What's new

Photo of the Day

here's a, well, failed star trails attempt in the palouse earlier this month...

proxy.php

Cool shot! The stars must have been on a slow internet connection that night. Looks like they had to keep stopping to buffer. :laugh:

2 secs between 30 sec frames results in the gaps
There is software that can fix it, but that wasn’t main problem
I really needed much wider lens since North Star is so much farther overhead in that latitude! And I wanted to have the peak as a foreground item. Oh well!

Here's the driveway view again of the same cherry tree from 1997.
It's a picture of a picture,
so there is a reflection from a window at the top.

View attachment 1277175

The electric company just sent out notices concerning trimming trees
near power lines, so this might be the last year that the tree looks this good.

It was nice to walk on the sidewalk under the tree.

DSCN1178b.jpg

From across the street again.

DSCN1177b.jpg

@TexOkie Shaver
You just have to ask really nice. :wink2:
He was a pretty patient model. He jumped a few times, but wasn't too close to water so that made it easier. I just approached slowly. I think they are pretty confident in their camouflage and jumping ability if needed. If you go slow enough and don't seem too threatening they just sit still even when you're eventually only a few inches away the flash doesn't seem to bother them either.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Male eastern amberwing. These are fairly small dragonflies, 3/4 to an inch long and 1 1/2 - 2 inch wingspan. They are a wasp mimic. Not only do they have the striped abdomen, but they will wiggle their bodies and flap their wings like a wasp. They will also fly low to the ground more like a wasp than a dragonfly.
Also. Does anyone else see a face with a tongue sticking out in the back muscles?
View attachment 1287326
Yes, I see it! Kinda creepy my friend!

this tuesday morning's clouds as TS Elsa approaches the FL keys, about 200 mile to the SW.
about 82F, mild SE breeze 14 mph.
view to the north...

proxy.php

view to the south...

proxy.php

Reactions: shm
Top Bottom