What's new

Picked up a nice pair of cordovan chukkas.

A few weeks back I got a notification from Allen Edmonds that they were having a shell cordovan sales event. I was travelling so called into a store in the Chicago area and found that there were some goodies on offer. I ended up ordering a pair of the Dundee chukkas in bourbon color - I already have this in espresso brown and like it a lot. They told me that it would take 6-8 weeks to make up the shoes but they arrived yesterday only about 2 weeks after ordering. So far I am impressed - a very attractive shade of shell cordovan that doesn't show up very often for reasons that have been widely discussed here and on other forums. One reason for my loyalty to AE (and frustration with Alden) is that AE makes shoes that fit my feet. The 3E fits like a glove right out of the box. I wore the shoes all day today and they are already practically broken in. A few pics follow. I will follow up with some additional pics after a few weeks of wearing these. Note the bourbon are in the slightly lighter weight Dundee 2 design - I think that it works well
for the light
IMG_3014.JPG
IMG_3016.JPG
IMG_3019.JPG
IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3020.JPG
IMG_3021.JPG
IMG_3024.JPG
er color shell.

I too, am enamoured of Allen Edmonds. Probably the best value production boot this side of the pond.
Aldens may have the edge, especially with their signature cordovan, but their prices are too rich for my blood!

These shoes are breaking in nicely. As with the darker ones a slight rub on my left ankle for the first couple of days. Now they are getting very comfortable as the cork bed forms to my feet. A good shoe for fall.

I don't see those anywhere on the AE website..
Where do I find a pair?

AE has something called the cordovan trunk sale from time to time. Apparently they offer some of their older (and in this case discontinued) styles in less common leathers such as lighter colored shell cordovan. I would suggest calling AE and asking them when the next offering will be. I got an email and was going to delete it along with the dozens of other notifcations I get from vendors about sales and specials. I ended up taking a look and called in not expecting to have much luck. I was pleasantly surprised when they said "yes" we can make you a Dundee chukka in bourbon shell - do you want the same sizing as the pair you bought in brown 5 years ago? They told me 6 weeks and delivered in less than 3. Overall a success.

AE has something called the cordovan trunk sale from time to time. Apparently they offer some of their older (and in this case discontinued) styles in less common leathers such as lighter colored shell cordovan. I would suggest calling AE and asking them when the next offering will be. I got an email and was going to delete it along with the dozens of other notifcations I get from vendors about sales and specials. I ended up taking a look and called in not expecting to have much luck. I was pleasantly surprised when they said "yes" we can make you a Dundee chukka in bourbon shell - do you want the same sizing as the pair you bought in brown 5 years ago? They told me 6 weeks and delivered in less than 3. Overall a success.
Impressive!

Currently in Japan. I visited a small custom shoemaker that I've seen before. A very nice small shop with some hand made shoes. Careful precise attention to details. He made me up a pair of waxed cotton laces - about $9 made on the spot wth lots of choices of color, gauge and tips. I went with a matching light brown round waxed with antique tips. A small but worthwhile upgrade IMO.

The chukkas are very comfortable and I'm covering 5-7 miles a day of urban walking with no problems. Just change into dressier shoes for meetings during business hours.

IMG_1918.jpg
IMG_E3113.JPG
IMG_E3115.JPG

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
@blantyre

What are your impressions of these beautiful chukkas over these last several years since you obtained them?

Are there any appreciable differences that you’ve noticed in the patina, overall comfort and durability of these boots over the last few years.

Are you still pleased with this purchase?

Enquiring minds wanna know. 😀

Last edited:
@blantyre

What are your impressions of these beautiful chukkas over these last several years since you obtained them?

Are there any appreciable differences that you’ve noticed in the patina, overall comfort and durability of these boots over the last few years.

Are still pleased with this purchase?

Enquiring minds wanna know. 😀
The short answer is a resounding YES! These shoes are very comfortable, they are well made and I like the overall look and feel. One disappointment is that the creasing in the leather on the right shoe is noticeably different from the left. The left has the classic rolls that develop over time in shell cordovan. While the right has some of that, there are also some smaller creases and wrinkles. When new they both looked near perfect so I don’t think it was possible to anticipate this issue. I considered approaching AE but I was enjoying wearing the shoes and decided that this is part of buying a natural product - much like shaving brushes - they each have their own oddities.

22D8E7FD-5507-4A4A-814B-15EFA90FA625.jpeg

the soles and heels are holding up very well. A good solid JR sole properly welted. The color has darkeNed slightly perhaps but it’s not a major change. Comfort is excellent. I walk when ever possible and spend time on my feet at work. No issues at all. The AE cork footbeds work as well as any in the business. These shoes are sturdy so they are quite heavy but I only notice it when I’m putting them on the shoe rack not during use.

In short, I would certainly buy these again IF I needed any more footwear. Come to think of it, there‘s an email about a trunk show, rare leathers, hand lasted, custom styles… I have to run.

Top Bottom