What's new

Pickwick Pharmacy...It ain't Pasture's

It may be that since I started DE shaving that I'm spoiled. When I found B&B early on, I found out about Pasture's. It is a Mecca for finding all types of products in a fairly small store. Those of you who have been there know it's lots of shelves and narrow isles, but it has everything. I'm there about once a month.
So I was just in Pickwick about 20 minutes ago (stopped for a cheesestake before going to Suburban Station for my train)
It was disappointing...
A few shelves with some Proraso($8 for soap or cream) Cella ($10), TOBS which was higher priced then Pasture's...some Omega brushes, a few straights,...One razor, a Merkur that I didn't look at the price. A cheap one behind the counter, and that's it.
They do have a Shaving Factory ceramic mugs & brush kit with a stick of Arko for $17.
Plenty of Pinaud in small & large bottles ($9.99 for Lime Sec)

Blades on the shelf, some shavettes blades,
DE blades,
Derby Extra ($1.49 for 10),
Dorco ST-300 ($1.29 for 10),
Lion by Derby ($1.29 for 5)
Feather ($3.00 for 5 or $6 for 10)

Then the one I laughed at
Derby Premium ($2.49 for 5)
Someone must think the word Premium add a buck to the price, it's still Derby.
Has Astra SS, Shark & Derby behind the counter, but didn't ask about them. No Gillette blades at all.
They do have some Arko cream ($1.99) & Stick ($1.49). Even had Williams Mug ($1.59)
I'm sure it's a good pharmacy for other items, but didn't walk around to find out. Felt bad for them so got a puck of Williams and even though I said I'd never buy it, a stick of Arko.
For someone who might be in Philly that's traveling & needs something, it's a good place. Otherwise , bring your stuff with you.
Hoping that the guys in Philly have better options.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Nice review...but why on earth would anyone want to go to New Jersey Philadelphia? :001_cool:

proxy.php

But that isn't a real Philly Cheese Steak! - It's actually better, for some ungodly reason, a real Philly Cheese Steak uses cheese sauce and not real cheese....it's basically Cheese-Wiz (yuk) that they use. It's the less authentic shops around the suburbs and here in southern NJ that use Provolone, American, or some other sort of REAL cheese. (Yum!)

But that isn't a real Philly Cheese Steak! - It's actually better, for some ungodly reason, a real Philly Cheese Steak uses cheese sauce and not real cheese....it's basically Cheese-Wiz (yuk) that they use. It's the less authentic shops around the suburbs and here in southern NJ that use Provolone, American, or some other sort of REAL cheese. (Yum!)
It was off a truck, and I hate Cheese Wiz...been to Philly too many times and know to stay away from it.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I certainly miss the days when I worked within a 10 minute walk to Pasteur's. I whiled away many a lunch break there.

Now I live in South Jersey, about 15 minutes from Philly. Happy to have anything remotely decent like Pickwick. Nothing like Pasteur's, but certainly better than nothing. Was there a few days ago and came across something I've never seen before: a travel can of Proraso foam. Not cheap at $3.99, but about what I'd expect, so I picked up a can.

Pickwick is good enough for me to make the occasional visit and maybe make a purchase to encourage them.

Top Bottom