What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
That and today's car interiors are busy. Electronics instead of analog gauges...
20210307_070341[1].jpg20230323_123941[1].jpg20230323_124003[1].jpg
The nice thing about my Volt is the dash has a Classic display and a pretty simple interior.
The pic on the left is from Irwindale Raceway, waiting in line to get in and race... Palm trees courtesy of In-N-Out Burgers.

~doug~

UPS delivered as promised and I just finished shaving with my new Wolfman WR2-SB .95... with the Darwin handle in Bronze.

First of all. the fit and finish of this Wolfman is flawless. This is their "basic polish-textured" finish. OK.. I guess James could do a super polish but my, oh, my... this thing is mirror polish perfect.

I used my basic additional stuff. Today was the rotation for the Elite Razor Blood Basin Jasper handle Manchurian brush. It's the softest badger I have. It isn't floppy... just soft. I actually enjoyed it today instead of comparing it to my SV 2.0 or Zenith Manchurians. Grooming Dept pre-shave... and the PAA Cube 2.0 in the shower. Canada Shaving soap...

The shave itself? I used a Wizamet Super Iridium (1) today as has been my practice with a new razor. Any fear the Wolfman would struggle to make it onto my Top 6 razor list dissipated on the very first WTG stroke. Is it better than anything I own? I'm glad I can't say that. It is certainly the equal of any thing I've ever used... it was a lovely, relaxing, smooth, comfortable yet close shave. The thing I continue to notice with all my top razors.... no learning curve to speak of. I adjust the angle with each razor until I hit that sweet spot. It was effortless with the Wolfman. The other concern was the blade gap because James offers a variety because of customer requests. The .95 is the standard for the WR2 and for me... it is perfect. I never felt like I needed more efficiency. I would say, based on sort of casual observation and first use... I ended up on the steep side of neutral... a notch or two from dead neutral.

Great first shave.... and the Wolman did make me glad I had taken the chance and sold off so many razors and brushes to fund it's purchase.

The second handle, the WRH3/7, is shown both with the Wolman head mounted on it......... as well as the Athena razor head. I think this hollow, lighter handle will be a plus for the Athena.... time will tell on that one.

Photos:

View attachment 1620624

View attachment 1620625

View attachment 1620626

Edit: Thank you, @Mr. Shavington . You did it again.... your purchase of this exact razor is what lead me to my first Wolfman. I say "first"... because, well, it's B&B, but mainly because I'll be watching to see how James approaches the AC format. I don't feel any need for a closer, more efficient WR2 shave. The .95 is wonderful for my face and whiskers. I didn't shave yesterday in anticipation of the Wolfman showing up today... so three days growth gone like it was nothing.
That's a beauty Kim. Congratulations!
For some reason I stopped receiving notifications of posts on your thread and missed it. I need to check what's going on with that! I knew you were in the order process but had no idea that it arrived.
It must shave as good as it looks. Maybe at some point I'll get hit with the Wolfman bug.
Sure is beautiful!

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Lots of running around today... to miss the weekend crowd but too many other people had the same idea. ;)

In any event, I had a brilliant shave with the Wolfman WR2 0.95, 3/7 hollow handle and a first time use Gillette 7 O'clock black. I haven't used one since Sept or so last year. It provided a smooth, comfortable and close shave. All in all... lovely, if I do say so myself.

I also repeated the use of the Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal unscented soap. This is a keeper for me. It is a croap so I doubt a tub will last long, esp. compared to Canada Shaving Soap. Still, it's as good as some of the fine people here have suggested. I will definitely buy it again.

Everything else was the same.

I told my wife..... this Wolfman is proving to be worth every penny. I'm going to shave with the Athena next to get a comparison of the two. I can't really explain why I have those mind altering shaves with those two. I have great shaves with all my top 6 razors, but those "one with the razor" experiences have been rare enough that I make a note of them or try to. As with the other razors I'm using, there was no learning curve with the Wolfman with either handle: the Darwin and the 3/7.

I guess it's a good thing... not sure if one razor is better than the others. I love shaving at this point. I look at my list.... think back.... There isn't one I don't enjoy. Are any redundant? Not really... Each of them in unique enough so I like shaving with all of them. Do the Wolfman and Athena rise above the others? I'm not sure. I think if I get another year under my belt, one shave at a time, using all 6 of them, I might get a better idea.

I still might add a Wolfman WR4, James AC razor about to be released but other than that, I'm feeling pretty content with my razors. Same with brushes, pre-shaves and soaps. I hope this thread thrives on other topics and conversations. It's going to get a bit boring... reading about this or that great shave. <eg> :devil:

Lots of running around today... to miss the weekend crowd but too many other people had the same idea. ;)

In any event, I had a brilliant shave with the Wolfman WR2 0.95, 3/7 hollow handle and a first time use Gillette 7 O'clock black. I haven't used one since Sept or so last year. It provided a smooth, comfortable and close shave. All in all... lovely, if I do say so myself.

I also repeated the use of the Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal unscented soap. This is a keeper for me. It is a croap so I doubt a tub will last long, esp. compared to Canada Shaving Soap. Still, it's as good as some of the fine people here have suggested. I will definitely buy it again.

Everything else was the same.

I told my wife..... this Wolfman is proving to be worth every penny. I'm going to shave with the Athena next to get a comparison of the two. I can't really explain why I have those mind altering shaves with those two. I have great shaves with all my top 6 razors, but those "one with the razor" experiences have been rare enough that I make a note of them or try to. As with the other razors I'm using, there was no learning curve with the Wolfman with either handle: the Darwin and the 3/7.

I guess it's a good thing... not sure if one razor is better than the others. I love shaving at this point. I look at my list.... think back.... There isn't one I don't enjoy. Are any redundant? Not really... Each of them in unique enough so I like shaving with all of them. Do the Wolfman and Athena rise above the others? I'm not sure. I think if I get another year under my belt, one shave at a time, using all 6 of them, I might get a better idea.

I still might add a Wolfman WR4, James AC razor about to be released but other than that, I'm feeling pretty content with my razors. Same with brushes, pre-shaves and soaps. I hope this thread thrives on other topics and conversations. It's going to get a bit boring... reading about this or that great shave. <eg> :devil:
I think with more familiarity I have come to feel that my two best Wolfmans (0.95 and 1.55, but not the 1.35) and my two Lambdas (Athena and Ares) are slightly above my other favourite razors. I would also add the Karve Overlander, and they would be my top five. But I find it hard still to try and rank those five - I think my preferences would change from day to day, and change back again, because they are equal but different. I would just rank the Overlander fifth because the finish isn’t comparable to Wolfman or Lambda.

Sounds like you’re gradually heading toward a similar conclusion with your Wolfman and Lambda.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think with more familiarity I have come to feel that my two best Wolfmans (0.95 and 1.55, but not the 1.35) and my two Lambdas (Athena and Ares) are slightly above my other favourite razors. I would also add the Karve Overlander, and they would be my top five. But I find it hard still to try and rank those five - I think my preferences would change from day to day, and change back again, because they are equal but different. I would just rank the Overlander fifth because the finish isn’t comparable to Wolfman or Lambda.

Sounds like you’re gradually heading toward a similar conclusion with your Wolfman and Lambda.
I'll need more time with them, to be sure..... but right off the bat, they've been outstanding. I do remember my first shave with the Blutt BR-1 1.20. As I've mentioned, that was the first shave that made me say "wow". It is interesting that eve with the relatively large gap, the Blutt isn't any more efficient than either the Wolfman or Athena. It was the first recommendation you gave me to step up the efficiency a half step or so more than the Claymore Evolution.

I'll need more time with them, to be sure..... but right off the bat, they've been outstanding. I do remember my first shave with the Blutt BR-1 1.20. As I've mentioned, that was the first shave that made me say "wow". It is interesting that eve with the relatively large gap, the Blutt isn't any more efficient than either the Wolfman or Athena. It was the first recommendation you gave me to step up the efficiency a half step or so more than the Claymore Evolution.
Statements like these make me wonder if moving past the Blutt is a mistake :pipe:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I like having a bit of variety. I like the unique qualities of my top 6 razors. I'm sure I could have stopped with the Blutt BR-1 1.20, esp. since I bought a .86 bottom plate too.... so I would have a more mild shave if and when I needed one. But every razor I've added since the Blutt BR-1 was waiting for me when we returned from our first Bali trip has been an excellent addition. OK... as I'm thinking about it... the RR SuperSlant doesn't fit that description. That one isn't intuitive for me, at least, not on my problem areas. I think I'll figure it out... or it will end up on BST. I have a sneaky suspicion my extra Green Cult 2.0 Level 2/3 and the SuperSlant might end up funding a Wolfman WR4 bronze head... since I already have an extra handle and stand. The only problem there? I am going to try the Athena with the Wolfman 3/7 90mm hollow handle next shave. If that handle wants to live on the Athena, I might have to spring for another bronze handle and base. <eg>

That said, I'm glad I've reduced my main razors to 6, 7 since I use the Claymore Evolution around my nose. I still have a few much less expensive razors around. They are hardly worth selling since shipping is so expensive. I keep saying I'll get around to shaving with them at some point... but that date keeps getting pushed out into the distant future since I'm enjoying my small group so much. :devil:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Today was another experiment of sorts. I put the Athena razor head on the Wolfman Darwin handle to see if it liked a lighter handle. I did the first pass with the Athena and truth be told, I wasn't sure I was in love with the face feel, for some reason. I ended up putting the OEM Athena handle on for the second and third passes... no real touch-ups were needed.

