What's new

Picadillo Recipe

Cuban classic!! Add a good traditionally missed item for a bit of change. Golden raisins!! About 1/4 cup per pound of beef. Makes a huge difference.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Cuban classic!! Add a good traditionally missed item for a bit of change. Golden raisins!! About 1/4 cup per pound of beef. Makes a huge difference.

I like the raisans but the wife doesn't. Instead of raisans you can get a similar flavor from a few prunes that you remove after about an hour. A trick I learned from chili competitions.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looks good Chris. I used cherry tomatoes along with a half a can of crushed tomatoes. Just can't get good tomatoes. I used the powdered hatch chili from Mild Bill's too.

I forgot the peas.

Nothing wrong with tomatoes canned at their best. That Mild Bills powder is great stuff, thanks again Aaron.

I have used raisins in a curry before. I can almost taste them in a picadillo. I'll try that next time.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I'd never had Picadillo before but the idea of raisins and olives in the same dish intrigued me. My google-fu found this; Picadillo recipe from NYT Cooking that got hundreds of 5 star reviews. The recipe uses raisins and olives, just like I was looking for, but no carrots and potatoes. So I decided to do a fusion of DoctorShavegood's & the NYT recipe.

I will call it Doctor(ed) Picadillo. :biggrin:

INGREDENTS

1 Tablespoon olive oil

1 large sweet onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound lean ground beef

6 oz. maple syrup breakfast sausage

14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes

8 oz. can tomato sauce

1 tablespoon chopped Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce.

2 tablespoon red-wine vinegar

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

2 teaspoons ground cumin

2 bay leaves

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1/8 teaspoon allspice

1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base

2 cups diced potatoes

2 cups diced carrots

2 tablespoons capers

2/3 cup golden raisins

2/3 cup sliced stuffed green olives

1/2 cup water

salt & pepper to taste

Doctor(ed) Picadillo
$Picadillo.jpg

OMG, it was good! :001_wub: ..... which is a good thing, 'cause it made enough for us to get two more meals out of it. :001_smile

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'd never had Picadillo before but the idea of raisins and olives in the same dish intrigued me. My google-fu found this; Picadillo recipe from NYT Cooking that got hundreds of 5 star reviews. The recipe uses raisins and olives, just like I was looking for, but no carrots and potatoes. So I decided to do a fusion of DoctorShavegood's & the NYT recipe.

I love this....and way beyond the call of duty. Thank you Connie.

I'll have to make a two pot Pico next time. The wife can't abide the raisins or the green olives. She's not a big cinnamon person either unless it's on toast. I could change the recipe and use black olives and say nothing about the raisins. :sneaky2:

...Doctor(ed) Picadillo...it has a nice ring to it.:001_smile Of course now I'll have to add it to the wikirecipes.

We had my brother in law over for picadillo Saturday night and he suggested turning it into a breakfast burrito with egg and home fry potatoes, tortilla, green chili sauce etc.
I think it's perfect in a toasted corn tortilla with Marie Sharps dabbed on but this sounds pretty good too.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

INGREDENTS

1 Tablespoon olive oil

1 large sweet onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound lean ground beef

6 oz. maple syrup breakfast sausage

14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes

8 oz. can tomato sauce

1 tablespoon chopped Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce.

2 tablespoon red-wine vinegar

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

2 teaspoons ground cumin

2 bay leaves

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1/8 teaspoon allspice

1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base

2 cups diced potatoes

2 cups diced carrots

2 tablespoons capers

2/3 cup golden raisins

2/3 cup sliced stuffed green olives

1/2 cup water

salt & pepper to taste

Doctor(ed) Picadillo
View attachment 654243

OMG, it was good! :001_wub: ..... which is a good thing, 'cause it made enough for us to get two more meals out of it. :001_smile

Added to the wikirecipes:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Connies_Doctor_ed_Picadillo

Connie, feel free to edit as needed.

I wouldn't recognize picadillo without the raisins and olives, and my wife views them as essential as well.
The raisins are the star of the show for me. The way they plump up and absorb all the flavors is great. My Cuban recipe calls for sherry, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste as well.

My wife has been visiting her family and requisitioned a batch of the pies with the garlic-cornmeal crust.
Five of them are in the freezer.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Cooler weather is on the horizon so I'll need to pull out the recipe and give it a go...wait....cooler weather is not on the horizon.

Love the look of the Picadillo. Brings to mind sloppy Joe. I like the smokiness of the chipotle in adobo. I run into a difficulty in that I can't use a whole can in the batch of chili I make. Are there other uses?
I use it in everything from meat loaf to scrambled eggs. I put a little adobo sauce in baked beans. It doesn't take me long to use up a can.

Love the look of the Picadillo. Brings to mind sloppy Joe. I like the smokiness of the chipotle in adobo. I run into a difficulty in that I can't use a whole can in the batch of chili I make. Are there other uses?

All i can get now around here are large tins of Chipotles, if you put the leftovers in a sealed container and into the fridge, they'll last and last, never had them go bad, the vinegar?

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
All i can get now around here are large tins of Chipotles, if you put the leftovers in a sealed container and into the fridge, they'll last and last, never had them go bad, the vinegar?

dave

These are now available in our stores:

$f8e5d7ed-7966-415b-a10c-34595c96e636_1.89d325719db9a6278b3e17a46eafdd26.jpeg

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Our 1st Norther of the year just blew in and I am making picadillo tonight!!
BUT....I am using zucchini and cauliflower instead of potatoes!!
Ground beef, onion, zucchini, and cauliflower!
Spices: Garlic, pepper, and comino with some tomato broth (Knorr)

marty

Top Bottom