10.... yes - I said it, I would rate the T&H higher, as the major would get beat up in value, luxury and other qualities.

Where we disagree however is quality. Personally - just holding the two and working the "turnback" and examining the weight, tooling marks, etc - again PERSONALLY the brush feels a heck of a lot nicer, and it is built like a tank. The craftsmanship on this thing is finer than any other brush I have personally experienced, and the brilliant luster to which this thing is hand polished is truly amazing. For ME the absurd quality of this brush, and the happiness I get owning, enjoying and examining/looking at this work of art to ME - makes it my preferred choice. Is it "better" than the T&H? By all means... no. Will the label come off (well... probably not on the turnback because that part won't touch water) if you don't apply nail polish to it (which takes only a few seconds)? Yes... yes it will, but the brush is beefier, shinier, the threads are much finer, more precise, etc, and the overall look, fit, finish, etc - is markedly superior to my eye than the T&H. If I were to recommend a travel brush to a normal person (READ - someone who is not chemically imbalanced with the constant urge to get more more more shaving brushes) I would recommend the T&H hands down.

Just an update.... I have been using this brush since Thursday, and I must say, I am highly impressed. REALLY a superlative brush, provides a tremendously luxurious shave, and once the head bloomed, is of adequate size to be luxurious, and provide enough lather for 5+ shaves. Really a world class travel brush, that almost makes you look forward to a hotel room shave. Personally - I think this brush performs much, much better than the T&H turnback, however due to its much greater price - it isn't exactly a bargain buy. Overall? Exceptional brush - and a must have if you demand the VERY best travel brush in the land. So far as I am concerned... worth every extra penny.

As for me.... make mine a Simpson :biggrin:

Joel,
Ditto the above question (using the case as a handle or brush alone)? BUT also...
Also- Size-wise, how does this compare to, say a Chubby or Chubby2, for traveling purposes? What makes the Major a "travel brush"? Size alone? Is it the fact that it comes with a travel tube that it screws into? Emsplace sizes the knot at 19mm- How does it compare, in your estimation, to other brushes with comparable knot sizes? The Weescot is only 2mm smaller! How much "better" is the Major than the WeeScot?

Thanks!

The Wee Scott is 4 mm smaller (19mm vs. 14mm). When I first started shaving I used a Col. Conk pure badger brush that was maybe 19mm and extremely loose. I still got good shaves with it, so I'm thinking a dense 19mm brush might work out well. I know I could put a bigger brush in that clear peanut butter jar, but there's just something wrong about doing that.

Tony, thank you... I just saw that you're right... For some reason I thought the Scot was 17, not 14mm. As for size, I always thought I'd prefer a smaller brush, in the 19-24mm knot range, but since using the Chub2, I have a hard time appreciating my Vulfix and Kents, 22mm & 24mm each.

If I go get the Major today, I'm hoping the bristles will be more "Simpson" like, in that they'll be stiffer. What I'm hoping for a travel-size Chubby... (I'm hoping Joel's directive, "Think mini-Chubby," is accurate.)

Gents,
The Major is actually closer to a 20mm knot, and the Wee Scot is closer to a 13mm knot, but assuming it is 14mm, there is still a 6mm knot.... once bloomed, the Major is considerably larger than the wee scot, and holds a HELL of a lot more water/lather.

As far as the lathering with the brush head attached to the major case - that is all personal preference. I have tried using it both ways - and it works superb either way, and the handle (without the case attached) is much more comfortable, and the threads not as large/in the way as the T&H turnback - so the major is a heck of a lot easier to use without attaching the case.

As far as comparing this brush to a chubby 1/2 - the chubby 2 is going to be a fair amount larger, and the chubby 1 is going to have greater loft, and I believe the knot is larger as well, but with that said - I think its actual performance is as good as my chubby 2 super, and it feels quite a bit similar... truth be told if I could have "one or the other" I would use the major over my chubby 2 super as a daily use shaving brush - as the chubby handle is really awful/uncomfortable, and me major is quite nice (handle wise) and generates more than enough lather for any reasonable number of passes. It is also much easier to use, easier to get the right water/cream ratio, and easier to get the lather from the "bucket" of the brush onto your face than the chubby 2.

What makes the Major a travel brush is the face that it is designed to A.) Not be used with a shave stand, and as a result the knot is more aggressively secured to the handle B.) The brush is smaller than a full size simpson, yet offers similar performance to its big brothers C.) Is convieniently stored in an integral case which protects the bristle when jostled/beat around D.) has the bottom of the case "open" so as to allow a damp brush to dry, and not get nasty/moldy whilst traveling.

Do you "need" a turnback for traveling - or a "travel" brush in general? Heavens no - as you can always find a creative way to use a full size brush for travel - but the turnbacks are a hell of a lot slicker, classier, work quite well, and are built to REALLY take a lickin'.

Joel, sorry, point of clarification- When you say that the turnback Major is "designed to NOT be used with a shave stand," do you mean that after shaving you SHOULD, a) leave the brush standing, with bristles up? or b) screw it in with bristles down, with the opening on the counter (so the case acts as a brush stand that surrounds the bristles)?

McNutt said:
Joel, you've sold me on the Major, and for that I hate you. :tongue_sm

Just as a heads up before you potentially drop some coin on one - Lee from Lee's razors mentioned that on most larger brushes, he can't tell a difference (strictly performance wise) on super VS best badger simpsons brushes - IE a chubby 2 in best VS a chubby 2 in super (just again talking performance - not feel), however he feels in smaller brushes the "super" hair holds a heck of a lot more water, and as a result is quite necessary, and makes life a lot easier when using the smaller brushes - and as a result highly recommends getting the Major in super badger hair. I haven't used a major in best -but I can say this little super holds just the perfect amount of water, and really seems to work like a charm. BTW - your credit card company just sent me a thank you card :tongue:

NYLaw said:
Joel, sorry, point of clarification- When you say that the turnback Major is "designed to NOT be used with a shave stand," do you mean that after shaving you SHOULD, a) leave the brush standing, with bristles up? or b) screw it in with bristles down, with the opening on the counter (so the case acts as a brush stand that surrounds the bristles)?

You most certainly "could" use it with a shaving stand and dry it bristle down, and it would in no way be a "bad" thing - however the brush was designed basically to dry at any angle, so it doesn't matter if you stick it in the tube and have it on its side, vertical, jostling around in every direction in your luggage, hanging from a rigged up coat hanger brush stand, etc etc. While most simpsons "claim" to not need a brush stand - the major being in the protective case constricts the amount of open air flow/exposure, and as a result will have the bristle damp longer than a standard shaving brush - so as a result it is more aggressively secured to the handle - but dry it any way which is most convienient. Personally since I have been in the same location for 4 days, I dry the brush and the case seperated (so the water in the threads or in/on the protective case can dry quickest) and the brush standing on its handle - bristle pointing upward.

Honestly though - it doesn't matter how to dry it, so long as it can breathe.

Top Bottom