One shave conclusion? Theo knows more about razor design than I do... Shocking, I know. <eg> :devil: I could do further experiments, but I don't really see the point. The balance of the Athena with the heavier handle, the one Theo designed, works better for me. It wasn't even that subtle...The Athena shaves better for me with the beautiful handle Theo designed. I used a Nacet (2) blade. As I've posted repeatably.... I can't really tell the difference, blade to blade. I know or think I know, all the DE blades I have have failed after two shaves..... well, they all make it into the third shave but after that first WTG pass, you can tell they are toast. I've tried getting through a complete XTG pass with them the third time... and it's brutal. I know life is suffering, but if I can avoid it, why not? <eg>

I used my normal products including Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal unscented soap, that I've come to love. I haven't decided if I'm taking it or Canada Shaving soap for our 7 week trip that starts next Wednesday.

My Brush was the Elite Bloody Jasper Basin (real rock) Bob turned. It is one of my very favorite handles. The knot is softer than my other badger knots but it did a fine job today.... It is more dense than the SV 2.0 brushes I love so much... but softer in use. I was going to decide today if I'm keeping it or not.... Softness in a brush is something many people desire... I do tend to prefer a bit of scrub.... That said, I haven't decided. I know I'm going to be selling my second Green Cult 2. 0 with Level 2 and 3 plates when we get back from Bali.... the brush? I'm still not sure... the Green Cult is an extra one I bought but decided I don't a back up.. though if I end up taking it to Bali with me and we are robbed... I'll still have one. <eg>

All in all.... a lovely shave... no skin damage.. smooth, relaxing... close... all the things I love. The Athena continues to provide a very enjoyable experience. The sound is still comforting... it looks stunning.. and shaves like a dream. After 4 shaves in a row with the Wolfman WR2 0.95, I was hoping the Athena wouldn't be diminished in my eyes... and it certainly wasn't. Whew.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Wonderful entry, my friend. As my time approaches, I keep hoping a post from you will talk me out of ordering two handles and simply going with one 🤣
I love both my Wolfman handles....but the Darwin is smaller or at least, feels smaller in diameter... so if I had to choose just one, I'd go with the 3/7 with the WHR knurling... at least, that was my other choice. I had planned on two handles and razor stands from the beginning... and yes, it added a LOT to the final price... esp. the razor stand WRA2. I wish I could tell you I regretted it to save you some money.....They are both beautiful.... and functional as well. ;)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I took @Mr. Shavington and @Elliot 's advice and shaved with my Wolfman WR2 in Bronze. What a great shave. Sound advice. My last shave in the States until near the end of May.

I went back to Canada Shaving Soap today. I've using Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal unscented soap for the last few shaves. I'm bring both of them with us to Bali but I could take either one, truth be told.

I have decided to take my ESC Claymore Evolution, ATT X1 Slant and my Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 with me. I was going to skip a DE razor until I realized, I have to bring DE blades for my wife so why not throw in an extra razor. I'm taking my two ESC Ultimate G4 synth brushes with me as well...and the usual pre and post shave stuff. I'm only taking the Kai MG Protouch guarded blades with me for my AC razors but I do have a small 3d printed new blade and used blade storage bin @luvmysuper so generously made for me so I'll have an assortment of DE blades in a small package but won't have a bunch of tucks roaming around in my suitcase.

The razors I'm goin to miss while we are gone? Well, that's easy... The other 4 that make up my top 6: the Rocnel Elite, the Lambda Athena, the Blutt BR-1 1.20 and the very special Wolfman WR2 0.95 with the 3/7 hollow 90mm handle. I'm sure I'll be looking forward to using all 4 but esp. the Wolfman. I know I'll be yearning for the feel of a SV 2.0 Manchurian as well.

Our flight doesn't leave until 7PM tomorrow evening.... then just around 40 hours of travel time. The time zone changes are a blast. <eg> We get to Bali around 7Pm on Friday.... On the trip home..... we get home the same day we leave, though just before midnight. It will be fun to see our oldest son and his wife who were are meeting in Slovenia for 5 days. They rented a place on a lake there somewhere. They've been in Croatia for just over a year now.

Top Bottom