What's new

Picadillo Recipe

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
left over picadillo toasties...........yum.

$20150708_165907.jpg

I made something very similar last night without potatoes and used shiitake mushrooms. I would eat yours too...provided you have extras :)

We do like Piccadillo in my family. But I wonder whether the measures of cumin and oregano, etc are meant to be fresh, dried, powdered or whatever?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We do like Piccadillo in my family. But I wonder whether the measures of cumin and oregano, etc are meant to be fresh, dried, powdered or whatever?

For oregano I use the the dried Mexican oregano leaves. Mainly because it's easy to get. Fresh oregano would be great though. I buy cumin seed, toast them, then grind in my spice grinder.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Picadillo tonight. Making a double batch too. I plan on leaving the potatoes out of the part I'll freeze. Potatoes don't do well frozen unless they are under-cooked or flash frozen.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I was supposed to make this over the weekend and ran out of time; my wife got tired of waiting and made it for dinner tonight:)
It has been raining here nonstop all day and this might be the perfect rainy day/cold weather meal; it's warm, satisfying, hearty, delicious. I think it's going to be a regular around here. It has loads more flavor than it looks like it ought to if that makes any sense, the adobo peppers really make it interesting. I had it as tacos with some chipotle cholula and the girls all had it over rice. I didn't want to quit eating!

View attachment 581390

That looks delicious!
This is a photo of mine as we were putting it away last night

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 34

martym

I'm actually going to be in your neck of the woods next week. I'll be checking out a market basket!

A few years ago I was in New Hampshire for my oldest daughter's high school graduation. (She wanted to go to boarding school). We had the pleasure of going to your neck of the woods and eating at the Lobster Shack! That was my 1st time to have a lobster roll. Incredible!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
A well timed bump Aaron. I was just about to go looking for this.

Good man. The sky's the limit on ingredients. Some folks like to use raisins and green olives. Or leave out cumin and oregano. It's alll up to you.

That looks delicious!
This is a photo of mine as we were putting it away last night

Looks great Marty. I like mine a little more loose like yours. Not quite a soup but brothy.

Nice CT by the way :thumbup:

martym

Thanks Aaron!
Some great eating for sure.

In ref the CT
as the old saying goes: Todos tienen sú cruz.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Here's mine. I followed the basic recipe for a double batch with some very slight tweaks.
I used canned cherry tomatoes, halved the cumin, double the garlic, used a heap teaspoon of hatch chilli powder, a wildfire chilli fresh off the plant not jalapeno and used frozen mixed veggies.

Hey I'm a kiwi boy so I had it on toast.

$20160423_184857(0).jpg

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Looks good Chris. I used cherry tomatoes along with a half a can of crushed tomatoes. Just can't get good tomatoes. I used the powdered hatch chili from Mild Bill's too.

I forgot the peas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom