What's new

Photos from the 30-40's.

I've seen a lot of older photos online (Shorpy) as well as in many books and as I'm currently looking through the book "The Likes of Us" by Stu Cohen on some of the FSA photographs it made me wonder. Are there still places and opportunities to capture photographs in the USA like Wolcott, Lange, Shaun, Lee, and Delano did? I don't necessarily mean portraits of destitute persons, as they did many shots with no person as the central theme, but just the feel and tone of the image. Steven McCurry has images of India that remind me at times of some of these old photos for instance. I guess there is just something about that era that pulls my head in and won't let go. I'm only 43, but have been accused of being an "old soul".

Look for a book called, Bystander, a History of Street Photography.
It is filled with the kind of images you like.

And if you like Jack Delano, also look up the work of Harry Calahan. Calahan is easily my all time favorite photog.

Jack Delano is one of my favorites out of that group for sure. I'll check out Calahan. I wish I had the people skills (moxie) to do some of that.

You can also check out Shelby Lee Adams. He did work in Appalachia.
The book "Salt and Truth". This might be too much of the destitute people thing.

I think for what you are going after in our modern world of digital, you can find subject matter in more rural locations. However to get the mood, I believe that this will have to come in the PP of the photos. After all the older images you would like to emulate are taken with 30's and 40's era equipment and film. That in its own right, generates the mood/tone/feel.
Also, in looking at theses works a bit more - just the subjects themselves (cars, people w/clothing, trains, buildings) all attribute to the feel. You really have to get into a location of "small town America" to find this.
I tried to kinda get there with this photo (create a mood/image of a little boy fishing in a simpler time). Not sure i was successful:

Attachments

• $DSC_8371a.jpg
    $DSC_8371a.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
just a couple more names -

john gutman
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]alexander rodchenko
minor white

sometimes it's hard to get away from all of the eponymous depression photography which can be, ya know, DEPRESSING.

I know a good part of the old FSA and OWI were staged to an extent. I've read several accounts where the photographer just couldn't get the subject in the proper mood so to speak, so might have a friend or relative talk to them about something depressing or upsetting, trying to get the facial expressions they were looking for. You can see it sometimes in the photos. They're great photos and convey the tone and mood of the situation, which was the idea.

Like I said earlier, I'm not really a people person and would have no idea how to meter or shoot for any kind of portrait. Could be why these old portrait photos hold such a high interest for me?

I'm from small town America, so maybe that is the place to start. I grew up in a town of 700 people and the nearest town that was larger was 35 miles away.

Keep the info on photographers and books to check out coming!

From an earlier era, Eugene Atget. He was the father of Street Photography. He documented old Paris.

Imogene Cunningham, fantastic 8x10 depression era photographer, and major influence of Georgia O'Keeffe.
Henri Cartier-Bresson, Alfred Stieglitz, Gordon Parks.

Thomas Leuthard is another street photographer to check out. Also, he never talks to the people he shoots, explaining what he's doing takes too long and ruins natural expressions, he says.

-Xander

Thomas Leuthard is another street photographer to check out. Also, he never talks to the people he shoots, explaining what he's doing takes too long and ruins natural expressions, he says.

-Xander

I've looked at his stuff before. To me all his photos of individuals looks like they're upset with him for taking the photo. Not really the look I'd wanna go for.

I've looked at his stuff before. To me all his photos of individuals looks like they're upset with him for taking the photo. Not really the look I'd wanna go for.

I've noticed that with a majority of his work, as well. He does have some good stuff though. Although, growing up in a big city I have noticed that a lot of people have that look naturally! Some people just don't want to be looked at, lol!

-Xander

Top Bottom