What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

I just checked Royal mail and now is that my Claymore is leaving the UK. 7 days after ordering🤣😫
I guess that strike really has them in slow motion!
Portugal's carrier seems to be doing better. My Tatara is already in Lisbon getting dispatched to the USA.
I ordered that one 4 days ago!

I'm not sure what I can add at this point. The ATT X1 is a pleasure to use.
Same boat here!
Everything I'm buying and have is up against the X1 every time. It's tough because I'm comparing them all to it.
And every time I'm finding myself saying that the X1 is the best and it's the one that I want to use every time.
It's gonna be real hard to find something this good. Let's see how the Claymore & Tatara Nodachi do!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I went back to the Blutt BR-1 /1.20 base plate today. I should have changed out the 7 O'clock black since this was its 4th use. I thought I could stretch it and I did but it wasn't all that smooth on the last pass or touch-ups. Still, my face is completely smooth and so was the shave. This razor is a keeper.... so much so, I think the Overlander is going to be finding a new home soon. It is lovely, all 24K plated by Chris Spencer but when I use the .86 base plate in the Blutt, it performs equally and it a tad easier to use since the blade is closer to the sides of the head, because the blade tabs are not covered up. I have $175 tied up in it... even though I bought it used.

I'll post a photo tomorrow, perhaps. I'm still learning light box photography. That said, I really do like how things look on our teak root table so that will continue making an appearance. I might have to ask my wife to take those since she's so much better at it than I am. <eg> (she really does have the eye for it.)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Here's the Rudy Brush... I used it today. It's quite nice. I don't think it will replace my SV 2.0 brushes but it's nice. Is it an order of magnitude better than my other 3 synths that made the cut? I don't think so... I'll use it a few more times in a row and then use my ESC Ultimate, Omega Evo Original, and Alpha Shaving G5D and see how they all stack up.

However, the handle Rudy made for me is something else... It feels great and looks even better:

RE_RV Brush Blue.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Congrats! The handle looks fantastic and the SF 25mm is supposed to be an excellent one (I have the 23mm version).
I like it as well as any synth I own.... we'll see if it ends up at the very top. I plan to use my synths for the next couple weeks to determine that. I do tend to like larger brushes. I think the STF could be called a "smaller 25mm". A few of my 26mm feel much larger than that and I do notice the difference, but that said, I had no problem lathering easily. Add to that, it certainly whips a lather in no time.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Two shave record.... I'm enjoying my Blutt BR-1 with the 1.20 base plate. As I already mentioned, I think this is as efficient of a razor with which I'm comfortable. I do have the R41 in house. It will be interesting to see if it, as well as the RR Lupo 95OC are more than I can handle.

I posted on Jim's (@Chan Eil Whiskers ) journal page, I've come to the end of my razor buying frenzy. This doesn't mean I won't add another razor over time, but the frenzy has abated. That said, I have three razors en route. The Merkur 37C HD will get here eventually but it's stuck in Britain at the moment... no tracking movement since the 21st. When I search for it on the USPS website, they say a "label has been created.... etc etc". They don't yet have the package in their possession.

Both the Lambda Athena and the Rocnel Elite are on the way. Rocnel sends their products out FedEx but the courier has to get it to FedEx before I'll know its ETD. Theo @ Lambda checked for me to see what the cost would be to use Express Shipping (FedEx or DHL). It turns out that would add $60 to the cost..... I'm anxious but not That impatient. So it will be at the mercy of the International Post.... and then the USPS when it gets to the States. He said they've been running 7 or 8 days lately.... but my deliveries have been stretching out far beyond that.... but I've only ordered a few things from the UK so many Greece will be different.

I'm still playing around with my new light box.. deciding if I want to use it most of the time or if the more natural setting photos are more my style. I still can't get the SV brush handle lighted up properly... sorry about that.

RE_SOTD 10_31_2022.jpg

Two shave record.... I'm enjoying my Blutt BR-1 with the 1.20 base plate. As I already mentioned, I think this is as efficient of a razor with which I'm comfortable. I do have the R41 in house. It will be interesting to see if it, as well as the RR Lupo 95OC are more than I can handle.

I posted on Jim's (@Chan Eil Whiskers ) journal page, I've come to the end of my razor buying frenzy. This doesn't mean I won't add another razor over time, but the frenzy has abated. That said, I have three razors en route. The Merkur 37C HD will get here eventually but it's stuck in Britain at the moment... no tracking movement since the 21st. When I search for it on the USPS website, they say a "label has been created.... etc etc". They don't yet have the package in their possession.

