What's new

Photo of the Day

From my walk in the arboretum of the botanical garden last Sunday, including a tulip tree from North America.

Attachments

• P1050085.JPG
    P1050085.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • P1050088.JPG
    P1050088.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 2
  • P1050089.JPG
    P1050089.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 2

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
From my walk in the arboretum of the botanical garden last Sunday, including a tulip tree from North America.
The Tulip Tree! One of my favorites. I planted 3 about 25 years ago: one near my woods, one about 70 feet from my backdoor, and one very close to my seepage bed. THAT one is huge. It's even survived a lightening strike!

FarmerTan

@Gauthier : I shall endeavor to go take pictures of each tree ASAP. LOL, it's 50 degrees Fahrenheit outside and dropping and I just started a small fire in my woodstove. Brought the temperature up from 64 to 74, with some really pithy, almost Balsa wood!

@Gauthier : I shall endeavor to go take pictures of each tree ASAP. LOL, it's 50 degrees Fahrenheit outside and dropping and I just started a small fire in my woodstove. Brought the temperature up from 64 to 74, with some really pithy, almost Balsa wood!
I am so not looking forward to cold weather. Not only don’t like it, my arthritis really doesn’t like it.

FarmerTan

I am so not looking forward to cold weather. Not only don’t like it, my arthritis really doesn’t like it.
Ugh. I hear you my friend. Blessedly my arthritis pain is bearable 90% of the time, my wife is just the opposite. She is tougher than anyone I know. She MIGHT feel pain free 10% of the time.

Now you know why I call her the War Department: built like a tank and just keeps coming!

Oops, her build is a compliment. Low center of gravity and nearly impossible to topple!

As it appears I've dug myself a hole, I will now see if I can post the pics I just took of my Tulip trees! Excellent "grey" day here in Michigan for photos.

Back to arthritis: this is one of the reasons we heat with wood: can you think of anything that warms you to the bone like standing next to your woodstove?

FarmerTan

This is the Tulip tree that is just barely at the beginning of my woods; it got very little sunlight when it was young, and for a few years the bucks would rub their antlers on it during rut. Nearly destroyed it two years in a row about 15 years ago:
IMG_20201015_133646751.jpg

Do you see the scar above my cane?

Is it just my ancient eyes, or is the lens a little soft?
They were all taken wide open, so it would sharpen up a bit if stopped down. I was actually surprised it's as sharp as it is and the chromatic aberration isn't worse. Most vintage lenses I've tried really need to be stopped down at least a click or two. I left it wide open to keep the Bokeh balls round.

FarmerTan

IMG_20201017_194057926.jpg
Really ABSOLUTELY nothing special here, except I had to show off my two partners in crime! I basically stole this wood. A very good friend, easily 10x smarter than me, and his son, 2x smarter than he is, called and said they had just cut up a red oak tree. 30 seconds later, after dark, they pulled in my drive! Just over 2 face cords. Very green, so I'll be using it next winter. I have no idea why I am so blessed, but had to show you my 2 guard cats making sure they don't change their minds!

I'm always amazed that my friends are so MUCH smarter than I yet enjoy my company and do so MUCH for me. I really am "George Bailey" lol!

Top Bottom