What's new

Photo of the Day

Seen this morning on going out.

P1050603.JPG

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Here is an old photo that my Mom gave me:
IMG_20210201_221844927.jpg

It's of the rainbow that is barely detectable. Probably taken in '70 or '72 sometime or another. I remember seeing it and running to get my Mom and she took the pic. Maybe with her old "Brownie?"

Today I messed with it in my Moto Tracfone.....
IMG_20210201_221923422~4.jpg

My folks lived on that property across from this house that they built in the late fifties. Notice the sweet corn growing all the way up to the road! My driveway was dirt/gravel back then. As a matter of fact, if that road is gravel it's pre-1970 then. Hard to tell.

Those pine trees are still there, but maybe twice as tall?

Sorry for the ramblings my friends! Talk about a stroll down memory lane! Just one of the advantages of never leaving home I suppose, lol.

FarmerTan

thx! the cypress swamp is magical!
It doesn't hurt that you have an incredible eye for composition my friend.

It used to bug me when digital cameras came out and made people that didn't know an F-stop from their elbow into instant "Photographers".... Then I realized they still had NO talent for setting up a portrait, framing a subject, etc....

Now I'm only a little angry over the fact that editing on one's phone makes one look like a pro, since I am the one that profits by it so much! I become a regular genius now without spending any money on developing!

Last edited:
It doesn't hurt that you have an incredible eye for composition my friend.

It used to bug me when digital cameras came out and made people that didn't know an F-stop from their elbow into instant "Photographers".... Then I realized they still had NO talent for setting up a portrait, framing a subject, etc....

Now I'm only a little angry over the fact that editing on one's phone makes one look like a pro, since I am the one that profits by it so much! I become a regular genius now without spending any money on developing!

indeed, the cell phones and apps are tremendous photo tools!

re your old picture, I thought Brownies made square prints. Your pic isn’t square.

Here is an old photo that my Mom gave me:View attachment 1217266
It's of the rainbow that is barely detectable. Probably taken in '70 or '72 sometime or another. I remember seeing it and running to get my Mom and she took the pic. Maybe with her old "Brownie?"

Today I messed with it in my Moto Tracfone.....
View attachment 1217267
My folks lived on that property across from this house that they built in the late fifties. Notice the sweet corn growing all the way up to the road! My driveway was dirt/gravel back then. As a matter of fact, if that road is gravel it's pre-1970 then. Hard to tell.

Those pine trees are still there, but maybe twice as tall?

Sorry for the ramblings my friends! Talk about a stroll down memory lane! Just one of the advantages of never leaving home I suppose, lol.
Those old photos bring back wonderful memories! We should all print our best photos but few of us do. Good job of bringing back some of the color.

there were square and rectangular format Brownies. Regular Instamatics shot square pictures. Pocket Instamatics were rectangular but those came out in ‘72. Folders were popular through the 50s. Many of those took rectangular photos.

FarmerTan

indeed, the cell phones and apps are tremendous photo tools!

re your old picture, I thought Brownies made square prints. Your pic isn’t square.
I'm nearly certain that mom's only shot square, so I have no idea what she shot this with. Something cheap I can state with a fair amount of certainty!

I think her Brownie was from the early fifties, if that narrows it down.

FarmerTan

Those old photos bring back wonderful memories! We should all print our best photos but few of us do. Good job of bringing back some of the color.

there were square and rectangular format Brownies. Regular Instamatics shot square pictures. Pocket Instamatics were rectangular but those came out in ‘72. Folders were popular through the 50s. Many of those took rectangular photos.
Her Brownie was literally cube shaped if that helps. It seems like I remember a LOT of square photos around growing up, MOSTLY B&W.

FarmerTan

but she took that one in color!
Lol, this was around the early 70's, but all my REALLY young photo ops were in B&W!

Not entirely true.....as I'm sure there is one of me and my older siblings in around 1964 Christmas in color, of me in a red wagon in front of the tree. (With my older siblings undoubtedly dreaming of piling pillows on top of me. Believe it or not, I wasn't ALWAYS this charming!)

Top Bottom