What's new

Photo of the Day

wrapping up the week.
miserable weather but that made for lots of interesting backgrounds for the birds.

proxy.php
Wow, I have to get a 500mm soon!!!! lol

Excellent, I was never lucky to have birds so close when carrying my 70-200mm. Hope some day could go to that place.

disclosure, most of our shots were (a) from a boat and (b) were baited, as are most published eagle and owl photos.
also, the birds in homer, ak are habituated to being around people.
slightly similar to haines, alaska.
in most instances if you try to approach a bird on foot, unless they are on a nest, they will fly off when human is within 20 yards.
and ethics say never approach a nesting bird closer than 20 yards.

disclosure, most of our shots were (a) from a boat and (b) were baited, as are most published eagle and owl photos.
in most instances if you try to approach a bird on foot, unless they are on a nest, they will fly off when human is within 20 yards.
I was wondering about that. The last two summers I've gone out with co-worker out to watch a Red Kite that was nesting and hunting wood pigeons near his house. If it caught the slightest movement of you lifting you binoculars it would veer off in the opposite direction.

I was wondering about that. The last two summers I've gone out with co-worker out to watch a Red Kite that was nesting and hunting wood pigeons near his house. If it caught the slightest movement of you lifting you binoculars it would veer off in the opposite direction.

they're pretty savvy regarding humans and predators.
if you're watching from a vehicle, they are often tolerant.
but just open the door, goodbye!

Great. Thanks for the disclosure.

they're pretty savvy regarding humans and predators.
if you're watching from a vehicle, they are often tolerant.
but just open the door, goodbye!

They're up near the top of the chain for a reason. I knew some species were very intelligent but it wasn't until my co-worker convinced me to join him bird watching that I realized how so. People don't give pigeons enough credit because they're used to the city birds, but I've seen country pigeons try to trick hawks into dive-bombing moving cars during chases

Top Bottom