What's new

Piccolo for a travel razor?

Hello,
I'm curious if anyone here would use a piccolo for a travel razor. I see people charging decent money for " travel razors" I believe the piccolo would be small enough. I have the retro and am trying to have a purpose for the razors I own. So would it be pointless to own both the retro and the piccolo, with one being a travel razor? When you think about it, I think the piccolo would hold up to travel better than most zamak razors right?

Hello,
I'm curious if anyone here would use a piccolo for a travel razor. I see people charging decent money for " travel razors" I believe the piccolo would be small enough. I have the retro and am trying to have a purpose for the razors I own. So would it be pointless to own both the retro and the piccolo, with one being a travel razor? When you think about it, I think the piccolo would hold up to travel better than most zamak razors right?

You can't bring the blades on the plane with you.

You can't bring the blades on the plane with you.
Yea true. I just see a lot of companies marketing travel razors and I understand the need. I guess people buy the blades wherever they travel to. The other thing is travel could mean no plane and buy car. But I guess the question is would it make a good one? I'm trying to keep my razors to a minimum.

I think about any 3-piece makes a good travel razor as long as you're checking it, not carrying it on. I take the handle off of mine so it won't get broken off by rough baggage handling. I leave the baseplate and top cap together and wrap them up in some tissues and pack in my kit.

I think about any 3-piece makes a good travel razor as long as you're checking it, not carrying it on. I take the handle off of mine so it won't get broken off by rough baggage handling. I leave the baseplate and top cap together and wrap them up in some tissues and pack in my kit.
Yea, I agree. I guess I was thinking you see all travel razors are smaller. Maybe because travel could mean a lot. It could mean just portable. Travel in a case, travel on a trip, travel to the bathroom to shave at work lol. But they are all small. And when you think of travel I would think that is when a lot of razors would be banged around and possibly break. I think a brass travel would hold up better possibly than some others. But that's digging into the subject I know.

TSA issues apart, IMHO, any razor that can gave you a comfortable shave with no drama, weepers or ritual grade preparation (ie. no noises, 3 hours preshave preparation, oil, snake oils, etc...) can be a travel razor. I normally rotate between a NOS Gillette Tech with plastic handle, a OneBlade Core and when I travel by airplane a disposable BIC ( I only travel wit carry on luggage, never document on a plane). On my last travels I been using the Heritage with good results...

Cheers

Yes, a Piccolo is fine. Why use anything else?
When you travel you will not want to look like a vagrant or bum.
Definitely Piccolo is fine for travel.
I use mine all the time and put it into a snap lid plastic case (kitchen accessory) that is just the right size for a Piccolo razor fully assembled.
My only 'other' travel razor is a cheap Slim 'Twist' that is OK, but only when I'm out on a long haul truck drive. If I lost the 'Twist' I wouldn't cry too much.

The travel razor concept is basically a way to sell more razors. Years ago, they came out with neat little zippered cases to hold the razor and blades. You could stuff these little kits anywhere. Really, any 3-piece can be taken apart and stowed, though.

Any 3 piece razor breaks down nicely for travel and the Piccolo fits that bill very well. I use the EJ DE89 as my travel razor, fully assembled in a leather case like this one.
razor-leather-case.jpg

Yea, I agree. I guess I was thinking you see all travel razors are smaller. Maybe because travel could mean a lot. It could mean just portable. Travel in a case, travel on a trip, travel to the bathroom to shave at work lol. But they are all small. And when you think of travel I would think that is when a lot of razors would be banged around and possibly break. I think a brass travel would hold up better possibly than some others. But that's digging into the subject I know.
I have one of those vintage Merkur travel razors with a metal case and have traveled with it quite a bit. Something with a case is always an option too but I think you'd be fine with a Piccolo and no case if that's what you like.

Sure! A Piccolo should work fine as long as you don’t try to bring blades in a carry on.

I carry on a light Lord L6 without blades if I will be at one location for awhile. Blades are either mailed to my hotel or bought on site. :thumbup: :thumbup:

My Wilkinson Sword Classic is my travel razor when I go where I am separate from my luggage...when I travel by car it's the Tech just like at home.

The idea behind a travel razor is that it suppose to be light and compact. You travel light, that's the idea. That's why most mobile homes have most things made of plastic like the bathroom sink and faucet. Keep it light and compact.
The same with guys who carry a gun. Most now are light plastic material. Travel light, that's the idea.

The idea behind a travel razor is that it suppose to be light and compact. You travel light, that's the idea. That's why most mobile homes have most things made of plastic like the bathroom sink and faucet. Keep it light and compact.
The same with guys who carry a gun. Most now are light plastic material. Travel light, that's the idea.
That's one way to look at it. The gun thing being plastic could be to, I don't know, not trigger a metal detector. But light is good, as long as it does not snap in half when you drop your bag.

The idea behind a travel razor is that it suppose to be light and compact. You travel light, that's the idea...
You don't save any significant weight, though, a fraction of an ounce. Plus it's a pain to shave with a tiny handle. Notice how many of the vintage ones are practically unused.

You don't save any significant weight, though, a fraction of an ounce. Plus it's a pain to shave with a tiny handle. Notice how many of the vintage ones are practically unused.
Would you consider the piccolo handle tiny? That's the smallest handle I've ever owned. I know they make smaller

Top Bottom