What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had a wonderful shave just a few minutes ago.

I used Grooming Department's Unscented soap Pura for the first time. It provides an excellent, luxurious lather. Is it better than Canada Shaving Soap? I'm not ready to say that yet but it sure was a nice first time use.

I'm so glad to be back to my SV brushes and in our own bathroom. It's a joy to have enough light and a big enough mirror so see clearly and not feel cramped.

I'm grateful @Mr. Shavington was the forerunner here for my Wolfman WR2 0.95 in Bronze. I wouldn't have had the courage to try a Wolfman without his recommendation. A thanks goes out to @Rosseforp as well for confirming that gap choice. I sort of lost track of the last time I shaved, though I did use my Andis clippers the other day with the finest cutting blades they offer to take off some of my whiskers. The Wolfman made short work of my hobo looking facial hair in short order. Even the challenging places on my face cleaned up with what felt like zero effort. When I applied the post shave treatments, I couldn't feel any stray whiskers I'd missed, always a good sign. It's still a bit difficult to believe three pieces of metal can be designed in such a way to provide such a smooth and effortless shave. For me, the Wolfman is something special. This isn't to say my other top razors have fallen by the wayside or that I will stop using them, but the Wolfman is _____. Words sort of fail me at the moment. It's that good.

The plan the other day hasn't changed. I'm going to use this Perma-Sharp one more time in the Wolfman, then get two shaves in with my Athena. Back to back bronze razor shaves. ;) After that, I'm going to see if I can get to the bottom of DE slant razors to see if they work well for me. First up will be the ATT S1 I recently purchased, then on to the Merkur 37C I've had sitting around, untried, for months now. Finally, I'll use the Filament I got when PAA got them back in stock a while back, after my wife permanently "borrowed" the first one I bought.

After enough shaves to feel comfortable with those three razors, I might have a clue what base plate I need for the RR SuperSlant. I didn't enjoy shaving with either the L3 or L2++s. It could just be my lack of sound technique but I suspect, both are more efficient than I need.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
For me, the Wolfman is something special. This isn't to say my other top razors have fallen by the wayside or that I will stop using them, but the Wolfman is _____. Words sort of fail me at the moment. It's that good.
My WR2 0.95 is THE only razor in my den than makes me giggle when I use it.

~doug~

But there will always be a special place for this vintage piece of equipment!
20230601_071101[1].jpg

I had a wonderful shave just a few minutes ago.

I used Grooming Department's Unscented soap Pura for the first time. It provides an excellent, luxurious lather. Is it better than Canada Shaving Soap? I'm not ready to say that yet but it sure was a nice first time use.

I'm so glad to be back to my SV brushes and in our own bathroom. It's a joy to have enough light and a big enough mirror so see clearly and not feel cramped.

I'm grateful @Mr. Shavington was the forerunner here for my Wolfman WR2 0.95 in Bronze. I wouldn't have had the courage to try a Wolfman without his recommendation. A thanks goes out to @Rosseforp as well for confirming that gap choice. I sort of lost track of the last time I shaved, though I did use my Andis clippers the other day with the finest cutting blades they offer to take off some of my whiskers. The Wolfman made short work of my hobo looking facial hair in short order. Even the challenging places on my face cleaned up with what felt like zero effort. When I applied the post shave treatments, I couldn't feel any stray whiskers I'd missed, always a good sign. It's still a bit difficult to believe three pieces of metal can be designed in such a way to provide such a smooth and effortless shave. For me, the Wolfman is something special. This isn't to say my other top razors have fallen by the wayside or that I will stop using them, but the Wolfman is _____. Words sort of fail me at the moment. It's that good.

The plan the other day hasn't changed. I'm going to use this Perma-Sharp one more time in the Wolfman, then get two shaves in with my Athena. Back to back bronze razor shaves. ;) After that, I'm going to see if I can get to the bottom of DE slant razors to see if they work well for me. First up will be the ATT S1 I recently purchased, then on to the Merkur 37C I've had sitting around, untried, for months now. Finally, I'll use the Filament I got when PAA got them back in stock a while back, after my wife permanently "borrowed" the first one I bought.

After enough shaves to feel comfortable with those three razors, I might have a clue what base plate I need for the RR SuperSlant. I didn't enjoy shaving with either the L3 or L2++s. It could just be my lack of sound technique but I suspect, both are more efficient than I need.
I have now been in temporary accommodation in central London for three months and have another month to go before we move into our new house. Like you, I’m really looking forward to having space again, and a big enough bathroom. Due to the space constraints and everything being in suitcases I’ve only been using one razor for some time now and it’s the Wolfman WR2 0.95. It’s been good to use it continuously, though, and it can’t hurt my shaves to use one razor that I’m now very familiar with. I am getting really exceptional shaves, though it took me some time to adjust to the different water here and being in a cramped bathroom.

