What's new

*Pics* Loading a Merkur Progress *Pics*

IMG_0290.jpg

How to load a DE blade in a Merkur Progress...

IMG_0252.jpg

Step One - Grab plastic adjustment knob at the bottom of the handle and twist counter clockwise.

IMG_0253.jpg

After Approx. 6 good twists the top apparatus will be in its full open position and will be "loose."

IMG_0254.jpg

Step Two - Pull the top apparatus off of the main housing/handle.

Picture of seperated razor...
IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

Step Three - Carefully insert a double edge blade into the top portion of the razor. (the blade is NOT properly lined up on purpose to illustrate the blade - refer to the next picture to see how it "should" look.)

IMG_0268.jpg

Step Four - Place lower main housing/handle onto the top housing (lined up)

IMG_0269.jpg

Step Five - Twist adjustment knob clockwise to "lock up" the threads and tighten/secure the two portions of the razor to one another. Tighten all the way (as far as you can turn clockwise) then select your desired numerical "aggression" setting.

There you have it - you are ready to get ashavin'

Nice snaps Joel! I think it is worthy of special note that in your shot, below, Merkur advises to align the | and ^ on the same side when putting the razor back together.
IMG_0268.jpg

guenron said:
Nice snaps Joel! I think it is worthy of special note that in your shot, below, Merkur advises to align the | and ^ on the same side when putting the razor back together.

Good point. This ensures that the numbers refer to the same aggressiveness every time.

BTW Joel, would it have been so hard to clean out the inside of the razor while you had it open? It is lookin' a bit crusty in there. :wink:

Scotto said:
Good point. This ensures that the numbers refer to the same aggressiveness every time.

BTW Joel, would it have been so hard to clean out the inside of the razor while you had it open? It is lookin' a bit crusty in there. :wink:

Scotto,
It is just going to get used in the next couple 'O days anyways! :001_tt2:

Step Five - Twist adjustment knob clockwise to "lock up" the threads and tighten/secure the two portions of the razor to one another. Tighten all the way (as far as you can turn clockwise) then select your desired numerical "aggression" setting.

The above statement was posted.

After you tighten all the way, do you turn the yellow part of the progress handle? If so, what are you aligning the number with on the handle?

After you shave, how do you clean your razor or blade?

Merkur advises to align the | and ^ on the same side when putting the razor back together. WHAT DOES THIS STATEMENT MEAN??

poncho said:
Merkur advises to align the | and ^ on the same side when putting the razor back together. WHAT DOES THIS STATEMENT MEAN??

Do you have a Progress? It's easier to explain if you have a Progress to look at.

Merkur advises to align the | and ^ on the same side when putting the razor back together.

Does the razor only have the ^ on one side and that is the side you align with the little circle on the razor?:confused:

Poncho,

The | is on the side of top piece that you remove. When that is on the same side as the ^ on the bottom piece, then you get the same numbers every time. Otherwise one day "2" might be your lowest number,and other day it might be "5", or something like that.

Make sense?

BTW, welcome!

Cool.

I've never experienced a DE shaver. Would you suggest trying it? I use those same double-edged blades (half of them, anyway) in my shavette.

Jameson said:
Cool.

I've never experienced a DE shaver. Would you suggest trying it? I use those same double-edged blades (half of them, anyway) in my shavette.
The Progress is a great razor. Highly recommended. Why not give it a try? :wink:

When I line up the marks on my Progress and screw it down tight, the number scale goes to "1/2". I assume that this mark would therefore be my "virtual" Zero, and that I should adjust up from there (i.e., 2-1/2 would actually be 2).

Right?

vontech said:
When I line up the marks on my Progress and screw it down tight, the number scale goes to "1/2". I assume that this mark would therefore be my "virtual" Zero, and that I should adjust up from there (i.e., 2-1/2 would actually be 2).

Right?

Exactly.

Scotto said:
Poncho,

The | is on the side of top piece that you remove. When that is on the same side as the ^ on the bottom piece, then you get the same numbers every time.

Okay. This is weird. I just received my new Progress, after doing some reading here (thanks all, great info). On my Progress, the top piece that you remove actually has the | notch at both ends.

The small picture instruction inside the case is refers to the | notch on the top piece and the ^ on the bottom part of the head, but seems to suggest that the numbers on the bottom are important - it shows a '0' on the top and the '5' on the side in red. The '5' is what aligns with the ^ and | on the head (the '0' is on top, the '5' is on the side). It seems like they are trying to say that you must line up the ^ and the '5'. But it doesn't make sense to me since it seems to depend on what side the top part is placed in since it tightens at either 1 or 4 - seems to me like it should only have one notch.

I wonder if they've changed it. Does anyone else have this on their Progress, or did I get a defect?

Top Bottom