What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@Mr. Shavington , I reminded myself to ask you.. How are you getting along with your Wolfman WR2 .95 Bronze razor? I ask because, as you know, my name is going to come up any week now... probably 2 weeks at best, and I'll have to make that final Wolfman decision..... never an easy task. I did notice you are thinking of bringing your large gap Wolfman along with you when you relocate to the UK and are in between houses. That is what prompted my question. ;)

I realize it's quite late in Poland at the moment and don't expect a reply until Sunday AM sometime.

@Mr. Shavington , I reminded myself to ask you.. How are you getting along with your Wolfman WR2 .95 Bronze razor? I ask because, as you know, my name is going to come up any week now... probably 2 weeks at best, and I'll have to make that final Wolfman decision..... never an easy task. I did notice you are thinking of bringing your large gap Wolfman along with you when you relocate to the UK and are in between houses. That is what prompted my question. ;)

I realize it's quite late in Poland at the moment and don't expect a reply until Sunday AM sometime.
I’m still up.

The only reason I listed the 1.55 was that I had listed the Overlander and Athena already, which covered the mild-but-efficient end of things. I chose the Overlander and Athena first because I think of them as my ‘perfect shave guarantee’ razors, no matter what the conditions. I wouldn’t need three mild razors if I have limited space so I added the 1.55, as an aggressive-but-gentle option, and a shavette.

I would say the 0.95 is favoured over the 1.55 (slightly) because it’s more usable for me more of the time. But they are both amazing - just different kinds of razor, and I shave with them very differently (0.95 neutral angle, 1.55 very steep and light). And the 1.35 doesn’t work as well for me because it isn’t efficient enough steep and it isn’t comfortable enough neutral. This is why I’m enjoying the extreme ends of the WR2 gap range most.

The WR2 0.95 is great. My opinion hasn’t changed. It’s damn efficient for such a mild and luxurious feeling razor. As I’ve said, my only question mark about the 0.95 is that it might even be more efficient than I need, so there’s an opportunity to try a lower gap and it might still be efficient enough to satisfy me (but I don’t know).

One thing that I also like about the 0.95 (and I can’t really explain it) is that it’s the one razor I have which somehow makes me feel confident extending the use of my blades longer. It seems as though the blades don’t wear as quickly - but that makes no sense. Maybe it’s just that the razor makes me feel more calm, in control, and able to sense the condition of the blade edge better. It feels transparent and that there will be no surprises. Anyway, I’ll finish my third shave with a blade in the 0.95 and I just can tell that the blade is good for at least another shave.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m still up.

The only reason I listed the 1.55 was that I had listed the Overlander and Athena already, which covered the mild-but-efficient end of things. I chose the Overlander and Athena first because I think of them as my ‘perfect shave guarantee’ razors, no matter what the conditions. I wouldn’t need three mild razors if I have limited space so I added the 1.55, as an aggressive-but-gentle option, and a shavette.

I would say the 0.95 is favoured over the 1.55 (slightly) because it’s more usable for me more of the time. But they are both amazing - just different kinds of razor, and I shave with them very differently (0.95 neutral angle, 1.55 very steep and light). And the 1.35 doesn’t work as well for me because it isn’t efficient enough steep and it isn’t comfortable enough neutral. This is why I’m enjoying the extreme ends of the WR2 gap range most.

The WR2 0.95 is great. My opinion hasn’t changed. It’s damn efficient for such a mild and luxurious feeling razor. As I’ve said, my only question mark about the 0.95 is that it might even be more efficient than I need, so there’s an opportunity to try a lower gap and it might still be efficient enough to satisfy me (but I don’t know).

One thing that I also like about the 0.95 (and I can’t really explain it) is that it’s the one razor I have which somehow makes me feel confident extending the use of my blades longer. It seems as though the blades don’t wear as quickly - but that makes no sense. Maybe it’s just that the razor makes me feel more calm, in control, and able to sense the condition of the blade edge better. It feels transparent and that there will be no surprises. Anyway, I’ll finish my third shave with a blade in the 0.95 and I just can tell that the blade is good for at least another shave.

