What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'll be keeping an eye out for their WR4 AC razor head. The Wolfman website suggests it might be ready for sale sometime in May. I don't plan on being one of the first people to try one, but I certainly look forward to the reviews when they start coming out.

Once I’m settled and I have a shipping address I’m thinking about getting a WR3. Partly because I’ve never used a GEM format razor before and it sounds interesting, and partly because by now we are starting to get a decent number of reviews to help me judge what gaps would suit me (thanks especially to @Fedsbackhand reviews and comparisons). Also I’ve got used to the look of it and the massive head doesn’t put me off anymore - in fact I think it seems to fit the straight razor-esque idea of ultra-shallow shaving with a heavy blade.

I guess with Wolfmans I’m always a few years behind the curve. Right now the WR3 GEM razor interests me more than the WR4 because it’s different. In a year or two I’ll want a WR4 I’m sure, but for now I have plenty of AC SE razors and another one doesn’t grab my attention so much. But I’ll be interested to see what James comes up with.

Blackland are said to be developing multiple new razors, and Shane said the Blackbird Lite wasn’t one of them. It sounds like there’ll be at least one that is something quite new and different. These things don’t happen overnight, so who knows when we’ll see something. I’ve long conjectured that Shane might be the guy to resurrect the Janus adjustable (toggle and butterfly style) - like he resurrected the Tradere - but that’s purely my own speculation or wishful thinking, so don’t start any rumours because of me.

I think that’s somewhat similar to the Rolls Razor. Haven’t used it yet, but it shares shaving characteristics with the GEM family other than being a non disposable blade.

So GEMs come in gap sizes too? Learned something new today. Thanks!

Guido
The Wolfman WR3 comes in gaps from 0.40mm to 0.70mm, I think (there may be more), and with solid bar or open comb. I’m thinking of either 0.40 or 0.50 with solid bar.

I’m not aware of other GEM razors available in custom gaps.

I got a vintage GEM, just to try the format. But if I was going to spend real money, I'd look at the Blackland Sabre. Have you taken a peek at that, @Mr. Shavington?

I too am excited to hear what Shane has in store for us. He said there will be two new razor platforms, in addition to offering them in different finishes/metals.
I’m aware of the Blackland Sabre but I would much prefer the looks and quality of the Wolfman.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a lovely GEM razor @spacemonkey42 PIF'd me the other day. I haven't used it yet but it's on the list.

On a separate note, I had a lovely shave with my Blutt BR-1 1.20 earlier this morning.... I'm a bit embarrassed to admit, I had 7 days of growth to tackle but the Blutt was up to the challenge. I used a Wizamet in it today and just like the few other blade models I have, it was excellent.... The shave was my normal now... relaxing, smooth, comfortable yet close.

It's been nice to have 5 razors I can use on a whim and get the same results, yet each is unique enough, each shave is just that little bit different to keep things entertaining. ;)

I have a lovely GEM razor @spacemonkey42 PIF'd me the other day. I haven't used it yet but it's on the list.

On a separate note, I had a lovely shave with my Blutt BR-1 1.20 earlier this morning.... I'm a bit embarrassed to admit, I had 7 days of growth to tackle but the Blutt was up to the challenge. I used a Wizamet in it today and just like the few other blade models I have, it was excellent.... The shave was my normal now... relaxing, smooth, comfortable yet close.

It's been nice to have 5 razors I can use on a whim and get the same results, yet each is unique enough, each shave is just that little bit different to keep things entertaining. ;)
You should have asked Tara whether the WR2 0.95 is suitable for shaving the 83 days growth you have since you ordered it.

It is, by the way. 😁

I was always curious about GEM razors because of the different blade format. So I tried it out "on the cheap"
by purchasing a New old stock GEM Featherweight. I purchased it last year! And I bought the well regarded GEM Personna blades. Unfortunately I never got a good shave from it. It always seemed like a rough shave and that's despite the supposed mildness of my particular razor. The Sabre looks really cool but how many options exist regarding blades?
As far as I've seen, only a couple options exist (and they're pretty expensive as compared to DE). That makes me afraid of buying a razor that can possibly become obsolete whenever the blades disappear.
Anyone else have that concern?

