What's new

Picks for a second addition to my razor collection

Hi, long-time lurker, first-time poster. I've been using an Edwin Jagger DE89 from January to now, with Derby Premium blades, that I find works fine, but I'm curious about other options and trying more things. So far, I'm considering, for my second razor:
  1. Getting an adjustable razor. I like the idea of being able to make the razor more mild for "quicker" shaves, so I don't have to use my cartridge razor for them, and I think it might give me an idea of how much aggressiveness I'd like in a razor. The most recommended options seem to be the Rockwell 6C or Yaqi The Final Cut. I'm aware that there are vintage razors out there, particularly the Gillette Fatboy and its variants, that are also good, but I'm not as sure about their availability, and anyone that labels their listing as such seems to overprice them.
  2. Getting a slant razor. It seems like it'll be something of a different style of shaving. I've mainly been thinking about getting the PAA Monster Open Comb Double Slant, most likely the La Creatura for that cool, glittery green color. The Merkur 37C seems interesting, too, though.

Good luck. Regardless of what people might post to this thread, you're on your own. But, because that's what we do, make recommendations on what we like, I suggest you spend a lot more time learning about all the hundreds, if not thousands, of options available to you and then buy a serviced Gillette Slim. Back Roads Gold would be a great seller for a serviced, replated, as new model. DapperStudioCC on Etsy as an honest seller who underrates his stock. I just bought a very nice Slim from him a few weeks ago to compliment my 195 AKA "Fatboy". I wouldn't go near any of the popular modern razors that so many newer shavers seem to adore but I'm old. And cranky.

Look at the two adjustables here:

I was just going to link this. That 195 tempts me even though I've got a great clean 100%er in the rotation already. And the Slim for $35? Fuhgeddiboudit. That would be a buy for me if I didn't have one already.

Hi, long-time lurker, first-time poster. I've been using an Edwin Jagger DE89 from January to now, with Derby Premium blades, that I find works fine, but I'm curious about other options and trying more things. So far, I'm considering, for my second razor:
  1. Getting an adjustable razor. I like the idea of being able to make the razor more mild for "quicker" shaves, so I don't have to use my cartridge razor for them, and I think it might give me an idea of how much aggressiveness I'd like in a razor. The most recommended options seem to be the Rockwell 6C or Yaqi The Final Cut. I'm aware that there are vintage razors out there, particularly the Gillette Fatboy and its variants, that are also good, but I'm not as sure about their availability, and anyone that labels their listing as such seems to overprice them.
  2. Getting a slant razor. It seems like it'll be something of a different style of shaving. I've mainly been thinking about getting the PAA Monster Open Comb Double Slant, most likely the La Creatura for that cool, glittery green color. The Merkur 37C seems interesting, too, though.
Welcome to the forum!
You're gonna get tons of recommendations, LOL!!
So here are my picks:
You mentioned Slants & adjustables. Get both if you can to try them both out.

If you want new and relatively inexpensive:

True Adjustables: Pearl Flexi (Made of Brass), Merkur Progress or Parker Variant.
The Rockwell gives adjustability by switching plates!
The Yaqi is Made in China!
Slants: Merkur 37, Razorock German 37, Parker Semi-slant or Fatip Closed comb or Open comb slant (Made of brass)

If you want vintage and relatively inexpensive:

Adjustables: Gillette Slim or Gillette Super Adjustable (You can buy one cheap and if you like it, send it to get replated if you want it to look and work like new)
Slants: They exist but models are limited and are rather expensive

Good luck and have fun,
LRod

Are these supposed to be points for/against them or just things you think I should know about them before buying?
Points against! (these are dependant on whether you mind or not).
1. Adjustables that have knob adjustment are better in terms of being able to adjust immediately and you don't have different plates laying around.
2. I personally would rather buy something that's not Made in China if I have the choice.
Again, these things are personal choices!

Both are excellent options. I read some of the other posts. A couple of things that were mentioned “still your decision” and “your on you own” both very true. My 2 cents worth, I own 1 slant and thanks to reading threads here now 5 adjustable razors (story for another day). My slant is a 37c and I like it very much. But, most of my shaves (shave daily) are with adjustable or straight razors. A slant is a great option for a relative newbie because it’s not really any different from what your using now. The angle the blade hits the hair makes it’s slice it more and they can be very smooth. After a 3 pass with my slant I still end up with some polishing (not much) that I use a straight or shavette to do. My adjusters on the other hand require less if any polishing after I figured out the right setting and blade but the are under the nose is harder to get as any adjustable user will tell you.

I prefer the adjustable. But getting both isn’t a terrible option of that works with you budget. Both are different. Both offer something different and both are a potential improvement in shave quality from your de89 (have one and love it!).

The big thing is with the slant, you’ll get it, put in a blade then shave. No adjustment period needed. The adjuster will take a few shaves to dial in, start low and go from there until you hear harps and a bright light shins from the heavens. But, either way you’re probably going to like it.