Thank you.... Here's my issue, if you will. We are retired and though I have some expendable income, it isn't unlimited. I can't actually believe I won the internal dialogue and made the decision to spend as much as a Wolman with two handles and two razor stands is going to cost. As you know, I sold 11 razors and 6 shaving brushes to fund it. That's how I can justify it to myself. I have quite a few ways to get a great mild shave when I need it so I'm not really interested in one of the newly offered smaller gap heads James is making. This might be shortsighted but I hope not. You have answered my concern... do I need a 1.05 or a 1.10? Based on your experience and how I've experienced the razors you've recommended in the past and I now own, the WR2 .95 will be a match for me. Whew.... That's what I'm going to order when my name comes up.. It's set in silly putty now. <eg>

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Sailor, and the Sailors owned by others, have been said to cover the territory of every Wolfman.

It's also been said to cover the territory of most, or perhaps all razors, the Sailor has.

I don't have all the Wolfman razors. I have only the 1.15 and the 1.35. I am not tempted to order the other two WR2 Wolfman razors I might otherwise want - the 0.95 and the 1.55 - because of the Sailor.

I'm not knocking any razors here nor those buying them. Lord knows I have had and may not have cured my share of RAD.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thank you.... Here's my issue, if you will. We are retired and though I have some expendable income, it isn't unlimited. I can't actually believe I won the internal dialogue and made the decision to spend as much as a Wolman with two handles and two razor stands is going to cost. As you know, I sold 11 razors and 6 shaving brushes to fund it. That's how I can justify it to myself. I have quite a few ways to get a great mild shave when I need it so I'm not really interested in one of the newly offered smaller gap heads James is making. This might be shortsighted but I hope not. You have answered my concern... do I need a 1.05 or a 1.10? Based on your experience and how I've experienced the razors you've recommended in the past and I now own, the WR2 .95 will be a match for me. Whew.... That's what I'm going to order when my name comes up.. It's set in silly putty now. <eg>
I’m as sure as I can be that the WR2 0.95 gap is a better option for you than 1.05 or 1.15. If you’re shaving with a neutral angle there is no need for any more efficiency, and surely any larger gaps would represent some loss of comfort. I just don’t see what benefit the 1.05 or 1.15 gives.

If, on the other hand, you shave steep (as most recommend with the very high gap plates, and I agree) it’s a different story. The 0.95 wouldn’t be efficient enough. And neither would the 1.05 or 1.15. My 1.35 isn’t quite efficient enough for me shaving steep. A steep angle certainly works brilliantly with my 1.55, and that’s a really efficient razor suddenly (and it also feels smoother than the 1.35 - I guess because it is cutting more effectively). You should use the 0.95 neutral - I don’t know if you even can shave steep with it.

Used neutral the 0.95 gap is as efficient for me as the Blutt 1.20 or the Rocnel Elite, possibly even a touch more efficient. I think once a razor spec is at the level of efficiency that gives you the 12hr BBS result you want with minimal buffing (and the 0.95 easily is that) then a more efficient design gives you no benefit - your hair will still be felt after 12hrs, no matter how much more efficient a razor is, because that’s the rate your hair grows and you can’t cut it any closer than this. All you will get beyond that level of efficiency is less comfort.

You’ll see, I’m sure - we usually experience razor efficiency similarly. When I ordered the WR2 0.95 my expectation was that it would be a very mild-feeling, gentle razor for me to use when I just want an easy, comfortable shave, don’t want to feel the blade, and I’m not concerned about the ultimate closeness. I just hoped that it would be decently efficient too, just enough to feel I had a smooth enough shave. I was imagining something like my Overlander, but more polished and refined. It isn’t how I imagined it, though.

Instead it’s a very efficient razor with a good, comfortable feel and a design that makes you feel totally in control - it’s polished and refined, for sure, but a higher level of efficiency than I expected, some blade feel, and not as mindless or carefree as the Overlander. They say the WR2 0.95 has negative blade exposure, but I feel the blade clearly and I guess that’s because the gap is large and my skin is never so taut that the blade doesn’t reach.

As I said, if you have a problem with the WR2 0.95 it is more likely to be that it’s MORE aggressive than you wanted. But the blade feel is less than the Blutt 1.20 or the Rocnel Elite, so it ought to slot nicely into your preferred zone.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m as sure as I can be that the WR2 0.95 gap is a better option for you than 1.05 or 1.15. If you’re shaving with a neutral angle there is no need for any more efficiency, and surely any larger gaps would represent some loss of comfort. I just don’t see what benefit the 1.05 or 1.15 gives.