Well that was a bunch of nothing! Sorry to be so direct, but he could have given some idea considering there are... half dozen of us anyway that would be interested in a theoretical L3 Sabre. I actually wanted a Sabre a couple years ago, but the fact that it's milder than a GEM Micromatic is a hard no. I almost bought an L2 several times, but others have confirmed that I would be disappointed. Luckily the Blackbird is perfect for me so I can easily wait and see what he comes up with... plus the new razors.

Aaron, I'm also glad you chimed in. I grew up on what I affectionately call "white trash" food.. My mother was a horrible cook and we were poor. We at a lot of casseroles.... and Kraft Mac & Cheese. I still love that stuff... and it just packs the pounds on. Things weren't running smoothly in our household and food was a coping device.. there's a reason they call it "comfort food".

Like @Raven Koenes stated, we have to be cognizant of what goes into our mouth... Aaron you mentioned this too. Over this past year, when we have been invited to a party, I always bring along my own healthy snacks.... I know, if I get started on the cheese and crackers, I'll be in deep yogurt. I keep things in the car, in a small cooler and sort of sneak them in if there is nothing I can eat safely. As long as I don't trumpet my weight loss so a heavier person feels offended, things are usually OK. I know if I'm around a heavy person, my weight loss will bother them some and I make sure to avoid the topic. I try to stay under the radar but won't be pressured into eating the stuff I know will bother me later, both mentally and physically. If I'm pressed, I say..... my doctor told me I had to lose weight to battle my arthritis. That seems to lessen the blow and makes it acceptable.
I will say, as someone who has been up and down hundreds of pounds in the last 10-15 years, some for competition, most for desire, I’m never offended at someone’s weight loss success. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have had to learn the hard way how not to take off myself through bad nutrition. I made it to the IC unit in one weekend. When I got out I made myself the vow to never let that happen again.

I followed the dietary guidelines of Harvey Diamond for a number of years, but that did not build stamina in the long term. I am more relaxed now. I eat fruits and lots of them except kiwis. They give me colds, which is the weirdest thing and I only found out a couple of years ago.

I am more balanced now, but need to maintain my endurance which is more challenging for me given I am a martial artist and therefore have more explosive condition than endurance condition.

What helped me/us in more recent periods is cut back on bread intake and consume granola for breakfast and watch the amount of added sugar / refined sugar in products (which is alarmingly abundant).

Guido

Last night I got out my WR2 0.95 for a shave in your honour, Kim. Yes, I did bring it with me in the end, all carefully bubble-wrapped in its Wolfman box. It was a very nice shave, as it has been every time I’ve used it. Nice and smooth and efficient. Elegant, with just the right blade feel. I am sure you will like yours.

4A312AF1-88CF-43A8-AFA6-521E43D05EC7.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Last night I got out my WR2 0.95 for a shave in your honour, Kim. Yes, I did bring it with me in the end, all carefully bubble-wrapped in its Wolfman box. It was a very nice shave, as it has been every time I’ve used it. Nice and smooth and efficient. Elegant, with just the right blade feel. I am sure you will like yours.

View attachment 1619884
That is such a beautiful razor and stand....

I'm counting down the hours now..... The tracking is still showing delivery tomorrow.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
UPS delivered as promised and I just finished shaving with my new Wolfman WR2-SB .95... with the Darwin handle in Bronze.

First of all. the fit and finish of this Wolfman is flawless. This is their "basic polish-textured" finish. OK.. I guess James could do a super polish but my, oh, my... this thing is mirror polish perfect.

I used my basic additional stuff. Today was the rotation for the Elite Razor Blood Basin Jasper handle Manchurian brush. It's the softest badger I have. It isn't floppy... just soft. I actually enjoyed it today instead of comparing it to my SV 2.0 or Zenith Manchurians. Grooming Dept pre-shave... and the PAA Cube 2.0 in the shower. Canada Shaving soap...

