What's new

*PICS* Feather Artist Club VS Stainless Dovo Shavette

Gents,
Here are some pics of the two side by side, some of the pics show the difference in blade size (which really isn't that substantial) as well as thickness, scales, etc.... should give you a good idea of the size difference between the two. I won't do a written comparison yet - as i'd like to give them eacha fair shot - do a review on each of them seperatly, then come back here, and do a final "overall" review of the two razors head to head. We are told we cannot compare the two - as they are night and day, but personally I think we sure can. My initial impressions, and dinking around prove they are both effective tools, and although the feather is heavier and uses a different blade, the shavette provides a wonderful shave. (I previously used the plastic handled shavette, and did not like it... I figure, I had used the feather and shavette back when I was exclusively using straights, so I hadn't yet mastered the ultra-light touch necessary for DE's, so hopefuly this shavette & feather experience will be much better) BTW, on the individual reviews, I will post pictures of the packaging/info that comes with both, and pics of the blade changing/loading process.

Without further ado - pics

P1010069.JPG

P1010073.JPG

P1010074.JPG

P1010075.JPG

P1010076.JPG

P1010077.JPG

P1010079.JPG

P1010081.JPG

P1010082.JPG

P1010083.JPG

P1010084.JPG

P1010085.JPG

P1010086.JPG

i am ingrigued by the shavette, because of the adapters that can be used and the various blades that it will accept. if my better half isn't paying attention i'll have to add one to the fray!

Just a little update - I've used both of these for quite some time now, and am quite a fan of the Dovo Shavette (stainless) for use when traveling. In my opinion it works MUCH better than a merkur travel DE, it is quick and easy to use, blades are readily available, and it is nice and small - which is handy for travel. This is kinda my "go to" razor for travel. :smile:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm getting a bit tired of saying this, but that's another great post.

I always thought the Feather was somehow "cheating", compared to straights, but the recent rash of Feather Artist posts has piqued my interest.

And we all know what that means........$$$$$$$$$$:001_rolle

ouch said:

I always thought the Feather was somehow "cheating", compared to straights, but the recent rash of Feather Artist posts has piqued my interest.

If you wait a little while, you MIGHT be able to pick a gently used one up from a member.

ouch said:

I have mixed feelings on the Artist Club. The razor itself is superb - however the blades are inconsistent. I can go through a pack of blade - they'll all be superb, then out of nowhere I get one that just mulches my face. The Dovo Shavette is really a fearsome force when used with a feather DE (half) blade. At least for me - it is outstanding - albeit takes longer to shave with than a feather straight.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
AACJ said:
If you wait a little while, you MIGHT be able to pick a gently used one up from a member.

Hey, you leave Scotto alone! :mad:
At the very least, wait until he stops bleeding.

S

Sam

I did not have good experiences with any of the shavettes that accepted DE blades, though none looked as substantial as the Dovo Shavette. I did enjoy the Feather Straight and it shaved me the best of any straight I used

Sam

Sam said:
I did not have good experiences with any of the shavettes that accepted DE blades, though none looked as substantial as the Dovo Shavette. I did enjoy the Feather Straight and it shaved me the best of any straight I used

Sam

Having not used the Dovo shavette - I think it would be unwise to lump them all in the same category. The "shavette" is only made by dovo, and as a result the razors you are qualifying as "shavettes" are actually not so. As you stated - they are not as substantial.

S

Sam

Joel, I quite agree. The Dovo looks much heavier than any other "shavette" I have used. I do not know how much it costs or how it compares heads-up against the Feather. Id be interested in your take, however

Sam

Sam said:
Joel, I quite agree. The Dovo looks much heavier than any other "shavette" I have used. I do not know how much it costs or how it compares heads-up against the Feather. Id be interested in your take, however

Sam

Personally - I am quite fond of the Dovo Stainless Shavette - and loaded with a feather DE blade, it will outshave a vision loaded with a feather DE blade, as the ability to adust the angle for each part of your face is unrivialed by any DE razor. I would use it a lot more - however with just one small blade - it takes quite some time to shave your entire face multiple passes - and for the past year or so I have been pretty rushed in the morning. The light weight, and the shavette as a whole take a little time to get used to - however once you get the hang out it, it will provide a really superb shave. I have not tried the other blades available for the shavette - and I would suspect the longer blades would work better - and in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you could stuff a feather straight razor blade into one of the longer holders - but again, I haven't used them, so I don't know.

Given the very low cost of the Dovo Shavette Stainless, and the dirt cheap price and availability of quality DE blades - PERSONALLY if I had to choose one, I would pick the Shavette over the feather - simply because I have had such mixed experiences with the Artist Club - and when I pick up the Artist Club after not having used it for a few weeks - I get "ok" results, as it seems to have a learning curve you have to really get in the groove of. The Dovo... once you get the hang of it, you can pick it up anytime and get tremendously close, irritation free shaves. Also - since it uses 1/2 a DE blade, if you buy a pack of 100 isralie DE blades, and pitch each one after only one use - you have a WICKED sharp blade each morning, at a terribly low cost.

roughrider said:
joel, did you get your Shavette from classicshaving?

No - unfortunatly I cannot purchase from CS. I picked it up from a forum member some time ago. :smile:

S

Sam

I got my feather straight with a box of professional blades, two boxes of supers and a box with the guards. Razor looks new

Sam

I am absolutely new to straight razors. I want to keep both cost and maintenance way down. I have read about the dovo shavette. It sounds interesting to me. I have been advised it's a good razor for a beginner. Is this Correct? What color head should I purchase with it? Red, Black, Green? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, William.

I am absolutely new to straight razors. I want to keep both cost and maintenance way down. I have read about the dovo shavette. It sounds interesting to me. I have been advised it's a good razor for a beginner. Is this Correct? What color head should I purchase with it? Red, Black, Green? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, William.

I used the red blade holder and it worked quite well. Mine also came with the black holder, but I never tried it. I didn't really ever see the need, plus with the red holder you could use any of your favourite DE blades. Also, the blade is shorter in the red handle so you can focus on your straight shaving while worrying about less blade while starting out.

the shavette is surprisingly light weight, but you get excellent feedback from it. I've used so far with dovo and lord blades, both provided excellent shaves. Going to work my way up to feathers with this badboy when i can get the hang of it, still a lil shaky and jittery with it, so i'm trying to stick to the forgiving blades.

Does the less expensive Shavette take the Featherblades Proguard/Professional (like those in the first post) with any holder/adapter?
Are there any other cheap knifes who take these Featerblades?

Top Bottom