What's new

*Pics* Loading a Merkur Futur *Pics*

IMG_0289.jpg

The Merkur Futur is kind of an odd bird.... loads like no other safety razor I have seen - and more importantly has an inherently unsafe design. Please take extreme care when loading/unloading this razor, as without extreme care, and dry hands, there is a chance you can/will cut yourself.... bad. I have a little scar from it, and I know of a few others who do as well. Enough disclaimer!

IMG_0270.jpg

Notice on the right side (you can switch it) there is an indentation in the top portion? Now as confusing as it may be, look at the picture below (it is now on the left side, as I had to turn the razor to operate the "top" whilst taking the picture) and you will see how/why this is significant.

IMG_0271.jpg

Step One - Push the top cover up/off by placing your finger on the open groove. The top is held by a "spring" so the opening action will be very abrupt, and is very quick. It will kind of "pop" off, so do it carefully, and slowly, as if it is done with haste, the whole top can pop off, blade and all!

IMG_0274.jpg

Step Two - Fully remove the top of the razor. Notice the cheap looking "spring" assembly holding the top? It is basically 4 little wires. As you can tell - I am not such a fan of this razor :tongue:

IMG_0275.jpg

Step Three - Drop a blade into the top portion of the razor in the proper groove.

IMG_0276.jpg

Step Four - Take the bottom main housing/handle and affix it to the top portion by lining up the two "prongs" and pushing downward on a flat, secure surface. You will hear/feel a solid "click."

IMG_0277.jpg

Top portion is locked in and ready to go. There is no need to re-adjust the razor to the proper setting, as it will be on the setting it was left at.

Special note - be careful not to drop this razor. If dropped, due to its design, it is prone to open up the top portion of the razor, and send the incredibly sharp de blade flying outward.

Now go get rid of the 5 o'clock shadow wolf man! :shaving:

Strikes me as an incredibly bad/dangerous mechanism for getting the top off. Kind of surprising given German engineering - go figure.

i've got a futur and its really easy to change a blade. personally i change it in a different, and for me easier manner.

just a question tho. i'm new to this, and never used the super platinum but is it not upside down??

i thought the writing was meant to be on the top, is this where i've been going wrong??

or is there writing on both sides of a super platinum

or doesn't it matter which way you put it in??

ps. newby here - go easy on me.....

I hold the Futur upside down a few inches over a wash cloth or even the palm of my hand when popping off the head. This acts as a catcher and eliminates any dangers. For me changing the blade on a '30's Tech is a more dangerous affair. You have to hold onto the head of the razor while you turn the handle to get the top on or off.

Joel - good description and photos. I can't see anyone cutting themselves if they follow that plan. I agree it is not the greatest engineering for blade changing but (for me) it doesn't change the fact that this is a very good shaver.

I agree with Jerry. Doing it head up, as shown, and if you aren't careful the top will pop off and fall on the floor. Along with the blade. Do the same thing, but upside down, with the head resting flat on the palm of your hand, and there are no issues.

Personally, I think this is no more dangerous than a three piece. Just be sensible about it.

The pictures are very helpful. Definitely use your thumb to push the lid off, as Joel shows. Trying to get it off some other way is asking for trouble....

-Mo

Joel, just wanted to say thanks for the pics. I am looking to buy a Futur and the pics help me out to see what everyone is talking about.

It looks odd to say the least. It's a pretty awkward design. I'd say if the head is kept close to a counter to limit it's motion, it could be a safer process.

My guess is to rest the head on the side of the counter, and use a motion similar to opening a coke bottle on one of those wall mount bottle openers.

For me changing the blade on a '30's Tech is a more dangerous affair. You have to hold onto the head of the razor while you turn the handle to get the top on or off.

Wrap a wash cloth over the head when removing it. That'll shield the blade from your hand adequately enough, unless you are really vigorous with it.

I've changed blades a few times now and I've had no problems.

I pop the cap off with my thumb (while holding other side with index/middle fingers), put a blade into the razor, and pop the cap back on. Did it while it was wet too.

Wrap a wash cloth over the head when removing it. That'll shield the blade from your hand adequately enough, unless you are really vigorous with it.
+1. Actually, I use the towel that I have there for the hot towel treatment, which is even more substantial and larger than a washrag.:thumbup1:

Just a question, if you put the thing back together by placing the head on a surface, and pressing the rest down on it, will you not scratch the head? Why did they not do a butterfly mechanism like on the Vision?

Just a question, if you put the thing back together by placing the head on a surface, and pressing the rest down on it, will you not scratch the head? Why did they not do a butterfly mechanism like on the Vision?
If it had a butterfly head like the Vision, it would essentially BE a Vision.:wink:

If it had a butterfly head like the Vision, it would essentially BE a Vision.:wink:

Additionally, the razor's head would be noticibly higher making it more difficult to get into those places under the nose, etc..

I had changed the Futur many many times before I got my first cut. I don't even know how I did it. But I know there was a lot of blood.

Still, it's my favorite razor. Sort of how VW people love their VW's in spite of all the parts falling off. (Yes, I owned a Jetta.)

Additionally, the razor's head would be noticibly higher making it more difficult to get into those places under the nose, etc..

Well, maybe, I dunno. My Vision, Futur, Slant, 12C, 41C, all seem to fit in there OK for me. Now, if you need to see where the blade is instead of just knowing where the blade is, I'll grant you there's some differences...:biggrin1:

Top Bottom