The shave itself? I used a Wizamet Super Iridium (1) today as has been my practice with a new razor. Any fear the Wolfman would struggle to make it onto my Top 6 razor list dissipated on the very first WTG stroke. Is it better than anything I own? I'm glad I can't say that. It is certainly the equal of any thing I've ever used... it was a lovely, relaxing, smooth, comfortable yet close shave. The thing I continue to notice with all my top razors.... no learning curve to speak of. I adjust the angle with each razor until I hit that sweet spot. It was effortless with the Wolfman. The other concern was the blade gap because James offers a variety because of customer requests. The .95 is the standard for the WR2 and for me... it is perfect. I never felt like I needed more efficiency. I would say, based on sort of casual observation and first use... I ended up on the steep side of neutral... a notch or two from dead neutral.

Great first shave.... and the Wolman did make me glad I had taken the chance and sold off so many razors and brushes to fund it's purchase.

The second handle, the WRH3/7, is shown both with the Wolman head mounted on it......... as well as the Athena razor head. I think this hollow, lighter handle will be a plus for the Athena.... time will tell on that one.

Photos:

RE_Wolfman_Darwin;jpg.jpg

RE_Wolfman_3.7.jpg

RE_Athena_WRH3_7.jpg

Edit: Thank you, @Mr. Shavington . You did it again.... your purchase of this exact razor is what lead me to my first Wolfman. I say "first"... because, well, it's B&B, but mainly because I'll be watching to see how James approaches the AC format. I don't feel any need for a closer, more efficient WR2 shave. The .95 is wonderful for my face and whiskers. I didn't shave yesterday in anticipation of the Wolfman showing up today... so three days growth gone like it was nothing.

UPS delivered as promised and I just finished shaving with my new Wolfman WR2-SB .95... with the Darwin handle in Bronze.

First of all. the fit and finish of this Wolfman is flawless. This is their "basic polish-textured" finish. OK.. I guess James could do a super polish but my, oh, my... this thing is mirror polish perfect.

I used my basic additional stuff. Today was the rotation for the Elite Razor Blood Basin Jasper handle Manchurian brush. It's the softest badger I have. It isn't floppy... just soft. I actually enjoyed it today instead of comparing it to my SV 2.0 or Zenith Manchurians. Grooming Dept pre-shave... and the PAA Cube 2.0 in the shower. Canada Shaving soap...

The shave itself? I used a Wizamet Super Iridium (1) today as has been my practice with a new razor. Any fear the Wolfman would struggle to make it onto my Top 6 razor list dissipated on the very first WTG stroke. Is it better than anything I own? I'm glad I can't say that. It is certainly the equal of any thing I've ever used... it was a lovely, relaxing, smooth, comfortable yet close shave. The thing I continue to notice with all my top razors.... no learning curve to speak of. I adjust the angle with each razor until I hit that sweet spot. It was effortless with the Wolfman. The other concern was the blade gap because James offers a variety because of customer requests. The .95 is the standard for the WR2 and for me... it is perfect. I never felt like I needed more efficiency. I would say, based on sort of casual observation and first use... I ended up on the steep side of neutral... a notch or two from dead neutral.

Great first shave.... and the Wolman did make me glad I had taken the chance and sold off so many razors and brushes to fund it's purchase.

The second handle, the WRH3/7, is shown both with the Wolman head mounted on it......... as well as the Athena razor head. I think this hollow, lighter handle will be a plus for the Athena.... time will tell on that one.

Photos:

View attachment 1620624

View attachment 1620625

View attachment 1620626

Edit: Thank you, @Mr. Shavington . You did it again.... your purchase of this exact razor is what lead me to my first Wolfman. I say "first"... because, well, it's B&B, but mainly because I'll be watching to see how James approaches the AC format. I don't feel any need for a closer, more efficient WR2 shave. The .95 is wonderful for my face and whiskers. I didn't shave yesterday in anticipation of the Wolfman showing up today... so three days growth gone like it was nothing.
Seems like you avoided shaving this weekend so that you could use the WR2 the minute you opened the box?

It’s great to hear you like it so much and it is everything you hoped for. It’s damn efficient and I really wonder why people demanded more and more gap over the years. Glad they did, though, because by chance the 1.55 is a miraculous razor too. Completely different razor from the 0.95, but an effortlessly efficient and very comfortable shaver. You could consider it some day - as a natural steep shaver I think you’d like it too.

Enjoy your WR2 0.95. It’s the top of the tree. But, as you rightly point out, you’re fortunate to have others that are equally satisfying and refined. All different, but all outstanding.

Top Bottom