What's new

Philosophical Shift in my approach to wetshaving

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It only took me about 9 months to settle down into a comfortable razor routine. With only five M7DS's and a few other razors, I am content (for now) with what I have. I just rotate through my meager M7DS collection, changing once a week. Every sixth week I take some of my other razors for a drive, just to keep my hand in.

Not needing to
buy anything else is a great
feeling. A secure peaceful state of mind. Use what makes you
happy , forget about all the other stuff!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I’m still messing around with brushes though. I’ve found they make the biggest difference to the shave experience, even using the exact same soap.
For me if I like the brush that’s enough. I think at times I could go brushless much of the time. For me razors make the difference and they need not be high end. I think my den will be very different a tear from now. Lean and mean so to speak. Only the items I like the very most will stay.

OP, it’s a liberating feeling when you arrive as you have. I can’t say I’ve arrived but I can see the port and the dock.

I've settled down to 8 razors. Since I shave 4 times a week, each one gets a drive every 14 days. Three brushes, though lately I've been preferring the APShaveCo synthetic tuxedo brush. Four soaps, 1 sample, 1 almost used up, 3 creams, and 1 can of Barbasol, with a tube of Proraso Green cream on the way. I hope soon to narrow things to a couple of creams and a couple of soaps.

I'm working to that end, standardizing on what works best for me, and trying to live simply, but at the moment I'm still trying out stuff. However, I am concluding that expensive razors, brushes, pre shaves, soaps, balms and moisturizers don't necessarily produce better results.

I get closer to my ideal set up with every purchase. I’ve been making lots of progress lately!

On a serious note there is an end game for me. I’ve recently completed my brush collection with a nice selection of nine badger brushes and one synth. Way more than I need but it’s nice change things up. I generally use a brush for a week at a time and then change. I’ve narrowed my soaps down to eight keepers and realised that I don’t need more than six on the go at any one time. I’ve got 4 razors and could probably do with another two. I’ve settled on straights for at home and DE’s for on tour. I’m currently exploring the natural finishers and would like to have a small collection of the major types. After that I’ll call this journey complete retire from active acquisitions.

I’ve never been a hoarder but I like having a small, well curated arsenal of fine tools at my disposal. Luckily I’ve been pretty good at selling and PIFing the things that didn’t work out. Having a back log of soap that you need to use up seems like a chore rather than a pleasure. Everything in the den sees regular use otherwise it moves on. Nearly there now.

I am the same. Started in Dec 2009 and tried MANY products. Now I am settled and I am currently trying to declutter my shave gear and my life in general.

I use a Broman with a Derby Premium saloon blade, half Feather or half Astra SP almost every day. Some variety without excess. Occasionally, and when travelling, I use a Gillette Guard. The pivoting SE is ‘my thing’ - took me years to discover this!

I keep an English Ballend Tech and an Edwin Jagger DE89 as backups. But I have sold all my other DE razors and may even sell one of these. Dare I say it - I don’t ‘like’ DE shaving that much anymore!

I use Erasmic cream most days, with occasional uses of Proraso or Body Shop cream. I used MWF for ages which I love but creams are my favourite now simply due to their convenience and my new found shower shaving routine.

I have two brushes - a Yaqi Sagrada Familia and a Well Groomed Wizard synthetic travel brush. All I need.

I have also decluttered my Barbour jackets - another previous addiction of mine! Cut down from 10 to 3. The struggle is real.

Top Bottom