What's new

Philips Norelco Series 9000 Prestige Electric Razor is the best electric razor I ever used.

Bob, they don't use that much electricity, or take up much counter space. Being that you can't take the shaving cartridge apart the cleaning unit does give it a more thorough cleaning. Cleaning solution is cheap if you make it yourself, heck you can even just use
Rubbing alcohol as the solution if you want too. Just remember to put some shaver lube on the foil, and cutters after the alcohol dries. As for brushes I agree they ought to include a cleaning brush. A soft toothbrush does work though.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk
Braun now combines the screen and cutters together into a single cassette which is more difficult to clean than separate parts but it doesn’t seem to make any difference. I have been using this shaver for nine months without rinsing the cassette and nothing unusual nor bad has resulted. Obviously, the inside of the cassette is not surgically clean but neither has any other previous screen shavers I have owned. My previous shaver was a Panasonic ES8103 which I rinsed weekly under running water with a little liquid hand soap and was not surgically clean. If whatever is left in the cassette after tapping out the clippings was harmful or contained pathogens, then the cassette would have developed an odor or the screen would begin to irritate my skin. I would certainly clean it more throughly if I was sharing the shaver with other men.🤮

Unfortunately, counter space on my bathroom sink is at a premium. If I was going to make my own cleaning fluid I would just forego the cleaning station and just soak the cassette in isopropyl alcohol.

BTW my Braun shaver did not come with any lubricant.

Here’s what the owner’s manual says about cleaning:
Cleaning with a brush
• Switch off the shaver. Remove the Foil & Cutter cassette (1) and tap it out on a flat
surface. Using a brush, clean the inner area of the pivoting head. However, do not clean the cassette with the brush as this may damage it.

Other than this statement found in ‘Cleaning Under Running Water’, there is no mention in the instructions of needing to apply lubricant:

If you regularly clean the shaver under water, then once a week apply a drop of light
machine oil (not included) on top of the Foil & Cutter cassette and the long hair trimmer.

However, in the trouble shooting section there are several references to applying light machine oil to the screen if the shave looses performance after rinsing it under water.

There are several websites that discuses the need for lubricating an electric shaver yet Braun only recommends it if you use or clean the shaver with water.

My plan is to follow the dry instructions from Braun and see what happens. So far the shaver works perfectly, the battery capacity lasts at least 14 days and my shaves are excellent.

If you are going to shave in the shower the shaver has to be fully immersible for safety purposes. My Braun 7893s has a switch to allow selection of three different speeds. This is supposed to change the aggressiveness for different parts of your face. I have tried selecting all three settings and can’t tell any difference in the speed of the motor, sound of the shaver nor of any difference in feel of the shaver on my face. I just leave this gimmicky feature set to the most aggressive setting. Both the Panasonic 9000 and the Braun Series 8 and 9 automatically adjust the speed of the motor by reading your beard as you shave and making the aggressiveness adjustments automatically. If the manual adjustment doesn’t make any difference in the speed why would an automatic version be better? The reviewer of the Panasonic 9000 Prestige did notice a difference in speed from the automatic function while using the trimmer but no difference after setting the speed manually.

Another feature that seems silly is a power switch lock. Both the Panasonic 9000 and the Braun series 8 shavers allow the power switch to be locked to prevent accidentally running the shaver down while it’s packed while traveling. Both shavers come with a hard sided travel case which should prevent accidentally pressing the power switch to run while it’s packed in your luggage. I just pack the power cord in my shaving kit in the event this ever happens. You could say that I’m like a man who wears both a belt and suspenders, a true safety expert. 😆

In the end at every company revenue is king and everything else takes a back seat. Innovation and improvements drive sales which generate profits. Making an electric shaver immersible to two atmospheres seems silly. I don’t think anyone would shave while under water. However, if you liked shaving in the bathtub, that might be a selling point to get you to buy the shaver. Personally I think shaving wet with an electric shaver seems to defeat the speed and convenience reason for using an electric shaver. Panasonic was the first electric shaver I saw that could be used in the shower. The box depicted a man being shaved in the shower by a beautiful blond woman. I never tried using it in the shower because I’m still waiting for that beautiful blond woman to show up. 😝 I bet that picture sold a lot of shavers some of which were actually used while showering.

I have come to realize proper wet shaving makes too much of a mess in my small apartment's bathroom- that, along with less skin irritation, are the main reasons I mostly use electric shavers now days.

Machine oil gums things up, and vegetable oil goes rancid and stinks. Braun supplies all their shavers with mineral oil.

Clayton

I actually have been experimenting with a non-toxic, soy based machine lube. It's similar to a gun CLP and is called Biokleen. It seems to work as well as mineral oil, and doesn't attract grit or feel greasy. It becomes a film, similar to a dry lube. It's extremely slick.

I have come to realize proper wet shaving makes too much of a mess in my small apartment's bathroom- that, along with less skin irritation, are the main reasons I mostly use electric shavers now days.

