What's new

Pics or it didn't happen....

I mentioned this SP101 sometime ago. It has been a test of my existing skills & an opportunity to learn some new ones. This is a parts gun made from a seperate frame & cylinder, trigger group, hammer & conversion cylinder with crane. Being a modern pistol, most parts were plug-n play, but not all.

The work I did:
*Hammer bob & polish
*Open the trigger face up to about 3/4" radius & polish
*Lower firing pin cup flush with frame
*Fit Bowen extra length firing pin
*Hammer & trigger cuts squared
*Hammer & trigger shims added
*Cranes & cylinders individually fit for endshake using bearings
*Trigger guard modified with forward set- screw for quick change 9mm to .38/.357 swap

The work I did not do:
*Conversion cylinder chambered for all nominal .355-.357 rounds
*Milled for full moon clips both by Pinnacle High Performance
*J-frame rear sight groove milled & fit
*Matched with higher Tru-glo TFO front fiber optic/tritium both done by Briley Mfg.

The result:
IMG_20221014_192819178_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
WOW! Super sweet. So how much do you have in it, if I may be so bold to ask?

And how does it shoot? Range report!

WOW! Super sweet. So how much do you have in it, if I may be so bold to ask?

And how does it shoot? Range report!
Heh, heh. Yeah. I did save on the gun parts, about $300, as I recall. The cylinder work was around $250, and the sights were $250-ish. Overall, the pieces & parts weren't bad, but this has been 7 years in finishing. I had most of my cutting, filing & fitting done after about 6 months of weekends. I had to wait 6 months & 8 months respectively for the cylinder work & sights. Briley was the only shop I could find that would do the sight for under $600, which I thought a bit excessive for what's involved.

Labor, dear Lord, if someone else had done it I probably could have purchased 3 Les Baers!

I hope the sights are more "on" than they were. I had to do about a 2" high hold, shooting 115grain 9mm. It groups nicely & the trigger is nice, but the front sight had to bob in limbo over the rear notch. It will be a bit before I get back out to shoot again, unfortunately.

Ruger places the sights based on heavier loads, which hit a bit higher. Or so I have been told. Members of the various Ruger sites seem to believe all innovation and propriety originate at the Ruger factory, unless you're iowegan (in no way disparaging him, I would love to have his experience & insights!).

I can actually shoot .32 ACP, which is a hoot! It's a lot like CBs out of a heavy barrel MkII, but with an 18" drop.

Top Bottom