Both the Lambda Athena and the Rocnel Elite are on the way. Rocnel sends their products out FedEx but the courier has to get it to FedEx before I'll know its ETD. Theo @ Lambda checked for me to see what the cost would be to use Express Shipping (FedEx or DHL). It turns out that would add $60 to the cost..... I'm anxious but not That impatient. So it will be at the mercy of the International Post.... and then the USPS when it gets to the States. He said they've been running 7 or 8 days lately.... but my deliveries have been stretching out far beyond that.... but I've only ordered a few things from the UK so many Greece will be different.

I'm still playing around with my new light box.. deciding if I want to use it most of the time or if the more natural setting photos are more my style. I still can't get the SV brush handle lighted up properly... sorry about that.

View attachment 1549363
Kim,
I didn't know you ordered an Athena and the Rocnel. Maybe I missed it! Thank you for making me feel sane🤣
Awesome looking razors!
My Claymore & the Tatara arrived at JFK 3 days ago. Same day even though one was ordered days after the other and they came from different countries. They're in USPS possession so hopefully it shouldn't be long.
But yes, everything is taking longer than normal!
Can't wait to see when you get those two!

I posted on Jim's (@Chan Eil Whiskers ) journal page, I've come to the end of my razor buying frenzy.
Sure about that?! Coulda fooled me lately 😊
Both the Lambda Athena and the Rocnel Elite are on the way.
W O W!

A3FA9A39-039A-401E-90FD-41B6CCEDA157.gif

You managed to snap up an Athena?! I was on the notification list but unfortunately did not receive an update they were available again. THAT is a super nice catch! Really looking forward your postings on that one.

Awesome Kim! Congrats.

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks LRod and Guido.

Guido, I was on the email list too... didn't get an email either but someone on the Athena thread said they were available on his site. I was lucky enough to get one before they were sold out again.

Some people on that thread are suggesting he reserves razors for those on his waiting list and that they'll be notified soon. I guess we'll have to see if you get a notification. I hope you do.

Larry, I bought both over the weekend. It wasn't an impulse purchase, though. Well, the Athena wasn't. I've been looking at it for a few months. What a beautiful piece of shaving art.

I didn't even know the Elite was available but @Mr. Shavington reviewed his the other day. He likes the same kinds of things in a razor that I do, so after reading his posts about the Elite, I decided it was for me and it hasn't been available since 2019 so I decided to scoop one up before they are no longer available... again.

Thanks LRod and Guido.

Guido, I was on the email list too... didn't get an email either but someone on the Athena thread said they were available on his site. I was lucky enough to get one before they were sold out again.

Some people on that thread are suggesting he reserves razors for those on his waiting list and that they'll be notified soon. I guess we'll have to see if you get a notification. I hope you do.

Larry, I bought both over the weekend. It wasn't an impulse purchase, though. Well, the Athena wasn't. I've been looking at it for a few months. What a beautiful piece of shaving art.

I didn't even know the Elite was available but @Mr. Shavington reviewed his the other day. He likes the same kinds of things in a razor that I do, so after reading his posts about the Elite, I decided it was for me and it hasn't been available since 2019 so I decided to scoop one up before they are no longer available... again.
The Athena is a work of art for sure!
And the Elite? Right up my alley. I've had my eye on it too. But I know myself, I'd get it and then be pissed that I didn't go for the Sailor. But it's a huge price difference!
You know I've got 3 on the way so I think it's time for a little $$ break, Lol!!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Athena is a work of art for sure!
And the Elite? Right up my alley. I've had my eye on it too. But I know myself, I'd get it and then be pissed that I didn't go for the Sailor. But it's a huge price difference!
You know I've got 3 on the way so I think it's time for a little $$ break, Lol!!
My shaving slush fund is now depleted so I'll have to put things on hold until it gets refunded next year or sell off a few things. LOL

But truth be told, I'm happy with what I have now. The same thing happened with my brush buying frenzy. At the end, I knew I had assembled what I had started out to accomplish. It's the same with razors now. I have enough great razors to last me for a long time. It will take me through the end of the year to get enough experience with them all to know which ones I could part with comfortably and which ones to keep. Or, I could just keep them all and enjoy some more than others. I don't think I have a bad one (for me) in the bunch, thankfully. Of course, if there is one that just doesn't work for me, it will be one that cost me $50, I'm sure. <eg>

Top Bottom