I actually have been experimenting with a non-toxic, soy based machine lube. It's similar to a gun CLP and is called Biokleen. It seems to work as well as mineral oil, and doesn't attract grit or feel greasy. It becomes a film, similar to a dry lube. It's extremely slick.
As I’ve said several times electric shaving is convenient.

If you use your shaver dry, then Braun doesn’t recommend applying any lubricant to the shaver. In the owner’s manual they recommend using light machine oil. Why would you use anything else? I have been in the aviation business for 40 years and following the manufactures recommendations ensures safety. Boeing is paying the price today with the 737 Max where they failed to inform the pilots of the existence of the MCAS system that was added to the 737 Max for certification purposes.

Last edited:

This afternoon I enjoyed a wet shave with my Series-9 and basically came away bbs everywhere except for a couple spots below my jawline. The warm Barbasol lather applied with my badger/boar brush was really nice. The red light came on on the cleaning unit so it was time to rotate the Series-7 back into use. My Braun shavers always give me a smooth comfortable irritation free shave, and today the Series-9 removed a weeks worth of heavy growth. My next shave will be with the Series-7.

Clayton

As I’ve said several times electric shaving is convenient.

If you use your shaver dry, then Braun doesn’t recommend applying any lubricant to the shaver. In the owner’s manual they recommend using light machine oil. Why would you use anything else? I have been in the aviation business for 40 years and following the manufactures recommendations ensures safety. Boeing is paying the price today with the 737 Max where they failed to inform the pilots of the existence of the MCAS system that was added to the 737 Max for certification purposes.

That's basically what Biokleen is, a substitute for WD-40 or household light machine oil. It doesn't have a petroleum odor.

This type of lube does a good job from keeping the stubble from clumping up. I just put a drop on top of the foil and run it for a few seconds, then turn it upside down and run it a few more, then wipe the foil off with toilette paper. The foil on my Braun Pocket has lasted quite a while, I'm still using the original it came with, only now thinking of swapping it out.

That's basically what Biokleen is, a substitute for WD-40 or household light machine oil. It doesn't have a petroleum odor.

This type of lube does a good job from keeping the stubble from clumping up. I just put a drop on top of the foil and run it for a few seconds, then turn it upside down and run it a few more, then wipe the foil off with toilette paper. The foil on my Braun Pocket has lasted quite a while, I'm still using the original it came with, only now thinking of swapping it out.
Looks like a good product. I don’t think that it’s necessary to use anything if you shave dry. Braun claims that the head cassette should be replaced every 18 months. They even provide a warning light to remind you to buy a new cassette. I plan on ignoring the light as long as the quality of the shaves remains the same. It will be interesting to see if following Braun’s owner’s manual for dry shaving equals or exceeds their expected life of the cutter/screen cassette.

Who sell's the Biokleen?.

Clayton

Looks like a good product. I don’t think that it’s necessary to use anything if you shave dry. Braun claims that the head cassette should be replaced every 18 months. They even provide a warning light to remind you to buy a new cassette. I plan on ignoring the light as long as the quality of the shaves remains the same. It will be interesting to see if following Braun’s owner’s manual for dry shaving equals or exceeds their expected life of the cutter/screen cassette.
Rinsing or running it through the cleaning unit seems to extend the life of the cartridge. I get two year's or more out of mine. The cartridge on my Series-7 is 3 years old. I may swap it out in the next year.

Clayton

Rinsing or running it through the cleaning unit seems to extend the life of the cartridge. I get two year's or more out of mine. The cartridge on my Series-7 is 3 years old. I may swap it out in the next year.

Clayton

Clayton, time will tell if the cutter/screen cassette makes it to 18 moths or more. All i’m Doing is tapping out the cuttings onto tissue paper daily. If I get two years worth of good dry shaves from the cassette I will be happy.

I've been experimenting alternating Braun Appliance Oil and Biokleen with a Braun M-60 Pocket shaver. Biokleen seems to produce less friction and heat, judging by the sounds of the shaver and also the amount of heat on the foil. Motor RPM's are definitely higher using Biokleen. However, Biokleen might have to be reapplied more often- only time will tell.

Another good product is ESC Maintanence Oil, which I also got off Amazon. It reminds me of a light machine oil that I used to use on model trains. It's lighter than Braun's Appliance Oil, and is also non-toxic.

Last edited:
I've been experimenting alternating Braun Appliance Oil and Biokleen with a Braun M-60 Pocket shaver. Biokleen seems to produce less friction and heat, judging by the sounds of the shaver and also the amount of heat on the foil. Motor RPM's are definitely higher using Biokleen. However, Biokleen might have to be reapplied more often- only time will tell.

Another good product is ESC Maintanence Oil, which I also got off Amazon. It reminds me of a light machine oil that I used to use on model trains. It's lighter than Braun's Appliance Oil, and is also non-toxic.
Braun only recommends with their seven series shavers that applying light machine oil to the screens and trimmer is only required if you rinse the shaver or shave wet. I’m following their instructions and not applying any oil because I am using the shaver only dry.

Clayton

Frequent cleaning and lubrication does extend the life of the cutting heads. Of course that mitigates against some of the simplicity and time-savings of electric shaving, unless you use a cleaning station.

