What's new

Pick my next Scotch

On the topic of Famous Grouse, if you can find it, the Black Grouse is actually a really nice blend. Similar to Johnnie Black Label at significantly less $$
Thanks for the tip. JWB is my default drink, but if I can find something like it that is more economical, so much the better. I'll be on the lookout.

Thanks for the tip. JWB is my default drink, but if I can find something like it that is more economical, so much the better. I'll be on the lookout.
More economical would possibly be Black Bottle or Scottish Leader? Both around 20 dollars. Black Bottle can be found for even less than twenty in some places

Macallan 12--Everyone that is into Scotch should at least "know" this one. I am not saying it is my favorite or even a favorite. But one should be aware of it.

15 seems like something of an awkward age for me. 18, however, is usually a very "dear" age.

Macallan 18 is a lovely whisky, I enjoy it quite a lot. The 12 is also very nice. I tried the 15 year American Oak and was not at all impressed... not worth the price, and there is no way I would waste my money on the 10. I found it too hot and rough around the edges for a 15 year whisky.
IMHO Glenfiddich 15 is the best bang for your buck as it can be had around here for about $60 and drinks like a much more expensive Scotch. Very good flavor, smooth, and finishes fairly long. For these reasons it is my go-to Scotch.
Glenlivit Nadurra is also a fantastic Scotch - very buttery mouthfeel, charismatic flavor with a looooong finish but be warned it is strong. Smooth for its proof mind you, but strong.

The Macallan 18 is wonderful, I agree. But it should be at about $190 a bottle compared to the 12 at more like $45. My impression is that Macallan prices relatively high. I find the American oak ecpression rather hot, too.

I have to agree. I have a 19 year oak aged Glenfiddich "Age of Discovery" that is a very well made smooth oak Scotch. Only available at select duty free stores I got it coming home from Canada last year and it was cheaper than the Macallan 15 American Oak. (And far superior in my opinion)
Another lovely oak I had was made by Tullibardine. I believe it was aged 16 years. I took a bottle home after visiting the distillery in Scotland; the distillate that forms their Scotches is amazing and brings a host of grainy flavors to the table which I found very enjoyable. I want another bottle badly but they don't have that particular bottling available anymore.

Last edited:
Mac 12 is a my go to single malt (JWB my preferred blend).

If you want something really different and not crazy expensive, give Deanston Virgin Oak a try. It runs locally $25-30. It is a polarizing scotch. It's very woody and very different but if you're looking for a break from Islay scotch it is about as far as you could get.

The Macallan 18 is wonderful, I agree. But it should be at about $190 a bottle compared to the 12 at more like $45. My impression is that Macallan prices relatively high. I find the American oak ecpression rather hot, too.

For less than the price of the Macallan 18, I decided on a Glenfarclas 25 which was very, very good. Complex and sherried to be brief. Very satisfying.

... And additionally, the younger Glenfarclas bottlings are also splendid. A recent Burns Supper had a 12, 17, 25, and 40 (!!!) year old on hand to enjoy. I've currently a 10 that is good, too.

All very well priced.

Last edited:
I'm fairly new to single malts but the Glenlivet 15 is so far my favorite of the easily found singles. If you want more peat I also enjoyed the Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

+1 ... although your menu is somewhat limited.

Of the other choices, I can't stand Glenfiddich. I used to order it at a dive-bar that my friend used to drag me to, since that was the only Scotch they had. After one drink, I'd always get so depressed that I had to go out to my car and try and sleep while I waited for my friend to finish up. But he was having a great time, usually drinking Bass Ale, and I had to wait in my car for 2 or 3 hours. So I've hated Glenfiddich with a passion ever since. YMMV, of course.

Glenlivet - I've had the 15, never heard of the Nadurra. I thought the 15 was adequate, but nothing special. I could drink it, and have a second, but it was never my first choice when there were other brands available.

Thinking of Glenfiddich, I had a friend that was in his late 60's that used to say "For Two Bottles of Glenfiddich" I will break both of somebody's arms and legs. I know that he's gone now I think he drank himself to death.

Thinking of Glenfiddich, I had a friend that was in his late 60's that used to say "For Two Bottles of Glenfiddich" I will break both of somebody's arms and legs. I know that he's gone now I think he drank himself to death.
Too bad that he's gone, I might take him up on his offer.

Two bottles of Glenfiddich would be a cheap price to pay to get revenge on some of the people that have done me wrong over the years.
Heck, if I could get him to lay some suffering on one of my ex-landlords, I'd buy him a whole case.

Something else that is inexpensive and a blended but tastes very nice is Monkey Shoulder. Just picked up a bottle for 30 dollars . It is not bad. Also something in my opinion that is the same taste profile as Mac 12 but a little nicer and around the same price is Glenmorangie Lasanta

Last edited:
Top Bottom