What's new

Picking First DE Safety Razor. Currenly using Straight Razer.

Hey guys!

So I was using Straight Razer for last 4 months. It's very cool and I love the fact that I learned new skill, still sometimes it just takes too much time to shave with it (stropping and drying blade afterwards takes some time). So I'm gonna save it for weekends, but everyday when I'm very tired I want some simple shaves.

Plus I never tried DE Safety Razer.
I checked some threads and youtube videos. So I'm thinking about:
Merkur 37C - Just because looks like there is just NO negative reviews on it. But not sure if it is a good for everyday use. Probably Merkur 34C would be better?
Merkur 39C.
EJ DE89 - Fatboy guy on youtube had some amazing comments about it.

I have very sensitive skin and very thick facial hair, so It's very hard to get BSS without getting irritation. What would you recommend for me for everyday use?

Plus any advice on blades should I buy several small packs of Feathers and Astras?

And last question - very newbie one. How often should I change blades on safety razer?

Last edited:
Both the 37 and 39 are slants... I've heard mixed reviews about those. Look for advice by men who have used them. I have used the EJDE89 and a few different merkurs, but not the 34c. The 89 and 34c are very similar. I really like my 89... It is a great beginner razor, but if you've been using a straight, then a slant may be what you want. When I use my straight, the motion always seems to be more diagonal than straight down... A slant forces the blade to go diagonal while you move it up and down.
I also have sensitive skin... With de shaving, I find less is more. No pressure, fewer passes. Good luck picking a first razor! I'm going to go try to figure out this merkur progress I got for my birthday.

I'd recommend a sampler pack so you can experiment, but the ones that are consistent favorites are Gillette 7 O'Clock yellows, Feathers, Personnas, and Iridiums (Super?)....but then you'll get an oddball that says they love Astras or Treets or Derby's (shudder:scared:).

Last edited:
Okay, thanks guys! Ordered Muhle R89, sample razor pack plus Gillete 7 o'clock yellow (was amazed that it is made in Russia, I gotta check local store if they even have one).
Also grabbed alum block and Poraso green tea aftershave.

Okay, thanks guys! Ordered Muhle R89, sample razor pack plus Gillete 7 o'clock yellow (was amazed that it is made in Russia, I gotta check local store if they even have one).
Also grabbed alum block and Poraso green tea aftershave.

There are a LOT of very good blades made in St Petersburg Russia. You should have a very good local choice of DE blades

If it's your first DE I would go with the Jagger. That was my first razor, no matter how many DE's I try it will always be a favorite.

If it's your first DE I would go with the Jagger. That was my first razor, no matter how many DE's I try it will always be a favorite.
Well, seems like Muhle R89 is just different handle and overpriced version of EJ DE89 so I hope it was proper choice.

I love this guy's nick. If he's really from Russia I probably could help him...​

Do i need help ? :p

Top Bottom