What's new

Picadillo Recipe

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's a good one. It's basically a ground beef stew with finely diced carrots and potatoes. This recipe has more of the Mexican influence, but you can tweak this to your own liking. I like to put it in corn tortilla's with a little squeezed lime and hot salsa. It could be served over rice.

Beef Picadillo

Ingredients
1 Lb. of Ground Beef
3 Tomatoes or 1 can of tomatoes
1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo (from a can)
1 Potato diced small
1 Carrot diced small
1/2 cup of Peas
1 medium Onion
2 Garlic cloves (1 finely diced)
1 diced jalapeno pepper
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of oregano
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
Pepper to taste
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
Pinch of your favorite chili powder
1 can of chicken stock

Directions

-Finely
chop 3/4 of an onion , then reserve. Peel 1 potato and 1 carrot, dice, then set aside.
-Put in a blender: 3 Tomatoes (or the can of tomatoes), 1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo, 1/4 of the onion, 1 garlic clove and pepper to taste.
-Blend the ingredients very well, then set aside.
-Heat a dutch oven over medium heat add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
-Put the ¾ diced onion in the dutch oven along with the diced garlic clove and diced jalapeno. Saute it for approximately 5 minutes, until the onions look transparent; stir regularly.
-Put in the ground beef with the onions and fry it for about 4 minutes, until it is lightly cooked and it has a light brown color; stir regularly.

Add All the Ingredients together

The sauce that was blended (strain first in a fine mesh strainer)
The Potato and Carrot dices that were chopped
1 can of chicken stock
1/2 cup of Peas
2 Bay Leaves
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of Oregano
1/2 tablespoon of Salt

Mix the dutch oven ingredients and bring the sauce to a boil over high heat.
When the sauce boils reduce to low heat and cook the beef picadillo for about 15 or 20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked but still firm. When the cooking is done discard the 2 bay leaves.

Browning beef onion and garlic
$IMG_0873.jpg

diced carrot and potato
$IMG_0874.jpg

blended sauce
$IMG_0875.jpg

All in the pot with a little chicken stock
$IMG_0876.jpg

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I couldn't wait for dinner. Picadillo taco; Corn tortilla, homemade salsa, sprig of cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

$IMG_0877.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I made a small tweak. I added about 1 tablespoon of New Mexico chili powder and a big pinch of cayenne for some spice. It was a subtle change. Next time I may add one tablespoon of tomato paste.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looks nice Aaron. I have never heard of Picadillo and thought you may have made a typo with piccalilli when I read the title.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Looks nice Aaron. I have never heard of Picadillo and thought you may have made a typo with piccalilli when I read the title.

Yeah, it's pronounced pica-de-yo. Give it a try sometime. It's easy to make and is something different with familiar flavors and textures.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Okay, yes the seafood here is amazing! What is a good substitute for the chipolte? I don't care for the burnt taste they impart.

I wondered about you saying that it imparted a "burnt" taste. The dried smoked chipotle peppers will have a bitter flavor but the canned version is a nice spicy, sweet smokiness that I love. This is the brand I like to use:

$Chipotle.jpg

If you can't find it locally, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you some. :001_smile

I wondered about you saying that it imparted a "burnt" taste. The dried smoked chipotle peppers will have a bitter flavor but the canned version is a nice spicy, sweet smokiness that I love. This is the brand I like to use:

View attachment 566809

If you can't find it locally, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you some. :001_smile

Those are awesome, wife likes to use them in a sauce she makes for fish tacos sometimes. Not that brand in particular though. Wonderful flavor!

View attachment 566809

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to keep my eyes open. Up in this part of the world BBQ sauce is considered wild and crazy :thumbup:

Top Bottom