What's new

*PICS* Feather Artist Club VS Stainless Dovo Shavette

Does the less expensive Shavette take the Featherblades Proguard/Professional (like those in the first post) with any holder/adapter?
Are there any other cheap knifes who take these Featerblades?
The Shavette takes DE blades that have been broken in half creating two blades or it takes longer Dovo Shavette specific blades (longer than a regular DE blade) using an adapter that can be purchased separately.

I'm not aware of any other blade holders that accept the Feather blades other than the Feathers themselves but I could be mistaken.

I used the red blade holder and it worked quite well. Mine also came with the black holder, but I never tried it. I didn't really ever see the need, plus with the red holder you could use any of your favourite DE blades. Also, the blade is shorter in the red handle so you can focus on your straight shaving while worrying about less blade while starting out.

Adonnellyr, your "Shave Den" graveyard by itself has enough in it to start a small shop! :lol: Very impressive collection!

I've watched Mantic59 getting executive shave in Mirage, Las Vegas, from a pro that uses Dovo Shavette, with red sleeve, thus with half of DE blade. I've never used it myself, and I'm very much thinking of it. But if that pro barber from Mirage uses this as his primary tool (have in mind that executive shave in Mirage goes around 120 dollars), than it must have potential! :thumbup1:

Having a Dovo Shavette, a Feather RG (folding) and a Feather DX (Japanese style), I can honestly say that the Feathers, in my opinion, are far superior. With respect to the Feather blades, I have tried the Pro Guards, Super pros and the Light blades (green package). I have had some very nasty cuts from the Super Pro, but the Light blade seems perfect for my everyday needs. Two passes + touch up=BBS. On the Dovo, I use the green sleeve, and the Personna blades. Found them to be kind of rough, like the Super Pro Feathers, but now that my technique is better, I may give the Dovo another shot.

After having used the Dovo Shavette for some while now, I can honestly say that I'm impressed with the easiness of use of that thing. Coupled with half of feather blade it is very effective piece of equipment. However, I would have to mention couple of it's downsides, for what it's worth:

Firstly, as a consequence of a plastic sleeve, it is impossible to make a flat contact with the skin when going ATG, without applying pressure that clearly exceeds what is universally considered to be enough. So you need to either increase pressure, which in case of blade digged in could lead to some injuries, or increase angle, which would inevitably make the ATG passes somewhat uncomfortable.

Secondly, it is too small for bigger hands. Looking at the feather, this might be a better deal with Japanese razor.

One more word of precaution. With razor, I also bought black sleeve and a box of dovo shavette long blades. These are by far the worst blades I've tried so far. No need to go beyond feather, although with ordinary DE blade it will take longer to make all the necessary passes.

I'm thinking of switching from DE to straight. I don't want to do all the honing, because it requires a serious investment. I've read a bit about the feather's and the inconsistency of the blades keeps popping up... Personally, I like the styling of the Dovo and the fact it can hold longer blades than a DE. Although I wonder wether or not there are other blades available, so I have the possibility to choose, just like with my safety razor...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Joels original post is several years old...the feather and Kai blades are very consistent, and it would be a shame for you to shun a feather because of it and go to a shavette IMO.:smile:

I've been shaving with a feather AC for almost a year now and have not once experienced a bad blade, recently I bought some Kai's and they are also very good. If you ask me don't wast your time and money on the shavette go for the Feather or Kai Captain which are quality implements that will last a lifetime.

I just don't think I'm ready for a feather-sharp edge... I'm still a newbie and eventually I want to go completely straight, honing, stropping, the whole nine yards! ;)

Put the light saber sharpness out of your mind. Seraphim only loped off one of his FILs ears with a feater a few months ago when he was giving him a shave :lol: seriously any blade can cut you and you will get a few so dive on it and try it out you won't regret it.

I used Feather AC RG/DX for almost 2 years and then sold them only using my Thiers Issards.
But I miss my Feathers so much so this week a brand new RG/Pro Supers is coming to me:001_smile
I guess I´m gonna use TI/Feather 50/50. Some of the best of two worlds:wink2:

I had last week my first blade (super professional) that was a bit less, I could only get about half the shaves out of that one. Otherwise no problems. You could always go for the New Feather SS that's far more forgiving then the older RG/DX models (although I prefer them to the new one).

Does the less expensive Shavette take the Featherblades Proguard/Professional (like those in the first post) with any holder/adapter?
Are there any other cheap knifes who take these Featerblades?

The Dovo Shavette also has a Green adapter for it. This adapter accepts the 'Fromm' or 'Personna' Hair Shaper Blades. These blades are longer and have a metal spine. They are for the Fromm or Personna Hair Shaper folding hair cutting razor.

I'm getting a serious AD with all this feather AC talking.... any advice??? (I already look around the web and the WCS is the cheapest place around)
For what I've been reading about the feathers are superior to the dovo shavette (that plastic holder-thing just don't appeal to me)... but as usual I need the advice of the experts in this forum.
cheers!

I'm getting a serious AD with all this feather AC talking.... any advice??? (I already look around the web and the WCS is the cheapest place around)
For what I've been reading about the feathers are superior to the dovo shavette (that plastic holder-thing just don't appeal to me)... but as usual I need the advice of the experts in this forum.
cheers!

Most will agree that the Feather AC is a superior razor to the Dovo Shavette (some will not agree). From the looks of your previous posts, you've gotten some great advice. The Feather AC has a nice weight and balance (although I feel it to be a bit blade-heavy, but not a problem in the least). As far as the Feather or Kai blades, and their prospective model numbers and such, you, yourself will have to make that call. Why? Because all blades shave everyone's face a bit differently. My face may hate the Feather SS, or the Kai Mild, while your face may take a great liking to them. You have to shave with the different blades yourself in order to find the right blade for your face. As far as the Feather AC folding razor, or any of the Feather folding razors... they are very well made, and nice razors for the use.

I also use a Feather AC-SS and find it an amazing shaver, and also use the Light Feather blades, I also cannot fault the Feather blades.

Jamie

proxy.php

picked up the shavette and i really like it,just trying to learn good practice before i move on to my real straights.but i cant complain about it.btw to be honest i cant tell the difference between many razors in general shark,7oclock,merkur,astra,etc all sharp as hell to me.

Top Bottom