What's new

Photo of the Day

I used to have a Minolta Dimage Film Scanner and loved it. But, the tower unit I was using finally died and Ireplaced it with a laptop, not thinking that it would not have a SCSII interface. So, I gave away the film scanner and have been looking for a replacement.

Have you ever used a film duplicator that uses a film holder and tubes on your DSLR so you just shoot photos of the film?
I don’t have a proper macro setup or extension tubes so I haven tried the digital camera method. There are some promising rigs out there that automate the process but pricey. Lots of people doing that with simple rigs.

The place I used to work had some really high end scanners that couldn’t be used because they were SCSI. Fortunately mine are USB and work well with the Vuescan software. I don’t think the manufacturer’s software works on the latest OS.

Tough to beat a good canolo ......
canolo.jpg

I don’t have a proper macro setup or extension tubes so I haven tried the digital camera method. There are some promising rigs out there that automate the process but pricey. Lots of people doing that with simple rigs.

The place I used to work had some really high end scanners that couldn’t be used because they were SCSI. Fortunately mine are USB and work well with the Vuescan software. I don’t think the manufacturer’s software works on the latest OS.
I’m still looking. The macro process is rather uncertain. The good duplicators have been discontinued, so I suspect they weren’t so good. I have a bellows that I can connect to my 80D, so I think I’m going to try that and use my iPad with a white diffuser over the screen to see what I can get. I may end up just building a rig where I can set the slides or a negative holder with negatives. The USB scanners seem so slow to me, I really don’t want to go that direction. I have several thousand slides and negatives and I’m too old to complete the process that way.

What do you use for a scanner?

re scanners, fwiw, i'm using the desktop epson v850, works great. easy. good, stable software. nice files.
film trays/guides work well for up to 4x5.

in past, i've used minolta's med format scanner; nikon dedicated 35mm scanner; epson 1600 series. slow; usable but not fabulous files.

current crop of these epsons beat results of those handily. maybe the newer processors, sensors, step motors, whatever.

I’m still looking. The macro process is rather uncertain. The good duplicators have been discontinued, so I suspect they weren’t so good. I have a bellows that I can connect to my 80D, so I think I’m going to try that and use my iPad with a white diffuser over the screen to see what I can get. I may end up just building a rig where I can set the slides or a negative holder with negatives. The USB scanners seem so slow to me, I really don’t want to go that direction. I have several thousand slides and negatives and I’m too old to complete the process that way.
Yes indeed the USB scanners do take some time. I’m only now getting caught up on curren work because I’m spending a lot more time at home. I’m Still putting off digging into the deep archives.

re scanners, fwiw, i'm using the desktop epson v850, works great. easy. good, stable software. nice files.
film trays/guides work well for up to 4x5.

in past, i've used minolta's med format scanner; nikon dedicated 35mm scanner; epson 1600 series. slow; usable but not fabulous files.

current crop of these epsons beat results of those handily. maybe the newer processors, sensors, step motors, whatever.
Nice to know that they have improved the newer Epson flatbeds. My V500 doesn’t make the sharpest files. How is 35mm film flatness with the 850?

Nice to know that they have improved the newer Epson flatbeds. My V500 doesn’t make the sharpest files. How is 35mm film flatness with the 850?

for strip 35mm film, great flatness. frames are improved, sturdier, have a clear plastic film cover plus some sort of height or focus adjustment, which, tbh, i've never used.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
A few nights back we had a series of strong storms roll through central Oklahoma. I took this image after noticing some lightning in the distance west of my house. The photo doesn't do how intense the lighting was. I had never seen lighting like this before. The best way for me to explain fully its intensity was that it was similar to the Aurora Borealis. The light would sheet through the clouds and be iridescent. It was such a fun storm to see......from a distance of course :wink2:.

DM Photography2.jpg

Top Bottom