If, on the other hand, you shave steep (as most recommend with the very high gap plates, and I agree) it’s a different story. The 0.95 wouldn’t be efficient enough. And neither would the 1.05 or 1.15. My 1.35 isn’t quite efficient enough for me shaving steep. A steep angle certainly works brilliantly with my 1.55, and that’s a really efficient razor suddenly (and it also feels smoother than the 1.35 - I guess because it is cutting more effectively). You should use the 0.95 neutral - I don’t know if you even can shave steep with it.

Used neutral the 0.95 gap is as efficient for me as the Blutt 1.20 or the Rocnel Elite, possibly even a touch more efficient. I think once a razor spec is at the level of efficiency that gives you the 12hr BBS result you want with minimal buffing (and the 0.95 easily is that) then a more efficient design gives you no benefit - your hair will still be felt after 12hrs, no matter how much more efficient a razor is, because that’s the rate your hair grows and you can’t cut it any closer than this. All you will get beyond that level of efficiency is less comfort.

You’ll see, I’m sure - we usually experience razor efficiency similarly. When I ordered the WR2 0.95 my expectation was that it would be a very mild-feeling, gentle razor for me to use when I just want an easy, comfortable shave, don’t want to feel the blade, and I’m not concerned about the ultimate closeness. I just hoped that it would be decently efficient too, just enough to feel I had a smooth enough shave. I was imagining something like my Overlander, but more polished and refined. It isn’t how I imagined it, though.

Instead it’s a very efficient razor with a good, comfortable feel and a design that makes you feel totally in control - it’s polished and refined, for sure, but a higher level of efficiency than I expected, some blade feel, and not as mindless or carefree as the Overlander. They say the WR2 0.95 has negative blade exposure, but I feel the blade clearly and I guess that’s because the gap is large and my skin is never so taut that the blade doesn’t reach.

As I said, if you have a problem with the WR2 0.95 it is more likely to be that it’s MORE aggressive than you wanted. But the blade feel is less than the Blutt 1.20 or the Rocnel Elite, so it ought to slot nicely into your preferred zone.
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation of Wolfman choices. It calmed down my concerns.

I have learned a few things over the last couple months. I always start steep and raise the razor to find the sweet spot rather than start at the cap and lower the razor handle. It's not the "right" way... I've always done it that way, that's all. As a result, I missed the sweet spot with the Overlander and sold it off prematurely. That said, I still needed to fund my Wolfman and I have those easy shaves covered with the Blutt .86 and my Claymore Evolution... with a Level 1 plate on the way for my Green Cult.

I learned more about that sweet spot with my Athena. That razor has taught me so much... because I can hear the sweet spot. I'm no longer guessing. But it taught me how to reduce the guesswork.. lead me to the better adjustment method. As a result, the shaves with my other razors are already better because of this approach. I learned... I'm not a "steep" shaver... I'm someone who is learning how to find the sweet spot... steep, neutral or shallow... though I don't like riding the cap so those razors don't really appeal to me because I'd have to change the razor angle in a way that is uncomfortable for my wrist... or so I think at this point. I have no issues with either steep or neutral. I've been told, some razors have more leeway... others have a very narrow sweet spot. I don't know enough yet to quantify any of my razors... but I am getting those 12 hour shaves, so I might be on the right track.

I'm still learning how to use the razors I have now. To me, that's a cool thing. It is slowing down my RAD. I might end up with a polished Blutt BR-1 but I'm still undecided about that one. I'll pick up my Wolfman and second Athena in a few months. Other than that... learning the razors I have with the improved techniques I'm learning is reducing that drive to buy new stuff. I've been watching a few people doing the same thing and I've sort of taken up the challenge, if you will. I have a nice DE and AC blade collection from which to choose, so I don't have any real limitations there.

I do admit... I like buying stuff. In the past, I've regulated that by buying the everyday things we need around the house and replacing things that have reached their expiration date, if you will. The plan is to return to that practice. It is a bit hard.... realizing I've come to the end of something. There is a slight void there, knowing I don't really want any more new razors and want to spend the time exploring what I've accumulated already. I went through the same thing with soaps and brushes. That's probably what prompted me to start using DE razors in the first place.. filling the void I felt after the soap and brush research was completed.

As usual, no promises... I know I'll buy another PAA Filament since I gave mine to my wife. I'm already on their "notify me when restocked" list. I might end up with a Wald synth brush, you never know. We are to put X amount in our individual slush funds every month so saving up for something is not all that difficult. But all in all... I'm feeling a sense of contentment that is replacing the void I described earlier. If I pay more attention to that, I'm hoping it increases and the void dissipates.

I do tend to think in font and rattle on, perhaps, more than necessary. For me, that's what this journal is. I will get some "nice" photos up soon, though my efforts pale in comparison to some/most I see here. I bought a nice lightbox but I am drawn to the photos with my wife's red teapot sitting on that teak root top/pedestal table. I'm considering a return to those. Sufficient light is the issue there.

A note to Aaron/ @APBinNCA : Since this is the internet and I missed your joke. I do apologize in a public way. Looking back, I'm sure my impromptu response wasn't necessary. Again, for that, I apologize. I value your input, as I've stated many times. You and @Tomo took me under your wings and lead me though the first step of my journey here. As a result, I have a small collection of mild or unscented soaps I still enjoy. I won't ever forget that. I always read your posts. I love reading about your experiences, along with your suggestions and comments.

A note to Aaron/ @APBinNCA : Since this is the internet and I missed your joke. I do apologize in a public way.
No need for that, but thank you anyway. If anything, I should apologise for having a laugh at your expense, you have to admit Mr Shavington's post was pretty funny and I was reacting to that. I can assure you I wouldn't have laughed had you, or if you, come back to report a loss of blood. It's too bad that the Canada soap is going to last the rest of your life, you are missing out on a couple of new unscented soaps that don't get much discussion around here, but they do show up in random SOTD photos. I have posts on another site where they are a popular discussion, those posters are the ones who drop those SOTD photos here.

Just as a side note since nobody is around right now, I do follow along in detail with all of your razor purchases and like to read Mr Shavington's explanations even though they don't apply to me directly. I do wonder now, though, whether his posts makes the 0.95 choice more certain or less? If I am reading right, and I already knew this about you, shaving steep to neutral may make the 1.05 the better choice? I have read enough 1.15 vs 1.25 threads to know that both of those are probably too much, but there was one person that chose the 1.05 over either. CKMaui I think, I was reading along when he was still deliberating?

Here is the updated Wolfman chart

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
No need for that, but thank you anyway. If anything, I should apologise for having a laugh at your expense, you have to admit Mr Shavington's post was pretty funny and I was reacting to that. I can assure you I wouldn't have laughed had you, or if you, come back to report a loss of blood. It's too bad that the Canada soap is going to last the rest of your life, you are missing out on a couple of new unscented soaps that don't get much discussion around here, but they do show up in random SOTD photos. I have posts on another site where they are a popular discussion, those posters are the ones who drop those SOTD photos here.
I am looking at that unscented soap from Montana.. since I grew up there... Which other unscented soaps are on your radar?

I see your journey Kim and I see similarities. I like buying things too and could buy a world full of razors if I wanted or given the chance (LOTH keeps me in check in that department!).

Thanks to journals like yours and contributions or input from guys like yourself, @Mr. Shavington , David @never-stop-learning , and @Rosseforp to name but a few I get to experience what my want to razors might shave like and decide on yes or no. So far so good and my RAD has tuned down considerably. Especially with my latest addition by @flask28 with the Green Cult 2.0.

I feel I am moving attention to soaps and blade/razor matching more than anything. Maybe one or two more brushes but that’s it.

And the temptation will always be there.

Guido

Last edited:
I am looking at that unscented soap from Montana.. since I grew up there... Which other unscented soaps are on your radar?
I am still making edits on my previous post, please re-read! 🤪

Mo from Grooming Dept has always evolved his base to stay near the top, but has had trouble getting his releases out. He managed to get his retailers supplied on the last release and there is still some available, but probably not anything that you would want. He hasn't been taking orders until he is sure he can ship, but the latest release bit him as he took orders and decided the soap wasn't cured enough. His quality is high now, but a lot of people don't want to deal with all of this. He has a new no alcohol splash that he has been working on for some time. I have been buying from him for a few years and am of two minds, I am sympathetic to the difficulties he has had, but some times frustrated as a long time customer. I have ordered his new Lavender soap and splash and am waiting to hear what's going on, it was supposed to ship Thursday. Pura is the unscented one.

