What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, I was tempted due to the handle shape... but I didn't like any of the patterns... according to the Italian SV website, they only made 28 of those... so it's very cool that you got one.

I shopped for a good number. All the patterns seemed okay to me.

Some other version of this with a handle you like will come around in a few years I'd guess.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I shopped for a good number. All the patterns seemed okay to me.

Some other version of this with a handle you like will come around in a few years I'd guess.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, That's my guess. We'll eventually see these limited editions run every year, in a different wood. The one I saw previously posted here was in Olive wood. I'll snatch one of those in a coming year. As you can see from my razor purchases, I've spent enough money for this calendar year. I think I should be able to restrain myself for the next two weeks..

Of course, @BradWorld is about to post his Wolfman 1.15SB and his 1.55SB in the next couple days if he hasn't already sold them. But I'll hold off on a Wolfman for a while. Usually when I post something like that, my PayPal gets used within the next 12 hours. LOL

Sorry, gentlemen, I twice absolutely missed the published information on the knot size. Having it be 30 mm is a major bonus particularly when coupled with the cool handle.

I was in a hurry. That's my only excuse, but thanks, Mr. Shavington, for posting the knot size.

Interesting information on the Manchuria origin. I believe the 2.0 brushes have the same hair. I suppose I'll know for sure when I've used the new brush for awhile. It's supposed to be here before Christmas. Even though it's a boar month, there's always the Christmas present from myself exception.

I've always thought this would be a cool handle shape.

Long time ago - it seems like a long time - I thought the 2.0 knots were on the small size. David @never-stop-learning had written something about a larger knot size, like 30 mm, I think, and I was able to find evidence SV had indeed made brushes in the 30 mm size with this handle shape, but this is the first time I've seen one offered for sale anywhere.

Turns out the 2.0 knots are far from small.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I don’t know exactly what a 30mm SV brush will be like, but I will bet it does not feel bigger than your 28mm Mozingo. First of all, bulbs feel smaller than fans and they don’t bloom as much, and secondly the Mozingo is much denser (at least mine is) so while the diameter coming out of the handle is less, I bet the Mozingo is larger on your face.

I suspect this brush will feel a bit more luxurious compared to the 2.0, and I think it will be a nice and very usable size. I love the handle designs and I look forward so seeing you post your impressions of this rather rare item.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don’t know exactly what a 30mm SV brush will be like, but I will bet it does not feel bigger than your 28mm Mozingo. First of all, bulbs feel smaller than fans and they don’t bloom as much, and secondly the Mozingo is much denser (at least mine is) so while the diameter coming out of the handle is less, I bet the Mozingo is larger on your face.

I suspect this brush will feel a bit more luxurious compared to the 2.0, and I think it will be a nice and very usable size. I love the handle designs and I look forward so seeing you post your impressions of this rather rare item.

It'll be interesting.

I have some knots with nominal sizes of 30 mm. They vary a lot.

I don't experience my Mozingo as especially dense, but it isn't skimpy or anything close to skimpy, and it is incredibly large. I like it very much indeed so...

I'm considering a second Mozingo with a 26 mm knot. There is a handle in transit from a famous artisan handle maker which I will likely use for that purpose assuming it suits me when the naked handle arrives. I do not have in mind a 24 mm naked handle, but I'm on the lookout for one suitable for the purpose, and might put a 24 mm Mozingo into it.

My guess: A 24 mg Mozingo knot might be huge, too.

(Generally I think of 24 mg knots as acceptable but smallish.)

Just musing. Also I already have a thread soliciting advice on naked handles for these purposes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, gentlemen, I twice absolutely missed the published information on the knot size. Having it be 30 mm is a major bonus particularly when coupled with the cool handle.

I was in a hurry. That's my only excuse, but thanks, Mr. Shavington, for posting the knot size.