2. . . .
I have a suspicion:

. . . If you're doing "quicker" shaves with a cartridge razor, you probably won't like aggressive razors --
. . . and most slants (all slants?) are aggressive.

Adjustables are much more friendly. I use, and like, a Merkur Progress. Check YouTube for a "mantic59" video that discusses some tricks, needed because of a design problem with the Progress.

My next adjustable (if it ever happens) will probably be a Pearl Flexi. It gets great reviews, it's fully machined, and not terribly expensive.

If you want something a fixed-head razor, a little milder than the DE89, try a Razorock Lupo 58 (stainless steel) or Lupo Al (aluminum). They're identical designs, both fully machined, the "Al" is less expensive. Nice razors, easy to use.

Have fun, don't spend all your lunch money --

. Charles

Can’t recommend a slant; I get the slant effect with a Gillette slide.

In adjustables, I’d go with a Slim or Superadjustable. They’re excellent, well-made razors without the Fatboy’s high price.

Reactions: CCS
I like the idea of being able to make the razor more mild for "quicker" shaves, so I don't have to use my cartridge razor for them
I hope that I'm not derailing your post here, but you made this statement above. I'm not going to recommend an adjustable or a slant (as I really have no experience with either), but if your goal is a quicker shave where you can whip the razor around your face without worry you'd be hard pressed to find something that does a better job of combining ease of use and efficiency as the Henson AL13.

Again, my recommendation doesn't address the two options that you threw out there, but it does address your primary concern in option #1.

I hope that I'm not derailing your post here, but you made this statement above. I'm not going to recommend an adjustable or a slant (as I really have no experience with either), but if your goal is a quicker shave where you can whip the razor around your face without worry you'd be hard pressed to find something that does a better job of combining ease of use and efficiency as the Henson AL13.

Again, my recommendation doesn't address the two options that you threw out there, but it does address your primary concern in option #1.
Or the ultimate “whippable” razor: the Schick injector

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The most recommended options seem to be the Rockwell 6C or Yaqi The Final Cut. I'm aware that there are vintage razors out there, particularly the Gillette Fatboy and its variants, that are also good, but I'm not as sure about their availability, and anyone that labels their listing as such seems to overprice them.
If it was myself I would just buy a Yaqi "the final cut" if looking for a new razor or the Rockwell C is another good one.
For vintage razors I enjoy the Gillette Fatboy and slim and the Schick injector adjustable.

L>R Yaqi TFC, Gillette Fatboy, Gillette Slim, Schick adjustable M3, Tom White TARMAX (proto type) & a Ming 2000 adjustable.
(Old archived photo)
Ron's adjustable razors 2022..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Yep same here, as a life long passionate collector( some call it RAD is razor addiction disorder - not me thou ). All I have is take your time, once you have your technic down. Really give some thought on the goal for that DE. Why do you want it or think you need another. I think them of as ...believe it on not ...as getting a tattoo. Now yes, I know that sounds a little extreme. But for me, I have not regret one razor( nor tattoo) that I scoped up. I only returned one (razor but got it replaced because of it's damaged condition received. Now I do have a fairly larger den but they all get into the rotation a some point. A Smart "Varity is the Spice of Life". Smiles BFX

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

My stable of adjustables includes the Sailor, Taiga, Muramasa, Pearl Flexi, the Final Cut, Denali, Gillette Executive, Gillette Fatboy, Gillette Slim, VISION, Konsul, etc.

The Rockwell is no more an adjustable than the Wolfman WR2 or any other razor with baseplate options, none of them being true adjustables. If you have to replace a part with another part that's not an adjustable.

7-23-22.Pearl.CanadaSS.SV.Cocobolo.640.JPG

Unless you want to spend big money get a Pearl Flexi. It's way better in all respects than TFC. All metal. Includes a stand. Very well made. Shaves great. Has the range to go from plenty aggressive (yet smooth) to quite mild.

1. Getting a slant razor. It seems like it'll be something of a different style of shaving. I've mainly been thinking about getting the PAA Monster Open Comb Double Slant, most likely the La Creatura for that cool, glittery green color. The Merkur 37C seems interesting, too, though.

In the PAA series I'd recommend the Filament. All of 'em are good though.

My collection of slants is modest compared to some, but I've got a few. It's very hard to top the FOCS + it's all metal and inexpensive. The FOCS is easy to use, super smooth used at a steep angle, not prone to cutting you, and very efficient.

10-11-22.X1.CanadaSS.RudyVey.2Band.640.JPG

That said, you could do yourself a huge favor and buy the ATT X1 slant. It might be the best razor I've used. It's also both a slant and an AC platform safety razor. Schick Proline blades work great in the X1. (Realize there are shorter Prolines for injectors; you want the longer AC blades, not the injector blades.)

Check out the Slantember thread for pictures of numerous slants. It's easy to find there the slants most often used by guys who use a lot of slants.

proxy.php

Adjustables and slants are like second razors...Big Rabbit Holes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom