What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

I get it. I do the ocd thing. I have the whole food thing down to an art. I find routine comforting, and I obsess about things I enjoy, like shaving, lol. You really nailed it in your post. People need a lot less food than they think they do. I always make sure I get healthy fats, carbs, and enough protein.
+1 My parents could have put OCD as middle names for all I know. Not about everything so, but I tend to be very methodical about the most mundane things like shaving or making inserts for my paper planner (that rabbit hole is a nice one too!).
We eat a lot less meat than we used to and lots of greens. I had my wake up call when I was 21 and being brought to the intensive care because they thought I was slipping into a coma for not taking properly care of myself. When I got out I scienced the #%** out of my breakfast and became very concious of eating and sleeping habits.

I should exercise more than I do, but at least I am exercising. I firmly want to stay thin for sure. I plan to get my black belt in karate before 55 (I know that age has sailed for you guys a long time ago
:devil:
) and maintain that routine for as long as I can.

Guido

Thank you, I almost deleted that after typing it. Sometimes generalisations can cause more trouble than direct attacks. I appreciate this post a lot because, even though I know I am doing what is right for me, I sometimes feel like a lone voice against a crazy mob.
I love being a lone voice against a crazy mob. It’s how I know I must be right. When in history was the mob ever right?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It’s how I know I must be right.

Why can’t you simply be wrong in a different manner? Everyone fervently disagreeing with — instead of dispassionately disagreeing — means your angry mob got their position without reasoning, but it doesn’t mean they’re wrong or you’re right.

When your description of properties best matches what you observe and alternate descriptions cannot provide better understanding, it’s how you know you must have a reasonable understanding based on your current amount of information and the chance to prepare a new explanation when more information is uncovered.

Otherwise, the angry spirits of Ronald and Nancy Reagan will chase you until you hook up a cassette player a listen to Dr. Peikoff’s “An Introduction to Aristotelian Logic.”

Why can’t you simply be wrong in a different manner? Everyone fervently disagreeing with — instead of dispassionately disagreeing — means your angry mob got their position without reasoning, but it doesn’t mean they’re wrong or you’re right.

When your description of properties best matches what you observe and alternate descriptions cannot provide better understanding, it’s how you know you must have a reasonable understanding based on your current amount of information and the chance to prepare a new explanation when more information is uncovered.

Otherwise, the angry spirits of Ronald and Nancy Reagan will chase you until you hook up a cassette player a listen to Dr. Peikoff’s “An Introduction to Aristotelian Logic.”
Yes, I exaggerate. Disagreeing with the mob isn’t proof you’re right. It’s only a corroborative indicator that you’re right, but you’d need to support your position with evidence and reason as well - which the mob cannot.

Last edited:
I start losing weight a few weeks before our son gave me that first razor and the journey began. Shaving was a large part of the weight loss regiment, when I think back on it. I've lost 68 pound so far. I no longer have to keep an eye out for Japanese trawlers when we are at the beach.

That's some amazing weight loss, Kim. Congrats!!! Sounds like you're on the right track to keep it off, too.

I lost about 60 pounds 23 years ago and have kept it off. For eating, I follow the 80/20 rule, with 80% healthy eating and 20% eating what I want, but in moderation. I also try to eat smaller amounts more often rather than bigger meals spaced farther apart and try to not eat until I feel full. Essentially, I try to never feel either hungry or full. Occasionally I'll screw up and overeat, but it's always a good reminder of how much I hate feeling stuffed. I also exercise religiously (walking, cycling, and strength training).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thank you, I almost deleted that after typing it. Sometimes generalisations can cause more trouble than direct attacks. I appreciate this post a lot because, even though I know I am doing what is right for me, I sometimes feel like a lone voice against a crazy mob.
Aaron, I'm also glad you chimed in. I grew up on what I affectionately call "white trash" food.. My mother was a horrible cook and we were poor. We at a lot of casseroles.... and Kraft Mac & Cheese. I still love that stuff... and it just packs the pounds on. Things weren't running smoothly in our household and food was a coping device.. there's a reason they call it "comfort food".

Like @Raven Koenes stated, we have to be cognizant of what goes into our mouth... Aaron you mentioned this too. Over this past year, when we have been invited to a party, I always bring along my own healthy snacks.... I know, if I get started on the cheese and crackers, I'll be in deep yogurt. I keep things in the car, in a small cooler and sort of sneak them in if there is nothing I can eat safely. As long as I don't trumpet my weight loss so a heavier person feels offended, things are usually OK. I know if I'm around a heavy person, my weight loss will bother them some and I make sure to avoid the topic. I try to stay under the radar but won't be pressured into eating the stuff I know will bother me later, both mentally and physically. If I'm pressed, I say..... my doctor told me I had to lose weight to battle my arthritis. That seems to lessen the blow and makes it acceptable.

Congratulation on your one year anniversary @Phoenixkh!!

I've learned so much from your posts and have always enjoyed your enthusiasm mixed a mix of wisdom and willingness to learn. You are a pleasure to read! And I've appreciated all the advise you've shared with me publicly and privately.

Here's to another year my friend. 🍸 Maybe not another 68 pounds in 2023 though, we can't have you disappear!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Congratulation on your one year anniversary @Phoenixkh!!

I've learned so much from your posts and have always enjoyed your enthusiasm mixed a mix of wisdom and willingness to learn. You are a pleasure to read! And I've appreciated all the advise you've shared with me publicly and privately.

Here's to another year my friend. 🍸 Maybe not another 68 pounds in 2023 though, we can't have you disappear!
Thx, @flask28 . If I were to lose another 68 pounds, I'd no longer be here, so that's a relief.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I posted this in one of the Green Cult 2.0 threads but I thought I'd copy and post it here.

I have used the Green Cult 2.0 with the Level 1,2 and 3 plates. The Level 3 plate didn't work well for me. It wasn't smooth or comfortable and as I said, I'm getting great shaves with the Level 2 plate. I passed along the Level 1 plate the other day because I find the Blutt BR-1 .86 to be so similar to the GC Level 1 plate, I didn't need both. I only use the .86 Blutt for a day when I'm doing one of those "I shaved last night but we are headed out this morning and I need to look close shaven for the rest of the day" shaves.

@LRod found the Level 4 plate worked well for him.... Unlike me, Larry didn't find the Level 3 plate much different for him than the Level 2 plate but he didn't care for the Level 3 plate either..... He quite enjoyed the Level 4 plate. Green Cult Steel Razor - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/green-cult-steel-razor.619798/page-33 Post #643. Earlier on in that thread, Larry / @LRod shares more of his experiences with the Green Cult 2.0 and the other models as well. Larry is the reason I bought the Green Cult in the first place. He loves it.. and as a result, so do I.

On the other hand, @huck1680 loves the Level 3 plate.

So, the GC 2.0 Level 2 and the Blutt BR-1 1.20 shave the same for me. I've posted this many places before for I'll repost it here for point of reference.

All these razors are stellar for me. They all fit into that "mild but efficient" category for my face and whiskers. I get 12 hour shaves with each of them.

1. Blutt BR-1 1.20 w/ Timeless Ti Crown handle (recommended to me by @Mr. Shavington)
2. Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 w/ Timeless Ti Crown handle (recommended to me by @LRod )
3. Rocnel Elite (recommended to me by @Mr. Shavington )
4. Lambda Athena (recommended to me by @Mr. Shavington )
5. ATT X1 AC Slant w/ Timeless Ti Crown handle (recommended to me by @Old Hippie and @Chan Eil Whiskers )

As you can see, I use the Timeless Ti Crown handle on 3 out of the top 5 razor list. I first saw @never-stop-learning 's posts. I bought one and loved how it shaves off an ounce or so from the OEM handles. It makes the razors balanced more toward the head than the handle and makes them more maneuverable.

I have a Wolfman Bronze WR2 .95 razor currently in production (recommended to me by @Mr. Shavington ).. I hope it gets added to the above list. I do use the ESC Claymore Evolution AC razor (recommended to me by Brian Mulreany, the former owner of ESC, when I first started out in February of 2022) around my nose for every shave. It gets some pesky whiskers out of the way more efficiently than any of my other razors. That said, it is a half a step less efficient than my top 5 razors listed above.

I posted this in one of the Green Cult 2.0 threads but I thought I'd copy and post it here.

I have used the Green Cult 2.0 with the Level 1,2 and 3 plates. The Level 3 plate didn't work well for me. It wasn't smooth or comfortable and as I said, I'm getting great shaves with the Level 2 plate. I passed along the Level 1 plate the other day because I find the Blutt BR-1 .86 to be so similar to the GC Level 1 plate, I didn't need both. I only use the .86 Blutt for a day when I'm doing one of those "I shaved last night but we are headed out this morning and I need to look close shaven for the rest of the day" shaves.

@LRod found the Level 4 plate worked well for him.... Unlike me, Larry didn't find the Level 3 plate much different for him than the Level 2 plate but he didn't care for the Level 3 plate either..... He quite enjoyed the Level 4 plate. Green Cult Steel Razor - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/green-cult-steel-razor.619798/page-33 Post #643. Earlier on in that thread, Larry / @LRod shares more of his experiences with the Green Cult 2.0 and the other models as well. Larry is the reason I bought the Green Cult in the first place. He loves it.. and as a result, so do I.

On the other hand, @huck1680 loves the Level 3 plate.

So, the GC 2.0 Level 2 and the Blutt BR-1 1.20 shave the same for me. I've posted this many places before for I'll repost it here for point of reference.

All these razors are stellar for me. They all fit into that "mild but efficient" category for my face and whiskers. I get 12 hour shaves with each of them.

1. Blutt BR-1 1.20 w/ Timeless Ti Crown handle (recommended to me by @Mr. Shavington)
2. Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 w/ Timeless Ti Crown handle (recommended to me by @LRod )
3. Rocnel Elite (recommended to me by @Mr. Shavington )
4. Lambda Athena (recommended to me by @Mr. Shavington )
5. ATT X1 AC Slant w/ Timeless Ti Crown handle (recommended to me by @Old Hippie and @Chan Eil Whiskers )

As you can see, I use the Timeless Ti Crown handle on 3 out of the top 5 razor list. I first saw @never-stop-learning 's posts. I bought one and loved how it shaves off an ounce or so from the OEM handles. It makes the razors balanced more toward the head than the handle and makes them more maneuverable.

I have a Wolfman Bronze WR2 .95 razor currently in production (recommended to me by @Mr. Shavington ).. I hope it gets added to the above list. I do use the ESC Claymore Evolution AC razor (recommended to me by Brian Mulreany, the former owner of ESC, when I first started out in February of 2022) around my nose for every shave. It gets some pesky whiskers out of the way more efficiently than any of my other razors. That said, it is a half a step less efficient than my top 5 razors listed above.
Funny you posted your top razors. I was about to do the same (and will) in the next couple of days.
Reason being: I took my top five for a daily spin, using each for about 3 days a piece. And revisited the
Executive Outlaw during this time. I'll post my surprising results from that one!
Hint: It's not exactly how it was when I first bought it. Matter of fact, it climbed the ladder of fame!
Anyways, I'll be doing that in my thread in the next couple of days!
Based on what you posted, I'm kind of glad that I never got a Blutt since you find it so similar to the GC.
I actually never purchased it because I thought it would be too similar to the Tatara Nodachi. The head designs seem very similar to me (visually). Incredibly though, the GC head looks nothing like the Blutt's but they give you similar shaves. Once again another example on how weird all of this shaving stuff is.
As for the Rocnel, well, I think that was my biggest shaving gear blunder (even though I didn't lose money after selling it). My fault though since I jumped into it by becoming enamored with it's looks. But I've learned that looks aren't everything. Just look at the GC's, they aren't the prettiest but they work like champs.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Oh. I was rather enjoying the thought of you refreshing your emails every 5 seconds for the last week and a half. That’s kind of spoiled the fun now.

Still, I’m also looking forward to seeing what you think about the razor.
Well, I would say..... every hour... until Wolfman closes for the day at 5PM, their time. ;)

It's scheduled to show up on Tuesday next week. Whew.

I did email Tara... I couldn't fight off the urge any longer, though I tried. She told me she had some time off for her birthday and sort of apologized for not getting it shipped. But UPS picked it up and gave me that delivery date so all is well.

Edit: I do think the release of the Guerilla contributed to the delivery time. I wonder how many they've sold so far.

Well, I would say..... every hour... until Wolfman closes for the day at 5PM, their time. ;)

It's scheduled to show up on Tuesday next week. Whew.

I did email Tara... I couldn't fight off the urge any longer, though I tried. She told me she had some time off for her birthday and sort of apologized for not getting it shipped. But UPS picked it up and gave me that delivery date so all is well.

Edit: I do think the release of the Guerilla contributed to the delivery time. I wonder how many they've sold so far.
Haha. So your razor was all ready but instead of shipping it Tara went on a week long bender for her birthday, woke up on a beach in Greenland and had to flag down a passing trawler to give her a ride back to Canada. Then she got your email and remembered there was a bronze razor in a box somewhere around the office. I love it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Haha. So your razor was all ready but instead of shipping it Tara went on a week long bender for her birthday, woke up on a beach in Greenland and had to flag down a passing trawler to give her a ride back to Canada. Then she got your email and remembered there was a bronze razor in a box somewhere around the office. I love it.
That story works well... I think I'll add that to my Wolfman saga....spice up the surrounding lore.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wolfman has loaded it into a canoe which could still get stuck in a frozen stream unlikely to thaw until May or June.

"Patience is a virtue which carries some serious wait."

Just saying...

Also hoping your razor arrives at your door on Saturday.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom