What's new

Phoenix artisan accoutrements plastic de opencomb slant

Got this razor for a bit of fun as it was cheap, turns out it gave me a great shave.
Astra Blade
Tabac shaving soap
Baxters Bay Rub shaving balm

Anybody else used these?

Attachments

• IMG_9126.jpeg
    IMG_9126.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
At $27, I couldn't resist checking out the "Filament". First shave with it today. A fun razor to shave with. Close comfortable shave. No Cuts, no nicks, no errors. No irritation. Loaded a German 'Dovo Super Platinum' blade. Made sure I used a dense slick, forgiving soap, which was 'Sewickley'. No matter what I shave with, a conscious secure grip trumps dwelling on presure/no pressure, which then just becomes minimum necessary. A razor like this I think is great for 'changing things up' for guys that like a rotation. It would be an unusual choice for a 'daily driver'. I finished off with Phoenix Artisan's "Frost Byte Star Jelly". Man if you like the cold burn of those eucalyptus post shave products, this on really packs a punch! disipates in about ten minutes but lingers lightly for about 45 minutes.
inbound4473946610829127759.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
At $27, I couldn't resist checking out the "Filament". First shave with it today. A fun razor to shave with. Close comfortable shave. No Cuts, no nicks, no errors. No irritation. Loaded a German 'Dovo Super Platinum' blade. Made sure I used a dense slick, forgiving soap, which was 'Sewickley'. No matter what I shave with, a conscious secure grip trumps dwelling on presure/no pressure, which then just becomes minimum necessary. A razor like this I think is great for 'changing things up' for guys that like a rotation. It would be an unusual choice for a 'daily driver'. I finished off with Phoenix Artisan's "Frost Byte Star Jelly". Man if you like the cold burn of those eucalyptus post shave products, this on really packs a punch! disipates in about ten minutes but lingers lightly for about 45 minutes. View attachment 1665078
I have a second Filament now... my wife permanently borrowed the first one... it's on my slate for a slant razor trial coming up after a Wolfman then two Athena shaves.

I have been toying with the idea of trying a slant. But I don't know, I wouldn't say $27 + $5 shipping for an ABS plastic razor is cheap? For $8 more why not get a plated full brass Fatip slant ($40 free shipping)?

I guess if you are looking for a light weight slant, the PAA fits that bill, and the colors are fun, but still.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I wouldn't say $27 + $5 shipping for an ABS plastic razor is cheap?

Lemme throw a little perspective at that...

The "Monster" series PAA slants are -- amazingly enough -- pretty faithful iterations of the Fasan Double Slant. Which is to say, highly helical. They're also quite mild out of the box, so should not intimidate a new slantee. All-in $32 is a darn cheap price for such an excellent razor. I've paid less for razors, and they were crud. I've paid more for razors (lots!) and while they're good there's a "Smiles Per Dollar" ratio that just kicks off in spades when the El Fantasma is on the counter.

Not knockin' the FOCS, another great razor. But don't judge a razor by the price tag. It's a really great place to jump into slants.

O.H.

I have been toying with the idea of trying a slant. But I don't know, I wouldn't say $27 + $5 shipping for an ABS plastic razor is cheap? For $8 more why not get a plated full brass Fatip slant ($40 free shipping)?

I guess if you are looking for a light weight slant, the PAA fits that bill, and the colors are fun, but still.
If you like efficient, get the PAA, the are every bit the great grandchildren of the Fasan.

I had the Fatip, and it is an excellent shaver, but more middle-of-the-road for me.

I generally do not like light razors, but the Fine aluminum and the Filament are just really, really good.

You guys are bad influences! My toyed idea has come to fruition.

I got the one that glows in the dark, which I figure it can act as a night light in my bathroom. There is a product warning about shaving in the dark but you know how it goes when you tell someone not to do something...

Last edited:
You guys are bad influences! My toyed idea has come to fruition.

I got the one that glows in the dark, which I figure it can act as a night light in my bathroom. There is a product warning about shaving in the dark but you know how it goes when you tell someone not to do something...
Good for you! Not that the Fatip isn't a winner too.

The el Fantasma can be twisted open slightly for a more assertive shave or bottom shimmed to get the larger gap without a looser handle.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I just looked up a Fasan on the bay and WOW, some are expensive now, but they look very nice. PAA did a good job replicating the style.

You made my point; thank you. About $30 for a razor that works that well? You could bank the difference and take a congenial person out to dinner for an evening.

I forget how much I paid for my Fasan. It's a first version, all Zamak. It had lost so much of the plating over the years that I had it stripped and cerakoted by a gunsmith. It works but I always say it's as loose as the transmission in an old Ford pickup -- gotta pay attention to lining up the blade correctly. Brought that sucker back from the dead, though, which was a good feeling. I'll pull it out one of these odd-come-shorts and give it a play and take pix.

O.H.

Had my first shave with the El Fantasma loaded with a Parker Premium Platinum blade today, with good results but mixed feelings.

I will admit it was scary seeing this instrument loaded with a blade, definitely reminded me of a guillotine and at that point I was ready to abort the shave. But once I got going I was fine. I received a lot of audible feedback and scraping noises/sensations. I also felt like a lot of tugging was happening, but I attribute that maybe to my blade choice or technique? I went with something middle of the road for sharpness to play it safe, but now I am wondering if maybe a sharper Gillette Nacet or Gillette SharpEdge from my available inventory would pair better.

The shave was definitely efficient for my one pass routine and it was quite close. No cuts or weepers but I had much more sting feedback from the alum rub then I would normally get with my Fatip Gentile/Nacet combo. Because I was so tentative, I missed some big areas but I will do a normal shave tomorrow to finish out an almost done Nacet.

Definitely an interesting shave. Not sure if I loved or hated it.

Last edited:
Me.👍

I've been pleased with my PAA razors (Ascension DOC, Alpha Ecliptic, Phantom Blue, Starling). I tried their Ecliptic and Phantom because I found the others to be at least as good as, if not better than, the originals. E.g., original Fasans are expensive, and you're taking a gamble on the seller's honesty & photography regarding the presence of cracks & chips.

Top Bottom