Interesting information on the Manchuria origin. I believe the 2.0 brushes have the same hair. I suppose I'll know for sure when I've used the new brush for awhile. It's supposed to be here before Christmas. Even though it's a boar month, there's always the Christmas present from myself exception.

I've always thought this would be a cool handle shape.

Long time ago - it seems like a long time - I thought the 2.0 knots were on the small size. David @never-stop-learning had written something about a larger knot size, like 30 mm, I think, and I was able to find evidence SV had indeed made brushes in the 30 mm size with this handle shape, but this is the first time I've seen one offered for sale anywhere.

Turns out the 2.0 knots are far from small.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Here you go..... :)
20220707_174426~2.jpg
20220707_174604~2.jpg

Saponificio Varesino Custom LE, Golden Pewter Crown, Olive Wood Handle, Hand-tied 30mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Here you go..... :)
View attachment 1572359View attachment 1572358
Saponificio Varesino Custom LE, Golden Pewter Crown, Olive Wood Handle, Hand-tied 30mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot.

So that one has the same handle shape as the 2.0. Interesting. Do you remember how it was named and marketed? Maybe you're saying it was marketed as a "Custom LE?"

In any case, it is a very lovely handle and brush. Beautiful olivewood.

If I recall correctly you have a smaller (2.0?) SV brush, too. What differences do you notice between the two brushes?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So that one has the same handle shape as the 2.0. Interesting. Do you remember how it was named and marketed? Maybe you're saying it was marketed as a "Custom LE?"

In any case, it is a very lovely handle and brush. Beautiful olivewood.

If I recall correctly you have a smaller (2.0?) SV brush, too. What differences do you notice between the two brushes?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
I'll take a picture of the card that came with the brush. I'm pretty sure that SV describes it as I list it in my shaves.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I started my Lupo testing this evening. I did it pretty late at night so I'd have a good idea how long these shaves will last into tomorrow morning.

I kept most everything the same, though I'm still rotating out 4 boar brushes for DecemBOAR month. This evening it was the Omega Jade Premium brush from Connaught in the UK. I really want to like this brush. It seems smallish to me, probably because the other brushes I'm using are Zenith brushes. The Zeniths feel a bit denser, quite a bit softer with less scritch off the bat. I'm sure the Jade will be softer when it breaks in a bit more.

Still using Canada Shaving Soap, same pre-shave routine to limit the variables. I used new Wizamet blades in each razor... same Timeless Ti Crown handles: one matte, one polished.

I used the Lupo 72SB on the right side of my face and the 72OC on the left side. This is one shave so this isn't set in stone, obviously, but I enjoying both the 72 base plates. The 72SB was smooth and comfortable and had no problem getting rid of 2.5 days or so of stubble. Then I turned to the left with the 72OC. It was more similar than different... just half a step up in efficiency but it had a nicer glide. I have very little experience with an open comb razor having only used the Era L4OC one time... that's it, so bear that in mind, but I'm guessing an open comb has less surface tension than a safety bar in general. I have a couple bumps on the left side of my face, including one on my upper left lip. I had nicked them slightly with the Era so I was much more careful with the 72OC. Success... I didn't nick them, so that nice.

It's far too early for conclusions. I'll use them both again and switch sides next shave. I will say, based on what my face felt like when I put on the Metro gel, Hyaluronic Acid and Neutrogena Hydro Boost, the shave felt very smooth.. a nice, comfortable, clean shave. I'll know better in the morning, as I said above. I'm hoping for at least a 10 hour shave but who knows? Maybe I'll get 12 hours?

A gentle sigh of relief.... the Lupos are promising. I don't have a Game Changer, so I can't comment on them but the Lupos seem to punch beyond their weight class. I'm glad I made the purchase. I don't want to rush things, but I am looking forward to the 95SB and 95OC trials. If they are another half step or so more efficient as the 72's, I think I'll like very much.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Omega Jade from Connaught took quite a while to break in.

