What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

Sorry to hear you’re in pain. Booze usually goes well with pills, I find, so you could try that. Just ask your wife first to hide any devices you could use for online shopping.

I can’t say I’m surprised you bought more razors. A man who just took up the sport and has 23 brushes is going to have 20 razors and 20 soaps soon enough. It’s a law of nature that men do this sort of thing, more so when they log onto forums like this, and you can’t control it. I respect you for trying, though.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Sorry to hear you’re in pain. Booze usually goes well with pills, I find, so you could try that. Just ask your wife first to hide any devices you could use for online shopping.

I can’t say I’m surprised you bought more razors. A man who just took up the sport and has 23 brushes is going to have 20 razors and 20 soaps soon enough. It’s a law of nature that men do this sort of thing, more so when they log onto forums like this, and you can’t control it. I respect you for trying, though.
LOL. The only thing I'm pretty sure I'm immune from is soaps. I don't like scents so the only driving force for soap purchases would be slickness and after shave skin feel. I have a great soon to be 4 soap rotation, though not regimented. I just pick one of 4... and I have 5 soaps in "reserve" that I haven't tried yet because I bought them before my forehead and cheeks started breaking out.

But you are probably right.. I'm doomed to own a Rocnel Sailor one day, I'm sure of it. <eg>

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Oh, happy day. I now have top and bottom temporary teeth.. and almost zero pain. It sort of surprised me. I was in a decent amount of pain this morning.. swollen cheeks and almost up to my eyes. That has almost all dissipated. The main pain source was my bottom jaw which had no teeth for a day as they were refabricating a new set, as I've mentioned. The new install went flawlessly and it was fast... all the screws lined up perfectly. My dentist said... "So close you can cut noodles." and he was right.

It's hard to express the joy of having teeth again. They aren't all the way to the back of the jaw yet because the implants need time to lock into the bone but even when I smile, you can't see it.

My face was hurting bad enough that shaving wouldn't have been a pleasure but tomorrow, I'll enjoy yet another Claymore Evo shave. I'm so glad I brought this razor with me instead of falling back on my old Gillette Fusion Power. I did bring it with me for some reason but haven't been tempted to use it.

And @Mr. Shavington, I did have a couple of pretty strong mango margaritas last night when my pain was at its worst. As you indicated, the combination of gabapentin and margaritas was magical. I should have kept drinking until morning but you know how that is..... we aren't at home. <eg>

Oh, happy day. I now have top and bottom temporary teeth.. and almost zero pain. It sort of surprised me. I was in a decent amount of pain this morning.. swollen cheeks and almost up to my eyes. That has almost all dissipated. The main pain source was my bottom jaw which had no teeth for a day as they were refabricating a new set, as I've mentioned. The new install went flawlessly and it was fast... all the screws lined up perfectly. My dentist said... "So close you can cut noodles." and he was right.

It's hard to express the joy of having teeth again. They aren't all the way to the back of the jaw yet because the implants need time to lock into the bone but even when I smile, you can't see it.

My face was hurting bad enough that shaving wouldn't have been a pleasure but tomorrow, I'll enjoy yet another Claymore Evo shave. I'm so glad I brought this razor with me instead of falling back on my old Gillette Fusion Power. I did bring it with me for some reason but haven't been tempted to use it.

And @Mr. Shavington, I did have a couple of pretty strong mango margaritas last night when my pain was at its worst. As you indicated, the combination of gabapentin and margaritas was magical. I should have kept drinking until morning but you know how that is..... we aren't at home. <eg>
Fantastic. You’ll have every reason to smile very soon now. Glad it’s going so well - I had no idea how big a procedure you were undertaking.

I would never have thought about healthcare tourism from America to Indonesia, but I have heard some real horror stories about the cost of care in America. Don’t want to get into anything political, but one particularly egregious example was with a close friend of mine in New York whose sister was visiting from overseas but had inoperable cancer and couldn’t insure herself. The sister got very sick during the visit and had to be taken to hospital. They gave her a scan, some pain relief, and she spent one night in hospital. The bill was $120,000. This was some years ago so it’s probably more now. No doubt somebody at that hospital got a new Lamborghini out of it.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.

Great to hear, Kim! :001_smile

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
1663334378787.png

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My biggest was slightly larger than a pea. The pain of passing it was less than the pain of the blockage. Those who know, know.
My first one was memorable. It was the size of a nickel.... and got stuck. They had to force it back into the kidney and blast it... I peed sand for 2 weeks or so. I've been able to pass all the subsequent ones.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Fantastic. You’ll have every reason to smile very soon now. Glad it’s going so well - I had no idea how big a procedure you were undertaking.

I would never have thought about healthcare tourism from America to Indonesia, but I have heard some real horror stories about the cost of care in America. Don’t want to get into anything political, but one particularly egregious example was with a close friend of mine in New York whose sister was visiting from overseas but had inoperable cancer and couldn’t insure herself. The sister got very sick during the visit and had to be taken to hospital. They gave her a scan, some pain relief, and she spent one night in hospital. The bill was $120,000. This was some years ago so it’s probably more now. No doubt somebody at that hospital got a new Lamborghini out of it.
Complete implants here are 75% cheaper than in the States... and Medicare (insurance for us old geezers) doesn't cover dental at all... and the dental insurance you Can get is worthless. Hence the trip to Bali. With the plane fares, hotels and meals, I think we'll still be 70% cheaper in the end, though we do have to return for the final teeth in April... so that might drop it down another 5% unless the airlines start taking frequent flyer miles again.

My first one was memorable. It was the size of a nickel.... and got stuck. They had to force it back into the kidney and blast it... I peed sand for 2 weeks or so. I've been able to pass all the subsequent ones.
That’s hilarious. Not for you, of course. If you believe there is a god you’d have to admit he did a pretty sloppy job designing the human body. I think he should have made women’s legs just a bit longer too - would be better.

I have heard stories such as. An American can visit Spain have a root canal or just stay at home and have a root canal. The cost is the same.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had a very pleasant shave today, perhaps the best since we've been in Bali. As I noted earlier, this was my first shave with the new teeth in place.

The equipment was the same. I didn't change anything up. I could have chosen the Canada Shaving soap I brought along to compliment the Baume.be cream but I didn't. Not sure why. Probably because, even though I bought the epoxy to fix my broken shaving bowl, I haven't mended it and that Canada Shaving Soap tub just has a ridge around the rim where I've scraped out product into said shaving bowl. This after several dozens of uses. Face lathering the Canada Shaving soap didn't appeal to me. I should get around to the repair tomorrow as we are taking a day trip on Monday up into the mountains here to see the rice fields and explore the town of Ubud and the surrounding areas. Of special interest is a coffee and cocoa plantation.... you get to sample all the coffees they grow there as well as the various chocolates they make.

I tried lighting up the mirror with the flashlight I always have with me. I got some nice shadows on my face but no clearer view of what I was doing while trying to shave so that was a bust. I turned it off. I did hold it in my left hand as I shaved around my nose. That did help. I didn't have to resort to my little nose hair trimmer to catch those hairs in and around my nostrils.

Let's do a quick inventory. I shaved at 3:30PM.... it's now 11:33 so 8 hours ago. I can't feel any whiskers anywhere yet. I think I did get a fine shave... and it was damn comfortable, even with the reduced lighting. The Claymore Evo does it again. The SOC Mistura Butterscotch was a pleasure to use, as always, though I have to admit, as I keep mentioning, I'll be glad to get back to my SV 2.0 Manchurians. The larger brushes seem to be slightly more enjoyable to me... 26mm vs. 24mm. I mean, both get the job done, of course, but that extra 2mm is noticeable, at least, to me.

We had a very nice dinner at a restaurant on the 5th floor of a building overlooking Seminyak Beach, several kilometers north of where we are staying. We got there early and were glad I'd made reservations earlier this afternoon. We got the last reserved table out on the deck next to the clear glass railing. The sunset wasn't spectacular, yet enjoyable. It sure was peaceful sitting there, listening and watching the waves come in. They don't rush you here. We got there at 5. Sunset was at 6:17 and we were still at our table until after 7.

The days until our departure are going quickly. We'll putz around tomorrow a bit. Then the trip on Monday. Tuesday is our last day here. Our plane departs at 12:05 on Wednesday AM. Part One of the sage will be complete. Then back in April for the permanent teeth installation. That should be interesting. They fashion a series of titanium bridges connecting all the implants they installed along the jawline, then make the resin teeth to fit. I'll have a few toothless days again, but we've been there before so it won't be foreign ground (double entendre intended).

I do apologize for the lack of photos. If you saw the tiny vanity with my shaving stuff crammed on the right and all my wife's makeup, etc. crammed on the left, you'd understand. I told my wife.... we just have to pretend we are camping so we won't get upset about the accommodations. There are great hotels here, but we aren't wealthy people and we also like to spend money on other things so... $16 a night..... My wife got some very nice additions to her jewelry collection... and I got a Blutt BR-1 out of the savings. Oh... and lest I forget, I got new teeth!!!!! the greatest expense of the trip.

Top Bottom