What's new

Picinkg up my first vintage SE razor(s)

Hi @troy,

Hello Sir Troy! I hope this note finds you well Sir! I happened upon this old thread while researching my two Damaskeene Razors. I viewed your posted photos and realized that I also own a "squat head round cap non Damaskeene" Razor with Case & Blade Bank. Sweeeet! Pray tell, is the "Squat Head Round Cap" a good shaver ?
I will have to soon give it a try as well as one of my Damaskeene Razors.

SixCats!

@jmudrick, LOL!
1572659095109.png

Zoe Bear!

Hi @troy,

Hello Sir Troy! I hope this note finds you well Sir! I happened upon this old thread while researching my two Damaskeene Razors. I viewed your posted photos and realized that I also own a "squat head round cap non Damaskeene" Razor with Case & Blade Bank. Sweeeet! Pray tell, is the "Squat Head Round Cap" a good shaver ?
I will have to soon give it a try as well as one of my Damaskeene Razors.

SixCats!
Hi SixCats. It's been a while, but from what I remember it is very mild. With a fresh blade it will get the job done, but not the razor for cutting down a week's growth or getting lots of shaves from a blade. Congrats, be sure to let us know how your's shaves!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
So far I used DE razors, Gillette NEW and Slim and I am looking to broaden my horizons.

After some reading I have found a few razors that look interesting
  • GEM Micromatic OC OR CP
  • Ever-Ready 1914.
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene
Would like to to hear your thoughts about them, other suggestions and which one will be good for a first time SE shaver?

In regards to the blades, according to "tryablade" there is almost no brand selection, is this the case, and are the modern SE blades fit the razors on my list?

Side question, why did the DE blades took the lead over SE, theoretically speaking, DE last twice as long as SE (hence the name)?
Looks like you have done some home work into Vintage SE razors, SE blades last longer than DE up to about 10 comfortable shaves or $.02-.04 cents per shave about the same as DE cost per shave IMO. SE seems to perform better on my tough whiskers in the winter months. Most of the suggestions above are reasonable choices IMO. I like a milder gem razor(MMBT or Gem featherweight) with a brand new Gem blade for a couple of shaves because they are one of the sharpest blades and then progress to the MMOC or MMCP.
I buy my Gem blades & injector blades from Connaught shaving because I live in Northern Canada and have them shipped to me at a reasonable price. GEM by Personna Stainless Coated Single Edge Razor Blades - https://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html
If you want more information on Gems & some Everready razors.
Gem Razor Models - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gem-razor-models.554376/page-28
Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom