What's new

Picked up a blazer/coat today

Its a herringbone tweed jacket, the label says its 100% wool, the other label says John Weitz for Denver Men's Shop. I need to sew one of the buttons back on then have it cleaned. How did I do with my first thrift store purchase? Now, what do I wear this with? Its only 1.5 miles outside of my comfort zone, but thats ok.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thanks! It felt like it fit pretty good in the store, I'll grab a pic of me wearing it and post it up here.

I love thrift store finds. When trying to match items I look for "clues" in the item, the color of the lining, the buttons & patches on the elbows. Classy coat.

Here is a shot with me wearing it, button sewn back on. The sleeves may be just a tad short, what do you guys think? I was going to drop it off at the cleaners today, but they close at 1:00pm on Saturdays, meh, I'll drop it off on Monday.

proxy.php

Looks good on you! I've scored a few nice suit coats/blazers thrifting as well. It's amazing what finds its way into those stores once in awhile. Nicely done!

Very nice, it seems to fit well. Just wear a collared shirt underneath it, one that has the proper sleave length (as in, extends to the wrist, right to where your hand starts) and it will very easily and nicely hide the slightly short jacket length. :)

Got it back from the cleaners and wore it to church tonight, added a white pocket square to it. What do you guys think of the fit? It seems a little odd to me, but I did get several compliements tonight.

proxy.php

Looks fine to me, definitely an older cut, but one that looks fine. If you can fit your fist between the jacket and your body, it is about the correct "tightness" on your body. If you don't mind me doing so, a few other points may help you pull off a sharper look, versus one of just wearing a jacket.

1. Slightly longer sleeves on the collared shirt. It may just be the awkward picture angle, but another 1/4 or 1/2 inches on the sleeves will make the combo look better.
2. The white undershirt showing! Don't quite simply haha. Get a slightly deep v-neck, so that it doesn't show.
3. A pair of dark blue denim jeans will help make the shirt contrast a bit more, pop out, and it will nicely compliment the jacket methinks.
4. Top it all off with a pair of nice brown shoes, and you'll look fantastic!

Please don't take any of that as criticism, just trying to help! That is how I would personally dress up the blazer, but of course, you should have your own spin and style on it too. Looks like you're on your way! Good luck. :)

Please don't take any of that as criticism, just trying to help!
Of course not, thanks! Those aren't my favorite jeans, but they were all I had clean :) Again with undershirt, maybe I should just try and get used to not wearing one. I'm probably going to pick up some more jeans next payday.

Thanks again!

Nice score man, I am a sucker for old tweed. I generally go for a slightly longer jacket (around my finger tips with arms at my sides), but can't complain with that. I think the shirt length is a function of hoe you are standing, but certainly no shorter.

Nice work :thumbup:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What do you guys think of the fit? It seems a little odd to me, but I did get several compliements tonight.

proxy.php

The left sleeve looks better than the right, and maybe the body is an inch too short, but nothing is outside the range of acceptable, so you did fine.

You just want to make sure that you don't wear a shirt underneath that has really long sleeves, as you can end up with 4" of cloth exposed at your wrists if you move your arms.

(So yes, a good jacket. Just mind the sleeve length.)

Top Bottom