Compared to bleached Zenith boars it is a whole 'nother animal. It has been said that the Omega Jade is unbleached. I don't know that for a fact, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Jade.ProrasoPro.MightyMidget.3-20.640.JPG

All three of these Omega boars - the Jade, the Proraso Pro, and the Mighty Midget - seem unbleached to me. All three of mine were put through a lengthy offline break in process and still took a number of dry to wet to dry cycles. All three were absolutely worth the trouble as they are excellent knots.

I would also say they are at least as dense as my Zenith boars.

OTOH, brushes and knots from the same maker may sometimes vary over time. Case in point, I'm not sure my recently acquired Zenith unbleached boars have just the same knot as the Zenith unbleached boars I bought years ago. Both are good, but the newer ones are much easier to break in. Why? I don't know.

I will enjoy your Lupo experiments, Kim.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Not long after I bought my Jade boar, a thread was started here about how the last batch of Connaught Jades might be different than before. The OP said he had previous Jades that felt more dense. He corresponded with Connaught and they said, the diameter of the knot was the same but the thickness of each bristle vary from batch to batch so there is some product variation.

My Jade doesn't feel dense at all. I know it's isn't fully broken in.... but you can tell the density a brush immediately when you use it. You can also feel a dry brush and compare the density compared to another one, side by side. When I first got the Jade, I compared it in its new and dry condition with some of my other boars.... It felt less dense and less soft than any of my Zenith brushes.... about equal with my 10108 Omega and about the same density as the SOC boars too. It isn't that it is horrible. I just can't figure out why it gets so much good press here. The Zeniths are far superior... at least the 4 Zeniths I have.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
An update on my Lupo shave last evening. I got up around 8AM... so 10 hours.. my face was still smooth. I had an appointment with my PT from 9 until 10... On my way home, I remembered to check out my face for whisker feel. I could feel them on both sides of my face. I couldn't tell the difference between the 72OC and SB sides. I still think I'll switch them around next shave and see if I get similar results. Any, it looks like on one shave, I'm getting over 10 hours for sure... and close to 12. It was over 12 hours when I checked my face.. so somewhere between 10 and 12 hours.. not bad for a $70 razor.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Second shave with the Lupo 72SB and OC. Today, I shaved my right side with the OC, left with the SB and that switched up my preferences. I liked the SB better today. I am guessing but I think that's because I approach shaving the left side of my face in a different manner because I'm shaving both sides with my right hand.

The next shave will be with one of the two. At the moment, I'm leaning toward using the Safety Bar base plate...that should be the least efficient of the two, but based on just two shaves, I don't think I can tell the difference in the final outcome. The OC feels more efficient, but both sides feel equally smooth and on the first shave with them, my whiskers seemed to show up at the same 11 hour mark, give or take.

I did have 4 days stubble on the first shave... and only 2 days today.... so perhaps the OC glided better with the additional two days of whisker growth.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I short circuited my Lupo trials for a shave with the Green Cult 2.0 (still seems like an odd name for a razor to me) a few minutes ago.

Pre-shave: Just the remnants I salvaged from a PAA Tube 2.0 that was at the bottom of their screw up container. There was
around 3/8" of pre-shave in there. I scooped it out and added a bit of filtered water in an empty soap tub, it's a nice gel at the moment.
Bowl: Timeless Modest Blue... It doesn't look like much but man, does it assist getting the lather just right.
Soap: Canada Shaving Soap (it's unscented)
Razor: Green Cult 2.0 with a #2 level plate
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Post-shave: Metro Gel, Hyaluronic Acid, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream

First impressions: a very nice, smooth yet close shave. I think I'd be hard pressed to differentiate it from the Blutt BR-1 1.20, but that's just after one shave. It sure was a nice shave. I suspect the GC 2.0 will join my other top 4 razors... to a nice prime number, i.e., 5. <eg>