Frank is the mastermind behind Ethos grooming. I have also had one, but only one, of his soaps(but many bottles of his skin food splash) for as long as Mo's. He has worked in the cosmetic industry and has contacts and access to ingredients that other small timers don't. His primary focus is legitimate skin care not just post shave face feel. He has also had several difficulties in the last year and is back on track now. He does, when he has time, custom products especially for people with specific skin conditions. Some of those products have now been released to the public like Tibu Sabuni(cream) and a tribute scent that I can't remember the name of(probably not available right now). His unscented is called clean and is available with a matching splash or you can get a custom splash with something that won't cause a reaction. If you decide to try these out, contact him so you can get them with the latest skin care ingredients that he just released. I have several products from the latest drop including a shave cream that has ended my desire to even try Acqua di Parma! In fact, I am going to get a custom one made in a couple months in a scent he has, but not currently in the tallow cream base. The best thing yet is his new serums, I have been using them for almost a month now.

I guess that's probably enough for now, losing track of my thoughts.

Last edited:
The compulsion to buy things we don’t need in order to feel a sense of reward - I suspect the whole economy is based on that now.

Several of the most valuable companies in the world are merely advertising agencies (e.g. Google, Facebook), a couple of others just make technology to host that advertising and allow you to buy things without getting off the toilet (Apple, Microsoft), and one is an online shop (Amazon). This should tell us something. None of those companies actually do anything except encourage and facilitate shopping - they form a circle of creating and servicing buying addiction, and contribute nothing whatsoever to our lives. How did it all end up this way?

And of course the flip side of this is that everybody works multiples more hours than is needed, making and doing stuff no one needs so that we have money to buy stuff we don’t need. It was already that way a century ago, and has worsened since. A century ago we probably all needed to work three days a week, and now it should be one day or less, or work five days a week and retire in your late thirties.

The good news is that you can of course do that. You can opt out, read books, relax, save your money, work fewer years. If you can beat the addiction. Imagine how good life could be if you didn’t have the internet or a TV.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

Mo from Grooming Dept has always evolved his base to stay near the top, but has had trouble getting his releases out. He managed to get his retailers supplied on the last release and there is still some available, but probably not anything that you would want. He hasn't been taking orders until he is sure he can ship, but the latest release bit him as he took orders and decided the soap wasn't cured enough. His quality is high now, but a lot of people don't want to deal with all of this. He has a new no alcohol splash that he has been working on for some time. I have been buying from him for a few years and am of two minds, I am sympathetic to the difficulties he has had, but some times frustrated as a long time customer. I have ordered his new Lavender soap and splash and am waiting to hear what's going on, it was supposed to ship Thursday. Pura is the unscented one.

Frank is the mastermind behind Ethos grooming. I have also had one, but only one, of his soaps(but many bottles of his skin food splash) for as long as Mo's. He has worked in the cosmetic industry and has contacts and access to ingredients that other small timers don't. His primary focus is legitimate skin care not just post shave face feel. He has also had several difficulties in the last year and is back on track now. He does, when he has time, custom products especially for people with specific skin conditions. Some of those products have now been released to the public like Tibu Sabuni(cream) and a tribute scent that I can't remember the name of(probably not available right now). His unscented is called clean and is available with a matching splash or you can get a custom splash with something that won't cause a reaction. If you decide to try these out, contact him so you can get them with the latest skin care ingredients that he just released. I have several products from the latest drop including a shave cream that has ended my desire to even try Acqua di Parma! In fact, I am going to get a custom one made in a couple months in a scent he has, but not currently in the tallow cream base. The best thing yet is his new serums, I have been using them for almost a month now.

I did reread your previous post.... thx for your thoughts.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just wanted to say there's some amazing discussion going on at @Phoenixkh's house today. Reading this morning's posts here I feel like my shaving maturity just jumped forward a year.

You guys are all fantastically descriptive, thoughtful and helpful. Thank you!!
These discussions have been so useful to me since I found B&B. You aren't the only one.. I learn so much here.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I have some GD pre-shave.. actually two containers of it.. it's very nice but relatively expensive. I still have 1.5 containers of Baum.be pre-shave as well as their shaving cream.. great stuff.

I've been using PAA pre-shave for a while now. I need to get back to those other two. I talked with Mo about unscented at the time... he didn't have any. Ethos was out of theirs as well back when I was seriously looking. That was before I found Canada Shaving Soap.

Top Bottom