Actually I was travelling on business last week to Chicago and Toronto and I only took a Bic Metal with me. That is a very fine razor indeed and it costs about as much as a DE razor blade. I’ve no idea why they call it Bic Metal because it is just plastic - except that the safety bar is a metal wire. It’s a very comfortable and natural razor to shave with, with the built-in head angle, and it is extremely forgiving. You can apply a bit of pressure to offset the extreme lightness of the razor and get a very close shave, and it won’t hurt your skin. Honestly I think it is better than any other SE razor I have, even though I could buy more than a thousand of these instead of a Vector and an AC blade pack.

B177C01B-501B-4A92-B901-2B5A0BC735BE.jpeg

But I would say the Wolfman WR2 0.95 is clearly better than even the Bic Metal. That’s how great the Wolfman is.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When I got up this morning, around 13 hours after I finished my Wolfman 0.95 last night, I could barely feel the whiskers on my chin area..... and it was effortless getting there. I was a bit apprehensive when I sold off so many good, highly rated, some used and some untried by me razors to fund the Wolfman with two handles and bases but I'm so glad I did. I expected it to be good but I had no idea is could possibly be this good. I'll be revisiting my top 6 other razors and a few new ones over the next few months. I hope some of them are at least close to the Wolfman. I think the Athena will or could be a match in performance... as well as the Blutt BR-1 1.20. It should prove interesting.

My wife is assembling the two tier (6 layer 9" cake on the bottom, 4 layer 6" cake on the top... two different kinds of cake) with some cool decorations for the baby shower for our daughter-in-law. We're extremely excited about having our first grandchild, a granddaughter, as I've mentioned many times. We met them at the beach on Monday and had a great time. She's been exercising like crazy and is in outstanding physical shape and has been enjoying her pregnancy. It was so nice to see them after being gone for so long.

I have now been in temporary accommodation in central London for three months and have another month to go before we move into our new house. Like you, I’m really looking forward to having space again, and a big enough bathroom. Due to the space constraints and everything being in suitcases I’ve only been using one razor for some time now and it’s the Wolfman WR2 0.95. It’s been good to use it continuously, though, and it can’t hurt my shaves to use one razor that I’m now very familiar with. I am getting really exceptional shaves, though it took me some time to adjust to the different water here and being in a cramped bathroom.

Actually I was travelling on business last week to Chicago and Toronto and I only took a Bic Metal with me. That is a very fine razor indeed and it costs about as much as a DE razor blade. I’ve no idea why they call it Bic Metal because it is just plastic - except that the safety bar is a metal wire. It’s a very comfortable and natural razor to shave with, with the built-in head angle, and it is extremely forgiving. You can apply a bit of pressure to offset the extreme lightness of the razor and get a very close shave, and it won’t hurt your skin. Honestly I think it is better than any other SE razor I have, even though I could buy more than a thousand of these instead of a Vector and an AC blade pack.

View attachment 1663912

But I would say the Wolfman WR2 0.95 is clearly better than even the Bic Metal. That’s how great the Wolfman is.
The Bic metal has been my travel razor when I don't feel like packing anything else. I discovered it not to long ago. I used to use the Bic sensitive skin razor (the yellow ones). Those Bic metal's are most definitely a great razor. Quite possibly the best disposable ever.

Last edited:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
The Bic metal has been my travel razor when I don't feel like packing anything else. I discovered it not to long ago. I used to use the Bic sensitive skin razor (the yellow ones). They are most definitely a great razor. Quite possibly the best disposable ever.
My father loved his BIC disposables. They bring back memories of watching dad shave. :)

One of his favorite aftershaves was the Skin Bracer Sport Talc. I keep telling myself I'm going to track some down. Maybe use it once a year on his birthday. Nov. 11th.

When I got up this morning, around 13 hours after I finished my Wolfman 0.95 last night, I could barely feel the whiskers on my chin area..... and it was effortless getting there. I was a bit apprehensive when I sold off so many good, highly rated, some used and some untried by me razors to fund the Wolfman with two handles and bases but I'm so glad I did. I expected it to be good but I had no idea is could possibly be this good. I'll be revisiting my top 6 other razors and a few new ones over the next few months. I hope some of them are at least close to the Wolfman. I think the Athena will or could be a match in performance... as well as the Blutt BR-1 1.20. It should prove interesting.

My wife is assembling the two tier (6 layer 9" cake on the bottom, 4 layer 6" cake on the top... two different kinds of cake) with some cool decorations for the baby shower for our daughter-in-law. We're extremely excited about having our first grandchild, a granddaughter, as I've mentioned many times. We met them at the beach on Monday and had a great time. She's been exercising like crazy and is in outstanding physical shape and has been enjoying her pregnancy. It was so nice to see them after being gone for so long.
That's awesome Kim. First grandchild has to be an exciting time in ones life. Happy for you!
And about the Wolfman, I'm gonna have to stop reading because it's gonna end up getting me on the wait list.🤣

Top Bottom