I did switch the handle out to my favorite: the Timeless Ti Crown after I had finished my first WTG pass. A few strokes and I re-installed the OEM handle. With the lighter titanium handle, the head felt too heavy and the balance was off. Together as it was designed, the razor is beautifully balanced and feels hmmmmm almost light in my hand, even though it's heavier. That doesn't make much sense but the closest I can some is an illustration that will make sense to some people more than others, I fear. I have a Belknap "Kentucky Bluegrass" hammer in both 16 and 20 ounces (Octagon wood handles). They feel light in the hand because the balance is the best I've ever felt, personally. This razor has that same feel. I like the way this handle feels in my hand as well. For me, it has just the right amount of grip. I didn't have to hunt around for "right" hold. I can move my fingers as I shave to whatever position is comfortable without giving it any thought. It's natural, again, for me.

I have to thank @LRod for suggesting this razor. I'm sure others have been singing its praises but it was Larry's review of it that lead me to hit the "buy now" link. I'm so glad I did. Thanks again, Larry.

I was going to return to my Lupo trials but this razor needs some more attention. I will probably use it another time with the Wizamet and then try a USA Personna Labs "Blue" and see how that goes. I also have the Level 3 base plate. I'm not sure I'll need it. It is efficient enough for me right now. I will try out the larger gap, of course, but I'd be completely happy with the Level 2. All in all, a smooth, comfortable, no drama, close shave. All my problem areas are as smooth as silk.

Wow, it’s not like you, Kim to talk top-five on your first shave. It must really have impressed you.

I looked at the Greencult website once and it mostly sells pan scrubbers made from llama pubes, and stuff like that. I guess it will save the planet, so that’s nice. It just seemed like an odd bunch of people to be selling a razor. But if it’s good, it’s good. I’m gonna email them and ask if they can do a custom whalebone handle for me to give it a bit more visual pep.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Wow, it’s not like you, Kim to talk top-five on your first shave. It must really have impressed you.

I looked at the Greencult website once and it mostly sells pan scrubbers made from llama pubes, and stuff like that. I guess it will save the planet, so that’s nice. It just seemed like an odd bunch of people to be selling a razor. But if it’s good, it’s good. I’m gonna email them and ask if they can do a custom whalebone handle for me to give it a bit more visual pep.
I think the rhino handles are more elite.

When I first heard about Greencult, the first thing that threw me off was the name. I thought it was strange. And then I saw the first razor (version 1.1) and thought the razor was weird. But when the 2.0 came around it piqued my interest and I had to get over the name. Well, I liked it so much that I went and bought a spare one and a total of 3 base plates. And I also bought the older version 1.1 razor. I think if they'd change the name it would have more interest!
They're more than good!
The quality is outstanding!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When I first heard about Greencult, the first thing that threw me off was the name. I thought it was strange. And then I saw the first razor (version 1.1) and thought the razor was weird. But when the 2.0 came around it piqued my interest and I had to get over the name. Well, I liked it so much that I went and bought a spare one and a total of 3 base plates. And I also bought the older version 1.1 razor. I think if they'd change the name it would have more interest!
They're more than good!
The quality is outstanding!
It's quite a solid piece of kit. It just feels right. As you mentioned a while ago, the handle screws in so nicely. I do agree, with a simple name change, they'd garner a lot more interest. Precision manufacturing at its finest... It's an easier design to manufacture than the Athena but they did an excellent job.

The only negative I could find was the packaging. The box was ok but like everyone else, mine was rattling around in their 3D printed plastic insert. Thankfully, it didn't mark up the razor but they really need to address that.

the first razor (version 1.1) and thought the razor was weird. But when th
Their first razor was the GC1.0 that actually had a Zamak head first until they went completely stainless steel. The 1.0 has a .95 gap as opposed to the .65 gap on the 1.1 The GC1.0 is now unobtanium and no longer sold. They all get raving review for their shaving capabilities.

To me personally, I find their choice of handles slightly offsetting.

Guido

Top Bottom