What's new

picked up a gillette handy. patent 1921

Anybody heard of these things? Looks pretty cool. The whole thing folds up on itself and would almost but not quite fit inside a blade box.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Doh. I guess I just assumed it was a gillette with an older logo than the one's I'm used to seeing. It is a G in a diamond.

proxy.php

So, can anybody identify the maker by this logo?

Last edited:
I think that razor has U.S. Patent # 1376759, granted to Christian E.A. Gronbech, and the document doesn't mention it being assigned to anyone else, as would happen with Gillette's patents. The "G" may stand for Gronbech.

If your computer is set up to read TIF graphics, you can see the patent (including drawings that look to me like the razor in question) by entering the patent number here:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm

If you can't see TIF files, go to alternatiff.com for free software for PC's. I don't know of free software for Mac.

Also see:
http://shaveworld.org/shaveworld_web/samplepages.pdf

If you can't see TIF files, go to alternatiff.com for free software for PC's. I don't know of free software for Mac.

actually, the preview app that comes with mac OSX can read and write TIFFs, targas, PSD's, JPEG-2000 and more common formats like BMP, PICT, PNG, GIF, JPEG and PDF.

best of all, it's already installed and free

That helps a lot!

B-P Folding handle U.S.A. 1920 Double edge Bigelow Parkin Co., Pittsburg, Pensylvania American patent No. 1376759 3 May 1921 filed 9 Sep 1919. Christian E. A. Gronbech, Woodhaven, NY

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

R

rainman

Just when you thought you've seen everything...

Great find. Thanks for sharing. If you shave with it let us know how it works out.

Done!
Mixed results.

For the face, I found it to be fairly intuitive. Nice along the cheeks, mustache, jawline and chin. Under the chin and neck, not so good. Can't see where I'm going because my hand is in the way. Didn't get a good shave down there, and holding it upside down while maintaining an angle was difficult.
This would probably work well as a lady's razor.

Guido,You may find it interesting to know that the first razor shown has a yacht club burgee(flag) on it from the Douglaston Yacht club, Queens NY.

Douglaston Yacht Squadron

proxy.php

Guido,You may find it interesting to know that the first razor shown has a yacht club burgee(flag) on it from the Douglaston Yacht club, Queens NY.

Douglaston Yacht Squadron

proxy.php

Very cool! They were probably given to the members of the yacht club for some reason or other.

And this thread is proof once again why this site is so amazing. Thank you all. P.S. How the heck do you shave with that thing, what do you grip on to?

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Bump
Found one of these odd travel razor at a estate sale today. A Handy Safety Razor and is it small. Looks to be a promotional giveaway and survived we'll all these years. Even hade a Gillette Blue blade inside with datecode I-4 (1938?) with no rust.

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

Last edited:
Those are pretty cool, I almost bought one once. I probably would have but it didn't have a price on it and nobody could tell me how much it was. I believe that blade is from 1963.

Top Bottom