What's new

Picinkg up my first vintage SE razor(s)

So far I used DE razors, Gillette NEW and Slim and I am looking to broaden my horizons.

After some reading I have found a few razors that look interesting
  • GEM Micromatic OC OR CP
  • Ever-Ready 1914.
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene
Would like to to hear your thoughts about them, other suggestions and which one will be good for a first time SE shaver?

In regards to the blades, according to "tryablade" there is almost no brand selection, is this the case, and are the modern SE blades fit the razors on my list?

Side question, why did the DE blades took the lead over SE, theoretically speaking, DE last twice as long as SE (hence the name)?

I started with the GEM MMOC, but quickly added others as well.
The Clog Pruf is a nice shaver as well, but my favourite is the Damaskeene.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I've heard the MMOC is fairly aggressive, so be careful.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

IMHO, I would chose the Gem or Ever-Ready as the first SE razor.... but you are experienced ( New & Slim)... so do eventually get a GE Micromatic OC !

Gem 1912 & Ever-Ready 1914: Advantage - Mild to Moderate Aggressiveness Disadvantage - Short handle

Gem Micromatic OC
: Advantage - Pretty aggressive for close shave, long handle Disadvantage - Pretty aggressive

I use my 1912 or my 1914 for days I don't care about BBS - DFS will do ... nice change up these razors.

I use one of my Gem MM OC for days I want a BBS ... you can feel the blade. This is my favorite SE razor by far .. I have 2 in my line up all the time: 1 brass & 1 chrome.

On SE blades, I buy PTFE (teflon coated) Gem blades from Ted Pella ... yeah, 100 or 200 at a time. These blades are super sharp!

Enjoy the world of SE shaving!

I would stay away from the ER 1914 as your first vintage. It is one of my best Gem blade shavers, however the early version had very small end tabs for the blade in the front of the guard and a top cap where you needed to hold two sides of the head to open and close with a spring that made it very hard to do it. When loading a blade, you had to hold the front of the blade down to keep it seated in the hooks while gently trying to put the top cap down, which snaps shut like a snapping turtle. The later version with the larger hooks make thing a little easier. For all the headaches, I still enjoy the shave with that razor. Just not a first vintage choice.

Side question, why did the DE blades took the lead over SE, theoretically speaking, DE last twice as long as SE (hence the name)?

Because, figuratively, King Gillette walked into the living room and took a massive dump in the middle of the carpet.:001_rolle

MASSIVE marketing, "get something free"(i.e., he basically gave away razors, selling his blades).

Thank you all, I am going to purchase me the Ever-Ready 1914 and the Gem 1912.
In regard to the Gem 1912, should I insist on the Damaskeene variation or basically any Gem 1912 will do?

Because, figuratively, King Gillette walked into the living room and took a massive dump in the middle of the carpet.:001_rolle

MASSIVE marketing, "get something free"(i.e., he basically gave away razors, selling his blades).

What was the reason Gillette decided to go with the DE, Was it a patent issue or they felt that they would be able to do more proprietary things with the DE design?

Good luck with your SE's. I have tried several and just couldn't get them to work as well as my DE's. That is just my experience and hopefully, YMMV.

Go for a 1912, but not a Damaskeene. IMHO any one of my regular flat cap 1912s shaves circles around my Damaskeene or my curved cap non-Damaskeene. The curved caps work, but border on being too mild. My favorites are the Ever Readys with the chain link handles.

Go for a 1912, but not a Damaskeene. IMHO any one of my regular flat cap 1912s shaves circles around my Damaskeene or my curved cap non-Damaskeene. The curved caps work, but border on being too mild. My favorites are the Ever Readys with the chain link handles.
I'm with Troy on this one. found the Damaskeene a big disapointment.

Good luck with your SE's. I have tried several and just couldn't get them to work as well as my DE's. That is just my experience and hopefully, YMMV.
I hope it will go well

Go for a 1912, but not a Damaskeene. IMHO any one of my regular flat cap 1912s shaves circles around my Damaskeene
I'm with Troy on this one. found the Damaskeene a big disapointment.

Good to know, is there a good picture showing the difference between 1912 flat cap and round cap?

I'd go with a 1912 other than a Damaskeene. While I like the Damaskeene quite a bit, it has developed a bit of a cult following and a nice clean set can fetch a premium price.

The 1930's era Improved Ever-Ready 1912 models are great shavers and are easy to find at attractive prices.

--Bob

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Here are a few pics. The Damaskeene is on the far left. The one next to it is a squat head round cap non Damaskeene the rest are all flat caps. It's hard to see the differences, but Honestly your chances of accidentally picking up a round cap are pretty slim. Most have the flat cap probably only a couple percent are round.
DSCF0210.JPG
DSCF0211.JPG

Congratulations! Sounds like a great introduction to the world of single edge shaving. :thumbup1:

If the Damaskeene is in okay or better condition you got a bargain.

--Bob

Hi all,

I have a couple of Damaskeene Razors I've yet to try. Is there much difference in the Damaskeene vs. my Ever-Ready 1912 ? I quite enjoy in simple 1912 Ever-Ready.

SixCat!

Hi all,

I have a couple of Damaskeene Razors I've yet to try. Is there much difference in the Damaskeene vs. my Ever-Ready 1912 ? I quite enjoy in simple 1912 Ever-Ready.

SixCat!
Many feel it's a milder shave than the later 1912.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom