What's new

Pick only one soap: what would it be and why?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There are quite a few good choices out there. As I'm pretty much down to two soaps it's an easy choice for me: MdC.

I get about 380 shaves from a jar, so it's pretty cheap.
Easiest soap to lather I've used, and fastest lather.
Great shave and excellent post shave face feel.
Not a lot of crazy chemicals.

I'm also very fond of my other soap - WK Pasha's Pride. It's not quite as fast a lather and it cost quite a bit more, but it's a very nice soap.

Some shavers don't consider it a soap but it sure behaves like one: ABC . Mild and pleasant almond scent that doesn't linger, lather and lubrication second to none.

I can understand why so many people voted for Tabac in this thread.

I used it today and it is a great performer. No question about it. It's also darn cheap. I snagged the Taback Stick for $7.99 shipped. The stick will be convenient for traveling and you can use it without a brush if needed. It's a harder soap that's obviously going to last a while.

The scent is definitely the hold up with this soap. I fully agree with the post above that its a "flowery/spice/cologne kind of mix". Like I mentioned earlier, my wife said it smells like a "Dirty Old Grandma". That statement alone would scare a lot of potential buyers off! I also think its one of those scents you sorta can get use to in a strange way. It grows on you... I find myself sniffing it nearly every time I walk into the bathroom. Maybe part of me is hoping the scent will mellow out and transform into a something else... or perhaps subconsciously, there's a part of me that has a thing for Dirty Old Grandmas... I don't know. My point is, everyone should try it. Skip your Taco Bell lunch today and go buy a stick of Tabac!

Since I have to pick only one, then I choose the Mitchell's Wool Fat. It provides excellent slickness and a great post-shave feel, while the scent is very pleasant and mild, so that I can use it every day without getting tired of it. For me, it lathers up very well and the cost per shave is low.

Sophie's Choice time here, and maybe even tougher than Meryl Streep's choice, but I would probably go with A&E NYC. It's by far the best fougere I have ever smelled. Somehow it smells very clean and sophisticated, while also being a little dirty and naughty at the same time. Not to mention the A&E slickness being out of this world.

Very tough to nail down to one. Different soap attributes for different shaving moods and needs. But, I guess maybe Haslingers Aloe. I like the scent, very fresh, lathers easy, and provides a good combination of slickness and cushion.

Arko for the sheer reason that it is impossible not to get a great lather. Simple, effective and economical. Combined with a decent aftershave the experience is great!

D R Harris Marlhorough hard soap puck. Tripple milled, super smooth, made with tallow the way true soap is made! Mild but very pleasing scent. Slick, luxurious lather to get the job done smoothly! After 200+ years of doing this, I would say they've got it right!

I've got lots of soaps that perform really well, including MdC, Tabac, Musgo, and La Toja. And scads of soaps that smell great, like Muhle Buckthorn, PdP, and various new "boutique" offerings. But there is one soap that, for me, stands above with both top of the class performance AND a scent that literally improves my worldview every time I crack the lid: Officina Artigiana Stay Traditional. Citrus nirvana and amazing lather qualities.

Top Bottom