Frequent cleaning and lubrication does extend the life of the cutting heads. Of course that mitigates against some of the simplicity and time-savings of electric shaving, unless you use a cleaning station.

Lubrication extends the life of any piece of machinery with moving parts, particularly parts that move as fast as an electric razor head. They may get sufficient lubrication from skin oils and/or a pre-shave if you shave dry. If you shave wet (as I do) it's critical to lubricate the heads if you want the maximum life out of your cutters. Hence the value of a cleaning station - for me. I rinse the heads after use and pop the shaver in the station. My shaver is being cleaned and lubricated while I clean up and apply AS - no further effort or time needed. And it's ready to go for the next morning's shave. It's a convenience, that costs less than $5 a month - the price of a Starbucks. Right for me - maybe not for you if you don't want the cost or the clutter, or simply don't have space for a station, but there's no argument regarding the efficiency or effectiveness of a cleaning station. I regard it as a dishwasher - something present in most homes - for your shaver. A dishwasher makes noise, takes up space, uses electricity, water and detergent. And you can certainly wash dishes effectively by hand - not as effectively or as sanitary - although generally effective and sanitary enough. But no one would argue the convenience.

That may be true. I’m not going to rinse it under water, nor have a cleaning station and will only use it dry. We will see if in fact the cutter lasts the entire 18 months. The shaver has an indicator light to remind you to change toe cassette in 18 months. I suspect that I should be able to get more usage out of the cutter/screen cassette.

There are sites on the web that recommended lubricating electric shavers regardless of the manufactures recomdations in the owner’s manual. I began using Braun electric shavers in the early 1960s and I never lubricated them. Obviously, those shavers could only be used dry.

This afternoon I enjoyed a wet shave with my Series-9 and basically came away bbs everywhere except for a couple spots below my jawline. The warm Barbasol lather applied with my badger/boar brush was really nice. The red light came on on the cleaning unit so it was time to rotate the Series-7 back into use. My Braun shavers always give me a smooth comfortable irritation free shave, and today the Series-9 removed a weeks worth of heavy growth. My next shave will be with the Series-7.

Clayton

Though I love the Norelco Prestige, I also like the Braun and Panosonic. Its nice we have choices to meet our personal preference.

I am curious what difference you find when you switch between the Series 7 and 9 Braun shavers. The one problem I had with my older Braun was the neck area. So does the 9 series cut any better.

I have seen a list of best norelco shaver: Best Norelco Shavers: Guide to Choose Best Norelco Shaver - https://bestshaverguides.com/best-norelco-shavers/

I don't know which one is good.

Kindly suggest which one should I use my budget is less.

First, welcome to B&B! A great site to explore all things shaving from some friendly and helpful folks. To address your question, there really isn't a "best" shaver, as you'll probably hear from many on the forum. It really depends on your beard, your face, your experience and your preferences. You mention Norelco's rotaries, but not if you have any experience with electric shavers, or rotaries in particular. You've come to the right place for feedback, but you'll probably get a lot, based on individual preferences, so it may be confusing. You also didn't mention what you're using now, if you're coming from another electric, or a bladed razor (cartridge, DE, SE or straight). A little more detail would be helpful to give you some direction. You started out right by coming here and the site you reference - here's another pretty good review site for electrics:

Electrics basically come in two varieties - rotary and foil - and both have very different shaving characteristics. The "Big 3" of manufacturers are Braun, Panasonic and Philips Norelco by volume of sales, with Remington as a "sometime" fourth. Norelco and Remington both produce rotary shavers, and dabble in foils, while Braun and Panasonic are (almost) strictly foil.

Electrics are also very different than bladed razors, and among members here the vast majority will be "classical" wet shavers, but many will sometimes use an electric as well occasionally or for touchup, and some use an electric exclusively. There are also "dry" electric shavers and "wet" electric shavers. I switch routinely using DE razors, cartridges and wet electric shavers, but that's a unique approach. And you didn't mention why you might be considering an electric over a bladed razor, or how much you might want to spend. The link you posted doesn't include Norelco's high end rotaries, nor are the shavers listed Norelco's "best" in my opinion, and they don't specify how they came up with the list, but they're all "good" rotary shavers. And just for budget comparison, you can get a really nice DE razor for much less than a "fair" or "good" electric shaver, although with an electric, depending on how you shave, you can avoid the expense of blades, software and brushes, although you will eventually need to replace the head.

For a short answer, from the site link you provided my personal preference would be the 7000 Series (7500), because it provides the most comfortable shave of any rotary in my opinion, and is particularly good for someone new to rotaries. Best advice is to continue reading the reviews, digest the advice given, determine what seems to fit what you think you may want and press on. The good news is that all of the manufacturers have a pretty generous return policy - usually 30 to 60 days - and you can return a razor that doesn't meet your expectations, but you really need to give an electric at least a couple of weeks (or more) of continuous use to see if you like it - same goes for any shaving method really. Good luck and look forward to hearing about your results!

Last edited:
Top Bottom